How do you train at the range?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
zmcgooga
Posts in topic: 2

How do you train at the range?

Post by zmcgooga »

Today I finally got out to the range for the first time in about a month and usually when I go to the range I'll take an assortment of guns and just shoot paper with no rhyme or reason, just out to have a good time shooting. Today I just took two AR's and my carry gun, I shot the AR's at paper at about 100 yds and then switched over to my carry gun and shot at B-27 targets at about 10 yards, drawing from my holster, firing three rounds as fast as I could and still be accurate and then re-holstering and I did this with about 50 rounds.

While, I enjoy just going out and shooting I feel like I should be doing some kind of drill(s) to help improve my abilities should a situation arise while carrying. I've watched videos on Youtube but it seems they are all in the "tacticool" craze, and while that's fine and well I'd prefer not to roll around on the ground at the range while practicing.

So are there any specific drills that you do while at the range?

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How do you train at the range?

Post by MadMonkey »

Always. The only time I'm just punching paper is when I'm zeroing something.

At minimum I'm working on target transitions, drawing and firing, shooting on the move and reloads, and usually a combination of those with a shot timer.

Lots of the time I also include things like using cover and barricades, shooting from awkward positions, rifle/pistol transitions, working from different types of carry positions (off body, owb, iwb, appendix, etc), and whatever else I can come up with.

A shot timer is probably the best investment you can make in improving your shooting.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Practice with your off hand, never know when you maybe forced by circumstances to use it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I try to shoot a action match once per month. It is lots of fun since I can draw, shoot and reload.
Of course you are timed and graded for shot placement and is a competition, but I go really just for my own skill improvement. I can also gather some pointers or technique improvements from others.
Usually shoot about 125 to 150 rounds. The physical aspect is also good especially in the Texas heat. Usually takes about 4 hours.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I am lucky, in that I have some private property, I can set up targets, and run through drills, that I would not be able to do, at most ranges. Everyone will have to practice, the type of drills, for situations, they feel they may encounter, as well as some that, may seem far fetched. While rolling around on the ground, may seem, "tacticool" practicing firing, from a position you may find yourself, is very important. If you are attacked, there is a possibility, that you may be knocked to ground. As others have stated, your strong, hand may become incapacitated, and so learning, not only firing, but, clearing, malfunctions, and reloading with your off hand, or one handed with your strong hand may be a skill you will need.
Engaging multiple targets, from different distances, is one thing I practice, with my first one being "up close and personal". Shooting while moving, is important, so that you are not in a static position, and making yourself an easy target.

Getting formal training, is expensive, and most shooting ranges, don't allow for the type of training I have described. Shooting at stationary, targets, at most ranges, is important, to develop trigger discipline, grip consistency, check the accuracy, of sights or scopes, and other things, but, in a real life scenario, it doesn't prepare you to be ready, if it all goes south, very quickly. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

zmcgooga wrote: switched over to my carry gun and shot at B-27 targets at about 10 yards, drawing from my holster, firing three rounds as fast as I could and still be accurate and then re-holstering and I did this with about 50 rounds.
Can I ask where you able to shoot that way?
It seems every range around me has rules against everything, no holster work, no moving around, zero rapid fire, etc.
Most every concealed carry person says to work on drawing and firing rapidly, but I can’t find a range that allows it. Working on it at home and dry firing is fine, but it is not the same as actually shooting.

Topic author
zmcgooga

Post by zmcgooga »

CZp10 wrote:
zmcgooga wrote: switched over to my carry gun and shot at B-27 targets at about 10 yards, drawing from my holster, firing three rounds as fast as I could and still be accurate and then re-holstering and I did this with about 50 rounds.
Can I ask where you able to shoot that way?
It seems every range around me has rules against everything, no holster work, no moving around, zero rapid fire, etc.
Most every concealed carry person says to work on drawing and firing rapidly, but I can’t find a range that allows it. Working on it at home and dry firing is fine, but it is not the same as actually shooting.
It's a small public outdoor range just over the border on the Arkansas side, I live right on the line so even though it's about a 30 min drive its free and there usually is only one or two other shooters out there if any. It's just an awning and 5-6 benches, as long as your not doing anything unsafe (no range officer) your free to shoot as you wish.

