Shipping a firearm door to door in TX

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Shipping a firearm door to door in TX

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

aaangel wrote:you have to go their customer/ship centers not ups stores/fedex kinkos or any third parties. for me here in gp/arlington area:

UPS Customer Center
379 EXCHANGE, ARLINGTON, TX, 76011-7807
Tel: 8007425877

FedEx Ship Center
2802 Osler Dr
Grand Prairie, TX 75051

also when picking a location check the "dangerous good shipping" box. but yeah get ready to pay! last time i shipped using fedex, i got "robbed"! :grumble
I went to the UPS Customer Center on Monroe Dr. in Dallas and they wouldn't ship a handgun to a buyer in Houston.

aaangel
Posts in topic: 5

Post by aaangel »

don't know much about UPS and shipping to a non ffl. I know at fedex they ask for a copy of the ffl's license.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

My FFL ships handguns for $30.
Last time I checked FedEx it was $45.
UPS wouldn't even talk to me .
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

aaangel
Posts in topic: 5

Post by aaangel »

Rex B wrote:My FFL ships handguns for $30.
who's your ffl?
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

aaangel wrote:
Rex B wrote:My FFL ships handguns for $30.
who's your ffl?
TMS Guns in Haslet
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 11

Post by bmwrdr »

As requested by some fellow board members a quick update to the shipping process.
The gun was picked up by FedEx today. The buyer got tracking information via e-mail and should receive the package in 2 days.
There was no issue on my (sellers) end, the buyer initiated the shipping process and the fedEx employee did not even ask whats in the box.
I guess not having to deal with an individual at the counter makes the difference.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Package arrived today, the box was not opened or damaged in transit.
Shipping a firearm door to door without FFL works as expected in Texas.

:tiphat:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have also been able to ship a firearm to an individual in Texas, using Fed Ex I believe. There is a legal requirement to notify the shipping company that you are shipping a gun. I chose to do this via e-mail so I would have a written record of the notification, but other than that hassle it was pretty easy.

If you want to make the process even easier, or if you are shipping a gun to an FFL out of state, I have recently used the Ship My Gun service that is owned by Buds gun shop. They take care of everything, and it is fairly inexpensive. I paid $32 to ship a handgun to Virginia plus another $9 for optional insurance. They sent me a Fed Ex label that I just attached to the box.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:...I have recently used the Ship My Gun service that is owned by Buds gun shop. They take care of everything, and it is fairly inexpensive. I paid $32 to ship a handgun to Virginia plus another $9 for optional insurance. They sent me a Fed Ex label that I just attached to the box.
I have read about this services and how pleased people were with using it.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I have also been able to ship a firearm to an individual in Texas, using Fed Ex I believe. There is a legal requirement to notify the shipping company that you are shipping a gun. I chose to do this via e-mail so I would have a written record of the notification, but other than that hassle it was pretty easy.

If you want to make the process even easier, or if you are shipping a gun to an FFL out of state, I have recently used the Ship My Gun service that is owned by Buds gun shop. They take care of everything, and it is fairly inexpensive. I paid $32 to ship a handgun to Virginia plus another $9 for optional insurance. They sent me a Fed Ex label that I just attached to the box.
Thanks for sharing. In this case the buyer initiated the shipment, I received a label via e-mail, printed it and attached it to the box. I am not sure if it is required to announce the content of the package, all I know is there was an adult signature required upon receipt.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E.Marquez »

I dont ship firearms, but I have shipped an awful lot of "Machined parts"
Its kind of like the deal with taking a firearm in checked baggage.. I know its legal, the airline web site and TSA say its legal, but when you walk in to the shipping location your often dealing with the lowest common denominator an "GUN" on the invoice gives some of them heart flutters....causing you delay as you help them learn how to do their job.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

E.Marquez wrote:I dont ship firearms, but I have shipped an awful lot of "Machined parts"
Its kind of like the deal with taking a firearm in checked baggage.. I know its legal, the airline web site and TSA say its legal, but when you walk in to the shipping location your often dealing with the lowest common denominator an "GUN" on the invoice gives some of them heart flutters....causing you delay as you help them learn how to do their job.
:iagree: To avoid having to deal with an untrained person at the counter it made sense to schedule a pickup. The driver had no question about the content of the package, scanned the label and two days later the package arrived at the destination.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Wasn't sure where to post it but I wanted to share my experience with shipping a handgun directly to a manufacturer without using an FFL.

I started by going to the FedEx Ship Center in Grand Prairie.

FedEx Ship Center in Grand Prairie
2802 Osler Dr
Grand Prairie, TX 75051

Although I wasn't denied right away like I was a couple of years ago when I tried to mail a handgun I sold to someone in Houston at the FedEx Ship Center in Lancaster, they were a little hesitant. Fortunately I was only checking and didn't have the handgun packaged and ready to ship.

I then tried the FedEx Ship Center in Irving as it was on my way home from the office and had better luck there.

FedEx Ship Center in Irving
5000 Hanson Dr,
Irving, TX 75038

The clerk at the front wasn't sure so she went and got her supervisor and we had a quick discussion and they checked the address I was sending it to. Everything was cleared up and shouldn't be a problem. Returned the next day and mailed my Glock 17 to Robar in Arizona for the sum of $95. Thought it would be cheaper. And to be fair, the clerk double checked the shipping options to find a way to mail it cheaper but no luck. It cost me maybe $10 more than what I was quoted to send it through a gun store in Bedford but I wanted to give it a try.

I sure miss having a buddy who's an FFL. Guess we'll see how easy it is when it's shipped back to me (I'm guessing this gets mailed back to my house or back to FedEx?). Also while researching this, has anybody heard of the service that Bud's is offering called https://www.shipmygun.com/? Might try this next time as it looks like it might save me around $30 shipping to the same location.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

bmwrdr wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:21 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I have also been able to ship a firearm to an individual in Texas, using Fed Ex I believe. There is a legal requirement to notify the shipping company that you are shipping a gun. I chose to do this via e-mail so I would have a written record of the notification, but other than that hassle it was pretty easy.

Thanks for sharing. In this case the buyer initiated the shipment, I received a label via e-mail, printed it and attached it to the box. I am not sure if it is required to announce the content of the package, all I know is there was an adult signature required upon receipt.
They require you to notify them but the only time it’s an issue is when it’s lost or damaged. Chances are that if it was shipped without reporting it was a firearm they will refuse the insurance claim.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Rex B wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 pm My FFL ships handguns for $30.
Last time I checked FedEx it was $45.
UPS wouldn't even talk to me .
Does he charge a transfer fee? If he’s a high volume shipper he gets much better rates. It cost me about $30 for postage and insurance on a handgun, it’s even more if it’s an expensive gun. All firearms shipped USPas have to be dropped off in person at the post office, anything UPS over $1000 has to go to their terminal so it takes time dropping them off. Most times the big three shippers don’t know their own rules, I have to tell new employees at my post office what to do.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”