Blazer ammo Fail???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Blazer ammo Fail???

Post by AF-Odin »

Agree with posters who state they have never had a problem with Blazer and I have used the aluminum as well as Blazer Brass. Only issue I have had with ammo has all bee with WWB 9mm and all THREE of those have been failure of the primer to ignite the powder as I pulled the bullets after each instance and there was an appropriate amount of powder in each case. as well as a positive striker imprint on the primer. Only ammo I have hang fires with has been some post WW-II Pakistani .303 that came in stripper clips which were rusted to the rounds. My son referred to this ammo as "Click-Bang" as you would pull the trigger and hear the click, then, wait for it, wait for it BANG after about a second and a half. Pulled the bullets and disposed of components.

As for how long to wait, USAF CATMs Trainers always stressed that in the event of a hang fire, keep muzzle down range and a positive grip on the weapon for at least 30 seconds. Then to extract the round and place in the DUD Bucket (usually a coffee can painted red filled with oil and water--interestingly, always looked like the cigarette butt bucket).
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I tried some Blazer .357 a long time ago and about half the casings got stuck in my S&W revolver. Powder was very, vary dirt too. The few pennies a round difference were not enough to make be by any more.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Blazer ammo in Brass, Aluminum, and even the Nylon has not given me a single issue.
Used in .45, .40 and 9mm.
1000+ brass, 100s+ of the other two. (harder to find!)

I will most always buy it for Target ammo given the choice, since it will be the least expensive.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I've only had a hang fire with a muzzle loader, never a loaded cartridge...

I've heard of lots of duds (especially in rimfire) but not a hangfire. That's a little scary because most are taught to rapidly tap/rack upon a failure... so a short 1/2-1 second hang could happen just as you are pulling it out of battery and your support hand is right over/next to the ejection port. :shock:

rotor

Post by rotor »

I don't buy it because one of my guns is 9 mm ported and Blazer brass says not for ported barrels. Fiocchi always works great and usually can find on sale.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

As reported in an earlier thread, I recently attended a full day of handgun training on the range where I was running CCI Blazer Brass through a couple of Glock 19's.

I had several FTF's as a function of hard primers, some of which would function when I tried them a second time, and some that simply would not. I also noticed (anecdotally) that the lot of CCI Blazer that I was running seemed "dirtier" than prior lots.

So the OP in that thread had no problem with Blazer in his S&W, I had a more than the usual amount of FTF's with Blazer in my Glocks. Is the gun, or the ammo? What's in your magazine?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

extremist

Post by extremist »

Never had a failure with any 9mm Blazer ammo period. In fact I just bought 2K more 124gr rounds yesterday with Midway's sale (and ATK rebate). :hurry:

124gr Blazer Brass is some of the most consistent and accurate 9mm factory ammo I have shot out of my guns, my 4" PPQ absolutely loves it.
124gr Blazer Aluminum is a tad bit hotter in my PPQ, but very accurate and consistent.
115gr are good too, I just think the 124gr are more accurate in my guns.

We have a Glock aficionado at DPC that shoots nothing but Blazer in his Glocks. I have witnessed over the years one or two failures with it using Blazer, but it may have been his Glock "rlol"
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

FCH

Post by FCH »

Interesting comments on the quality of Blazer Brass. I'm waiting on a shipment so I can try it in a Sig P938 that is having Failure to Extract (FTE) issues. Sig blamed the FTEs on Magtech ammo and specifically mentioned Blazer Brass as reliable.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”