Lena

Post by Lena »

Get into shooting matches IDPA PPM IPSC anything similar I used to shoot 2-3 a week for along time, just no stand and blast type. Anything that will make you use cover, reload, movement, some stress under a timer will help a lot and fun also. I used to love the El Presidente drills a lot, use a 10 second goal or less for your benchmark with 0 down.
Stay Safe

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

I'd encourage you to read the book Combat Focus Shooting by Rob Pincus. Its an excellent book that focuses on defensive shooting (as opposed to competitive) and it has several drills in it that can really focus your skills. Rob has a lot of great videos on Youtube as well.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I don't know if it will be close enough for you, but Bitter Clinger, has set up a day long training course for forum members in the DFW area.

You can get information here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=89571

It will be a great opportunity, to not only meet and greet with forum members, but get you started on some training tips. I signed my 19 year old son up for the course, since he has not done anything besides shoot at static targets.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Lena wrote:Get into shooting matches IDPA PPM IPSC anything similar I used to shoot 2-3 a week for along time, just no stand and blast type. Anything that will make you use cover, reload, movement, some stress under a timer will help a lot and fun also. I used to love the El Presidente drills a lot, use a 10 second goal or less for your benchmark with 0 down.
:iagree:

At my IDPA club, the cost is $15 a match for members, $20 for non-members, so about the same as the cost of an hour at an indoor range in the Houston area. But you get much more relevant practice for that $20 than at any range.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I saw a drill for trigger control that I plan on trying next time I go shooting, take 1 shot in a clean are of a target with both hands then take 1 shot with strong and 1 with your off hands. The goal being to have the 3 shots touching to make a cloverleaf on the target. Another good practice drill is to clear your pistol then practice draw and dry fire, can be done in the house any time.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Lena

Post by Lena »

The best practice there is are matches or pro training, just shooting targets is fun and helpful but not training, look for matches with the most realistic situations possible, I have shot them with house and room clearing stages, shot in a real airplane body strapped in a seat, motion activated targets and the like nothing beats it, nothing beats those with short target exposure time they make you work at it. Hidden targets and blind stages are also great. Not fair to all but neither is life. Shoot some indoors, from vehicles, under vehicles and reload under the same use multiple firearms, down load to run out of ammo by a friend with unknown round count, have him load an empty case backwards to create a stoppage,,.. retrieve ammo from down partner when out, sitting laying down shooting from a bed, forget the cover garment stuff wear a heavy coat and see the difference, have someone behind you screaming at you, find a distance you shoot almost 0 down and increase it a little at a time. Look for a match where you solve the stage no rules but being safe. 3 bad guys then load 3 rounds make them all count and slow down till you do so. Forget high fun round count stages, multiple targets with 1 round each loaded, try it with out a chambered round or mag in pistol.
And my favorite of all with no 2nd place is low light or night matches. Reaction targets not paper punching it don't go down you missed it hit or not. I got to shoot a 2 night 1 day 500 round one it was the best match I ever shot, no rules other than safety, also was a 3 gun. Your weapons and ammo load 200 max on person mix or match the 1st 2 nights 100 on Sunday, your call as mix per gun. 2 guns carried at a time, drop anything it was gone till match over loaded mags included, they told you each day what 2 weapons to carry, the rest up to you. Light goes out well you better have a spare, no weapon mounted allowed. Near Ft Cambell Ky. I will add the cost was $75 person you bring your steak cook on their grill or ? They had all sides and drinks. 2 safety officers per shooter plus timer, all mags picked up for you and returned when you finish the night.

Just a few of what I did before my sight went south and age set in. Military duel matches with advances and retreats are what started it all for me, we that day forget bullseye matches.
Stay Safe

bamhauser

Post by bamhauser »

Mostly just shoot the AR at 50-100 yards. I have a Ruger LCP but I'm still waiting for my CHL. Once I get the license and I start carrying it, I will be shooting it much more often. Every now and then, I change the zero on my AR because I can't decide which is best for the widest array of shooting situations. Very OCD lol.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”