Walked out of Academy Last Night

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Walked out of Academy Last Night

Post by rtschl »

I don't mind having to show an ID to purchase ammunition - even though it is obvious that I am of legal age. But instead of asking for my ID, the clerk asked for my birth date to to put into her terminal before she could make the sales transaction. I objected. I said I do not mind showing my ID but you do not need to collect my personal information for Academy to keep. She said it was fairly new in the last few weeks. I asked to speak to a manager. He said it was required. I said it is not required by law. He said it is an Academy requirement. I said I would buy my ammunition elsewhere.

My wife and son were with me. She knows it is a principle thing for me because I have been refusing to give my phone, zip, etc. to stores since Radio Shack was doing it in the 80's. I usually buy my ammo online, but it isn't going to be here in time for Saturday range training we're doing so I was just picking up two extra boxes.
Ron
NRA Member

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Walked out of Academy Last Night

Post by skeathley »

As a retired programmer, I can tell you why they do that. They probably don't store that date, as the system doesn't know who you are until you pay, sometimes not then. They do it for liability protection. You have to be over 18, and they want that verified by computer math, not some clerk. Otherwise, that clerk might let underage friends buy ammo. Yes, those friends could lie, but that lets the store off the hook. It's all about CYA.

I once asked a clerk at Cabelas if he couldn't tell I was way over 18, and he said, "yes, but my terminal can't."

This is the world we live in.

:anamatedbanana
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Yeah, I recently had the same thing happen at Academy, though I did make the purchase. I didn't want to get mad at the cashier, but it did annoy me quite a bit. I figured it was for the marketing people to bean count. Next thing you know, they'll be creating targeted ads out of that info, they LOVE demographics stuff.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

rtschl wrote:I don't mind having to show an ID to purchase ammunition - even though it is obvious that I am of legal age. But instead of asking for my ID, the clerk asked for my birth date to to put into her terminal before she could make the sales transaction.
If they don't ask for an ID, I'd just make up a date. When they ask for a zip code, I give 10101.
NRA lifetime member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

I think they just have to enter it to complete the sale for age restricted merchandise. I don't think they store it. If you're young and they need to see ID then they'll copy it from the ID, but otherwise you could just make one up for them to put in.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

they use the same software across the country. each state has different requirements but enough need a birth date that they've had to program for it, unfortunately they didn't "turn it off" for certain states. Like mentioned above, I'd give them a false date that will fit into the database.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rtschl »

That was the whole kicker about it. They aren't verifying my age as she didn't request my ID. I even gave her my year of birth and stated that it is quite obvious I am of legal age to purchase ammunition. They're just asking for the birth date. So if a 17 year gives a birth date of a 18 year old they haven't eliminated any liability.

I wasn't angry with either the clerk or manager and I don't think I came across that way - just irritated. Academy has the right to have whatever policy they want to implement. I support their right to do so. I also have the right to buy elsewhere.

Google, Microsoft, Apple et.al know more about us than I would want anyone or company to know. I just don't know that I trust Academy enough to add them to that list of companies with my personal information.
Ron
NRA Member

dlh

Post by dlh »

Harbor Freight asks for my phone number even if I am paying cash. I decline and they proceed with the sale.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

function12

Post by function12 »

They use to do the same thing back in the day at the grocery store. Like others have said, I am sure it is just the register doing the math to make sure you are of age.
But it is a free country and you can vote with your money anywhere you please. :patriot:
NRA Super Life Benefactor Member
PSC Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

My favorite is giving them the number to a state or federal prison instead of my own....hoping they'll dial the number one day. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

aero10

Post by aero10 »

I've had similar instances with age restricted items. If you show them your license, they're just going to enter in your birth date in the system. I've always taken them asking for a birth date vs your id is the clerk thinks your old enough but the system requires age verification.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

My standard response is 4/1/69 when asked at a check out register for my birth date.

Use the same date for websites, etc that have no real need for my actual birth date.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

July 4th, 1776.

The more and more I hear about it's not me, it's not the manager, it's store policy, can all go to hades....

I'm not obligated by store policy.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Only Brick and mortar store around that sells ammo cheap. I suppose there id Wallyworld but I can never find anyone with a key. Cabellas is expencive except for strange brands that I don't know. I will stick with Acadamy even though they can be a little quirky.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

bblhd672 wrote:My standard response is 4/1/69 when asked at a check out register for my birth date.

Use the same date for websites, etc that have no real need for my actual birth date.
My actual birthday is 4/16/68. I really don't care if they know it or not. Maybe they will send me a free box of ammo on my birthday. :smilelol5:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”