Gloves while shooting?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gloves while shooting?

Post by Javier730 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I sometimes wear gloves when I'm shooting with a suppressor.....not to aid in the shooting, but to protect my hands from getting burned by the can accidentally.
Or maybe so you don't leave any fingerprints. :shock:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Javier730 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I sometimes wear gloves when I'm shooting with a suppressor.....not to aid in the shooting, but to protect my hands from getting burned by the can accidentally.
Your almost there......... It's so that I don't leave the skin of my fingers stuck to the suppressor. :cryin
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

I find myself never wearing gloves except in the duck blind. Then it is only an Under Armour liner glove on the right hand and a thicker one on the left. It has to be real cold for me to wear gloves as I can't seem to do anything with them on. Even when I work on something and tell myself to wear gloves to keep my hands clean, I usually take then off and end up with dirty hands. I might see if I can get my hands on the Magpul gloves to check out how they fit.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Javier730 wrote:
Your almost there......... It's so that I don't leave the skin of my fingers stuck to the suppressor. :cryin
So much for being a secret assassin. :biggrinjester:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

stroo

Post by stroo »

When I was having trouble with my right wrist, I tried wearing mechanix gloves with padding. It didn't really help my wrist and was uncomfortable so I went to shooting and carrying left handed until my wrist got better.

A side benefit was that my left handed shooting really improved a lot. It still isn't as good as right handed but pretty close.

Ustota
Location: https://diceus.com/java-vs-php-enterprise-applications/

Post by Ustota »

I don't like gloves. They always got in the way, and my agility went to hell. It all went out the window after one trip to the desert. My guns were so hot from the sun that I could not hold them.

Since then I have bought a pair of OSH gloves that are great and feel good. They have fine leather protection on their palms and fingers, great for heat, but I still feel like I’m doing it. They fit tightly, which I wanted. I would advise to go to several hardware stores and try it all.
All the best, best hunting gloves

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

I am a fan of the Mechanix, Mpact gloves. They have them in several colors, they have rubberised backside finger and knuckle protection, they are flexible, have leather palm, and finger coverage. I have several pairs, in black and coyote tan. They are thinner, so they don't work as well for warmth, in extremely cold weather, but down to about 30 degrees, they work great.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I have a Freedom Arms 83 in 454 Casull. I’m usually not sensitive to recoil but this thing was a beast and I had to wear gloves shooting it. It actually had more felt recoil that my 4” S&W 500. I sent the 83 to get Magna Ported and now it’s tolerable but if I’m firing a box of ammo (when working up loads) I’ll wear gloves. Other than that I don’t wear them unless it’s cold and tm hunting.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I've used Mechanix Wear Original Covert on those unusual Texas days that are too cool for bare hands, but not cold enough for thick gloves. https://www.mechanix.com/the-original-c ... cal-gloves I also use them on those rare occasions on which I get to fire more than 300 rounds in a day. The external safety on my M&P 9mm 5inch gets uncomfortable after about 350.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

karder

Post by karder »

I don't like shooting gloves. A couple of weeks ago I did a training class that used simunition and I was advised to wear gloves as folks get shot in the hands a lot. I think that is the only time I have ever worn gloves while shooting.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I have one carbine that I've not changed out the trigger.

Thi stock trigger pinches my finger.

Solution: Glove on trigger hand. Initially, I tried a band aid on trigger finger, but it wouldn't stay on after 50+ rounds.

Of course, I don't shoot this gun all that much now so it's not worth getting a Geissle for it.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I never wear gloves when I shoot. My daily and weekend activities never place me in a position to wear gloves for any length of time. In Texas it's never that cold for me. I do not have medical issues at this stage in my life that would require me to wear gloves when it is 20*. The car steering wheel is heated, the truck has a heater like an oven and other car heater works as well. When I am at the club in Jan and Feb, and the wind chill is in the teens I do not see the 70 and 80 year old Vets wear gloves, as well. I see the rifle guys putting them on to keep their hands warm, but when they pull the trigger. I only see skin touching metal. I say if it works for you, pull the trigger..

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

I do practice occasionally with gloves especially when the weather turns cooler. I practice drawing and dry firing at home, because there may be a chance I will have to use my gun, while wearing gloves, and I want know that I can do it if necessary. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I just hate gloves. I rarely wore them when I lived in New England. I pretty much only shoot 9mm semi-automatics, so recoil isn't an issue any more than the cold is here in Galveston. Seems as though lots of plants now have a policy of wearing gloves when using any hand tools. I find it near impossible to tweak an instrument wearing anything over my fingers. Fine trigger control would be just as bad, and operating a slide release or safety seems cumbersome. Like everything else simplicity usually works best.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”