Multitool suggestions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 6

Multitool suggestions

Post by cmgee67 »

Howdy folks I'm looking to pick up new multitool and wanted to see what y'all like to carry and how. I have had several leathemans and Swiss Army knives over the years and havnt carried one in about three years. I used to carry one in addition to my main blade everyday but I fell out of practice.

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Multitool suggestions

Post by vjallen75 »

cmgee67 wrote:Howdy folks I'm looking to pick up new multitool and wanted to see what y'all like to carry and how. I have had several leathemans and Swiss Army knives over the years and havnt carried one in about three years. I used to carry one in addition to my main blade everyday but I fell out of practice.
I am not expert in multi-tools but it would be good for the forum to know your budget so they can assist you.

I am considering adding one to my EDC
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The only multitools I own, besides a Swiss Army "Champion" model of knife, are all weapons related. I own these three items:
The MUT is a very nicely made tool, but it lacks some features, which the two Real Avid multitools provide. It is a very handy way to have a large variety of tools at hand in fairly small packages for range and field.

In addition to a Benchmade 940-2 folder, I also have one of these riding in my pocket all the time, which is also gun-related, although I've used it for other things: Real Avid AR-15 Micro Tool. I also bought one of their universal shotgun choke tools. All of their stuff is well made and quite affordable, but their tools all tend to be gun-related. If you're looking for something more for general use, a Leatherman or a higher end Swiss Army knife might be the ticket for you.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I carry a super leatherman, and have for 30 years. Same one as a matter of fact. All the blades lock, the screwdrivers have nice crisp edges, and it has proved invaluable many, many times. The only thing that has degraded with time are the wire cutting edges. I keep the knife blade razor sharp, and it's surprising how well it takes an edge.

I carry enough on my belt already, so the leatherman stays in a front jeans pocket.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

I guess it depends on what you wish to get out of it. For me, the average multi-tool has more than I need for daily use. They are heavy and s bit bulky. Because of this I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. There are several models to choose from, but they all essentially have the same tools: a knife, pliers with a wire cutter, and a screwdriver. The screwdriver has replaceable bits to accommodate different projects. Over all it is pretty light and about the same size as a folding knife.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Leatherman wave.

Thank me now and never turn back.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Victorinox SwissTool for me since many years and it still holds up.

http://bestmulti-tool.com/victorinox-sw ... ol-review/

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Sorry I didn't include my budget. I am willing to go Up to about 80$ or so but I don't like the super heavy ones but the features that I want are: knife, Phillips and flathead screwdriver, pliers/wire cutter, bottle opener, and scissors if possible. But I realize with what I want I will have to take some weight.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

cmgee67 wrote:Sorry I didn't include my budget. I am willing to go Up to about 80$ or so but I don't like the super heavy ones but the features that I want are: knife, Phillips and flathead screwdriver, pliers/wire cutter, bottle opener, and scissors if possible. But I realize with what I want I will have to take some weight.
The Leatherman Skeletool I mentioned has everything you are looking for minus the scissors. It is also well within your budget.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Awesome! I'll have to check out the several variations!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Leatherman super tool 300 is right at your budget. Most Leathermans will be ok. Your better off buying a Wallyworld S&W 20.00 multi-tool than you are buying a Gerber. Stay away from the Gerbers, even the knives.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

What's wrong with the Gerbers? I used to own s few a long time ago but I have heard they have gone down hill a bit

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

uthornsfan wrote:Leatherman wave.

Thank me now and never turn back.

:iagree:

I have an old super tool and the MUT. My son has the sidekick, but for overall utility, the wave is top of the line. It may exceed your budget by a few bucks, but you won't regret it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

I carried a Leatherman Charge on my belt for years. Gave it up once I started carrying; felt like it drew too much attention to the area I was trying to conceal. Maybe I should try the Leatherman on my weak-side??? I'll have to give it a shot.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”