How often?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

How often?

Post by Tex1961 »

How often do you breakdown, inspect and clean your CCW?

I only carry on average of an hour or so every few days but I do send a box of rounds down range at least once a month and then immediately clean and lube afterwards. I’m comfortable with a once a month cleaning.

flechero

Re: How often?

Post by flechero »

You should be fine... just keep an eye on the lint and deodorant buildup, especially if you use a stick. If I don't wear an undershirt, I have buildup sometimes in just in a few days. I also clean after every range session. And depending on conditions, up to weekly. (in summer heat, I wipe down daily with a silicone cloth) As long as your gun stays clean and lubed, you are ok. Each person will have a different duration and it won't remain constant.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

When I first started shooting IDPA I shot with older guys who would joke about not cleaning their carry guns. I used to clean and lube after every range session but got curious what my gun would do with less cleaning. It still runs 100% whether I clean it or not but do try to clean it somewhat regularly. I've put approx 35,000 rounds through my regular carry gun, CZ P-01 with only a broken slide lock lever at about 30,000 rnds. Should I clean it more regularly? Yes. Do I need to? No.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I carry 7 days a week with an average of 10 hours a day. I usually clean it once a month wether it needs it or not. Sometimes I clean it more if I go to the range more than once a month. If I get soaked by rain I’ll clean it. But usually after a month it’s honeslty not that dirty and I could go longer. It will have some dust bunnies around the muzzle but that’s about it. During he summer it gets a little dirtier due to there’s usually more dust because it’s a dryer time of the year. With how much you carry you could get away with two or three months easy but if I were you I’d stick to the monthly cleaning wether you shoot it or not. I was always taught to take care of the things that take care of you and when you need it, it will be there for you. Now, the method of how you carry will play a big factor. I carry 3:30 inside waist band in a kydex holster with my shirt covering it and more clothes over it, it usually stays pretty dust free. If you pocket carry you have to clean it more often because of pocket lent unless you carry a revolver in which case lent is not too much of a factor. If you open carry a lot I’d said inspect the gun once a week because it’s exposed to the elements all of the time. I’ve got friend who clean theirs every six months. Their gun comes out of the holster looking like you pulled it from the lent catcher in the dryer but it always goes bang. They carry Glock, I carry Glock. Glock. Glock. Glock. Hope this helped! Marry Christmas!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Since I've been in my current job, I've only been able to carry a few hours a day outside of the house 2-3 days a week and that's concealed. I OC when at home many more hours. I only break down my GLOCK once or so a year for a thorough cleaning. It does get a drop or two of frog lube along the rails before shooting when I get the chance or before a match, but even that's been quite a while.

Even before my current job, when I was able to carry more often outside of the house, I still only did a thorough cleaning about once a year.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

This seems to be a very subjective topic.

My S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm lives in its Safariland 7TS ALS holster, only coming out for cleaning, dry-fire practicing (after clearing), live-fire practicing, or for self defense. Since 1/1/2016, I carry openly except where legally prohibited or in churgh during worship. My holstered pistol is seldom covered. I have not yet seen a reason to clean more often than after each live-fire session.

My older Tanfoglio BTA90 does require through cleaning and lubing after each use or it tends to fail to eject at the mere hint of a limp wrist.

For me, I am haunted by the spirit of my Drill Sergeant if I do not peform proper Before, During, and After PMCS.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

One more thought. If i felt the need to clean my every day carry pistol more often than after each use, I would reconsider the risk of carrying that pistol.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Once a year. I wipe the outside down with an oily rag about once a month.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Carry pistols after shooting and wipe down with light oil, maybe once a month. Rifles after shooting and inspect for anything loose. I haven't found anything, but it's part of my process. Falling plate match pistols after every match and inspect before every match. I always hope for flawless mechanical performance and pray for operator performance. The operator always needs more prayer, to get quicker times. :fire

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I may be more OCD than others, but I break my gun down once a week, and while I don't do a complete clean I wipe it down, bore snake the barrel to knock out dust and lint, dry fire it to test operation, and then reload it. Will dust and lint in the barrel, cause it to misfire at a critical time? Probably not, but I just like my gun to be clean and ready to go. I thoroughly clean it after every range session.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

strogg

Post by strogg »

Every few hundred rounds. Just like any other. I fire my daily carries more often than any other gun I own, so they'll see more frequent cleaning and disassembly. I do function check them as I rotate them out, though. I don't feel the need to do anything more than that.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”