Tritium Sights - How Effective?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dino9832
Posts in topic: 4

Tritium Sights - How Effective?

Post by dino9832 »

More specifically, on a Beretta Nano. I'm not sure if the smaller sized sights put out as much illumination as larger ones?

How dark does it need to be before they work? I know they don't shine out like LED lamps!
What's your experience been with tritium sights?

I've been rushing home to get some target shooting in before dark. Bad time of year for that.
Last night, the sun was on the horizon and it showed in my accuracy. I'm old! Failing eyesight, wearing glasses, might even have early cataracts for all I know. What I do know is it ain't easy shooting in low light.

I've searched the forum and read many reviews. But cameras/pictures don't really represent real life images well. Especially at low light levels.
I thought about laser, but I'm pretty anal about battery life. It's always a toss up between playing with the dang laser, and when I should replace the batteries.
Thanks.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tritium Sights - How Effective?

Post by WTR »

My XS Big Dot sights are extremely bright.

gduncan52

Post by gduncan52 »

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my Nano and it works great for old eyes. I usually carry a Ruger 1911 CMD and have a Crimson Trace on it, also. I am a big fan of lasers on a carry gun. They are easy to use and extremely accurate out to any distance you would need them. I have even taken a few wild hogs with the 1911 and works well on them, also.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Had a Gen2 Glock 22 with Meprolights (bought new; tritiums were the Glock factory-installed ones). Worked great 1st four years - could verify sight alignment in a dark room or outside at night. By year seven, they weren't really usable unless it was so dark, that you couldn't see the target....so there is a definitive useful lifespan........
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The Tru-Glo TFO sights my wife and I have had for seven years are still plenty bright to help with sight picture verification when regular irons couldn't easily be seen -- and in good light the fiber optics pop. They'll likely be replaced by their TFX Pro sights in a few years when the tritium no longer lights them up very well.

I understand the argument that if you cannot verify your target you have no business preparing to shoot it. That said, I see a place for tritium sights since there might be times when you can clearly see the threat/target but because of lighting you might not be able to clearly see regular sights. YMMV.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The Tru-Glo TFO sights my wife and I have had for seven years are still plenty bright to help with sight picture verification when regular irons couldn't easily be seen -- and in good light the fiber optics pop. They'll likely be replaced by their TFX Pro sights in a few years when the tritium no longer lights them up very well.

I understand the argument that if you cannot verify your target you have no business preparing to shoot it. That said, I see a place for tritium sights since there might be times when you can clearly see the threat/target but because of lighting you might not be able to clearly see regular sights. YMMV.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I like mine. :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
dino9832

Post by dino9832 »

I'd love to get Tru-Glo sights for my Nano. Better day visibility and night as well!
Unfortunately, they don't them. I wish they did. My only options are Trijicon and Ameriglo.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Mine show up in very dim lighting, but I've never tried shooting at a target in those conditions. I have an LED flashlight next to my pistol on the night stand should I need to shoot in the dark. They do help me locate my pistol in the dark.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
dino9832

Post by dino9832 »

I've never had much luck with flashlights and sights.
Living out in the country, I've had some experience with this. Like having to put down a sick coyote before daylight with my dogs trying to get at it. It was hard to get the flashlight to illuminate my .45 auto sights AND the coyote. Meanwhile keeping eyes on where the dogs are.
Even a 12 Gauage had me twisting and contorting to find a rattler in the brush. It was a compromise of holding the shotgun with one hand while illuminating where I thought the snake was.

A flashlight is essential! No doubt. And you'd still have to hold it somehow. But to illuminate sights AND target all at once is tough. There's a good argument for tactical pistols and shotguns!

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The tritium does fade over time but it is nice and bright when they are new. I used to work with a guy that actually had to use his handgun in self defense (two rounds Center of mass with 40 S&W to the bad guy and he lived). He used to do armory work for an east Texas sheriffs department and was on their shooting team. Anyway, he said night sights are only good for the first shot, after that your night vision is gone and you cannot see your sights. There is better Ammo now designed to have less muzzle blast (with less flame from the muzzle) so it might not be as big of an issue now. I’ve never fired my self defense handguns in the dark so I wouldn’t know.

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ammoboy2 »

Tritium are very effective in dim lighting especially against a dark background. Otherwise you have a difficult time lining up your sights. I did a low light match and it really made a difference. The dark unlit sights compared to tritium inserts is substantial. At minimum have tritium in the front sight. It can keep the cost down if you have several to keep up to date. The front sight is critical. I also tend to dislike the 3 dot systems, too many dots to keep track of and going in the wrong direction. I prefer sights with vertical orientation and just two dots, then mis-alignments are just vertical (off up or down) and against a aggressor vertical precision is not required just being on centerline is important.

I have gotten new inserts for sights by sending them to Trijicon, it is just a couple of weeks turn around and then you have another 10 years.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ammoboy2 wrote:I have gotten new inserts for sights by sending them to Trijicon, it is just a couple of weeks turn around and then you have another 10 years.
What did they charge you for that service? I like my Trijicon sights (and my ACOG), but they haven’t gone dim on my yet.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

ammoboy2 wrote:I also tend to dislike the 3 dot systems, too many dots to keep track of and going in the wrong direction. I prefer sights with vertical orientation and just two dots, then mis-alignments are just vertical (off up or down) and against a aggressor vertical precision is not required just being on centerline is important.
That is why I went with Cap sights on my Glock.
https://ameriglo.com/products/glock-cap-sets

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”