So....Does anyone still shoot .40 ????

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mikebass78
Posts in topic: 1

So....Does anyone still shoot .40 ????

Post by mikebass78 »

Just wondering....I see .40 Pistols around so much and for sooo cheap....

Is this a dying/dead round?

Thoughts????

n5wmk

Re: So....Does anyone still shoot .40 ????

Post by n5wmk »

Many law enforcement departments. Corinth and Little Elm both use Glock .40s. I believe Plano also. Not sure about other DFW PDs.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

Yes.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

It is still a very popular round. Before I bought my M&P 9 I fired the same gun in 40. I didn't care for it as much as the 9. I realize my limited test doesn't speak for all guns, in .40 cal, but it was just my personal preference.
I do agree that the number of used guns in .40 seem to outnumber those in 9mm, but I think that has more to do with the initial popularity, of that caliber, and the large numbers of those guns sold. The owners may have moved to other calibers, or just bought other guns in .40
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote:It is still a very popular round. Before I bought my M&P 9 I fired the same gun in 40. I didn't care for it as much as the 9. I realize my limited test doesn't speak for all guns, in .40 cal, but it was just my personal preference.
I do agree that the number of used guns in .40 seem to outnumber those in 9mm, but I think that has more to do with the initial popularity, of that caliber, and the large numbers of those guns sold. The owners may have moved to other calibers, or just bought other guns in .40
I bought a Sig P239 DAK a few years back. A very nice gun, but I can't seem to shoot it well.
I also found it a bit heavy to carry. One of these days I will sell it.
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I love my .40.

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

I bought an SD40, one because I could afford it and two because I prefer larger calibers. After I put an APEX trigger and spring kit in it is a whole different shooter. I buy my ammo at Freedom Munitions for about 60% of store bought so I can afford to throw all I want down range. I don't find the flip to be much worse than my wife's compact 9 and I was used to shooting hot .357s so I am back on target quickly. However, when I buy my compact secondary gun it will probably be 9 just for capacity.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I guess I was ahead of the curve when I got out from under .40 Cal a few years back when I sold off my USPc. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ntexaschl

Post by ntexaschl »

I frequently carry my Kahr MK40. It's a good compact big bore pistol.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I think that with emergence of hot 9mm rounds, .40 is slowly drifting away. .45 folks will always love the big fat 230gr round, but those who love .40 will find much pleasure in higher capacity, lighter guns, with decent 9mm +p 147gr ammo.

Now I see that 10mm is coming back, with federal offering hot 180gr jsp rd, around 600 ft/lbs at 1200 ft/sec I think...

MP(Ret)95B

Post by MP(Ret)95B »

I have a .40 that I carry in warmer weather (Taurus PT140 G2). Lighter weapon for the summer months.
In the "winter" (Texas here), I either carry my Ruger P89 (9MM) or my P90 (.45). Like my .45....both the P89 & P90 are heavy weapons but solid platforms.
Regards,
:patriot: {MP} :txflag:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I switched from .40 to .45 after shooting one of TAMs .45''s. I also didn't know about double stack .45's early on or I might have started with one of the Glocks. However, they didn't have the SF models back then and my hands aren't big enough for the regular ones.

The .40 was recommended to me by an LEO friend. As for round count, with my 21SF I only give up 2 rounds per mag and I think the .45 is easier to shoot than the .40.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

2 9mm, 2 .40s, 1 .45. Shoot & carry them all.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

C-dub wrote:I switched from .40 to .45 after shooting one of TAMs .45''s. I also didn't know about double stack .45's early on or I might have started with one of the Glocks. However, they didn't have the SF models back then and my hands aren't big enough for the regular ones.

The .40 was recommended to me by an LEO friend. As for round count, with my 21SF I only give up 2 rounds per mag and I think the .45 is easier to shoot than the .40.
I had the 40 S&W all models of Glock and a Kahr, sold or traded them all ... I Almost bought a .41AE (Action Express) instead of 40S&W and it would have looked great next to my 8-track tapes, betamax and OS/2 computer operating system disks

After two friends, Officer Jeff Ginn and Officer Les Early were killed, I supplied several Pasadena Police Officers with Glock .40 guns (and some 870 shotguns, and some other weapons) to replace revolvers in the late 1980s/early 1990s a couple got used on duty defending lives..

I carry Glock Model 30S : about the size of a Glock 26, (smaller than a 19, slightly bigger than a 26/27 but holster fits) in .45, I carry loaded with Glock 21 mag +2 baseplate for 16 rounds of .45 (15+1) using Xgrip mag spacer and PearceGrip +2 base plate on the Glock 21 Magazine.
Glock Model 30S Generation 3
(Slim frame like the 30SF model, can use 30SF frame parts +
slim slide like the 36 model, can use 36 barrels/slides)

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

jmorris wrote:2 9mm, 2 .40s, 1 .45. Shoot & carry them all.
Is that two on each side and one in the back? :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”