What are your 2018 shooting goals?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What are your 2018 shooting goals?

Post by mr surveyor »

after the last 3 years .... my 2018 goal is to be physically able to at least go to the range more often. It ain't easy to turn 60, then almost immediately start being afflicted for the next few years with crazy, out of the ordinary stuff .... but it is what it is.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Scott B. wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:Just shooting more would be an accomplishment for me.

I haven't really thought about this but I suppose I'd like to shoot a match of some kind and start going to the range with a purpose.

I'll need to think on this more.
Monty, not to pimp my other thread, but you want to shoot more take on the Winchester/NRA marksmanship challenge at PSC. I think you'd really enjoy it. A great deal of it could be done on your own.

Details here: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=91111
Good stuff, Scott. I'll give it a detailed read when I have some quiet time. I'll set an immediate goal for my next range trip of having some drills to peform and a plan before I go. Assuming I don't get distracted at the .22 range again. :D

Shooting more has been fun but I need to resupply on .45 ACP already. :/
Psalm 91:2

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

In the 12/24/17 Handgun World Podcast, Karl Rehn and John Daub discuss shooting drills.
http://www.handgunworld.com/episode-443 ... un-drills/

In 2017, I took several classes from Karl and John and KR Training. https://krtraining.com/

I am confident that I have achieved the 25% of Grand Master accuracy that Karl mentions in this artilcle on drills.
http://blog.krtraining.com/handgun-worl ... ls-plus-2/

My goal for 2018 is to use these drills to improve my accuracy and take more training to improve my overall self defense abilities.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bobby

Post by bobby »

Dude that target is tough. But I had fun tonight at the club.

https://flic.kr/p/DrCLEv
:txflag:

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Scott B. »

oljames3 wrote:I am confident that I have achieved the 25% of Grand Master accuracy that Karl mentions in this artilcle on drills.
http://blog.krtraining.com/handgun-worl ... ls-plus-2/
Some great drills there. "The Test" looks challenging. Going to have to try that one for sure.
bobby wrote:Dude that target is tough. But I had fun tonight at the club.

https://flic.kr/p/DrCLEv
That one's fun isn't it? Nice shooting.
mr surveyor wrote:after the last 3 years .... my 2018 goal is to be physically able to at least go to the range more often.
Fitness is one I need to work on as well.
cedarparkdad987 wrote:Classify Expert at the next classification for IDPA. Complete the SO requirements at the next match.

Make top half of C level in USPSA.
I've only shot in a monthly, non-affiliated match the last few years. Unfortunately, that club shut down at the end of 2017. I'm going to have start shooting w/ one of the local IDPA/USPSA groups around here. Have no idea where I'll stack up so that might be a good challenge to tackle.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

1. As in the past no ND's.
1. Review safety rules.
3. Go to the range on a regular base.

:cheers2:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

G40yes

Post by G40yes »

I plan to work on getting faster while maintaining good practical accuracy past 15 yards.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have to try to get to the range more. Paying yearly for a membership and haven't had a chance to go more than once a month at best. I do want to to take a trauma course of some sort. I have kept my CPR certification active but since I retired (moved) from the volunteer fire department 20+ years ago, I haven't had any advanced first aid training.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Had a pretty good 2017, her'es the plan for 2018:

1. Make Master in at least one more division in IDPA
2. Get into the trophies (top 1/5) in Master in SSP
3. Get into the trophies in B class in USPSA
4. (My tough one) Make A class USPSA production
5. Continue to represent my sponsor and promote the brand.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

mr surveyor wrote:after the last 3 years .... my 2018 goal is to be physically able to at least go to the range more often. It ain't easy to turn 60, then almost immediately start being afflicted for the next few years with crazy, out of the ordinary stuff .... but it is what it is.

jd
Understood. The Army told me I had to retire at age 60. Then the VA told me I was 70% disabled. This year I turn 66 and start drawing Social Security. My consolation is that I can still go to the range. My goal for this year is to measure and improve my accuracy and self defense capabilities. John Daub said it well in his blog:
Start making your own collection. Strive to put in a good variety that covers the depth and breadth of skills relevant to your context. Put in ones that push you, that expose your flaws and weaknesses, and that can be used over time to help you measure progress.
https://blog.hsoi.com/2017/12/27/discus ... cy-drills/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

allisji

Post by allisji »

If I can make it to the range about once per month that would be doing really well for me.

Other than that I would really like to take a pistol class.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times I visited the range in 2017. I did burn through about 350 rounds on Saturday though. It was a good range trip as I practiced some grip, stance, and sight techniques that I had wanted to implement. Also practiced shooting one-handed with both hands, which I had never done before.

I need more range trips to improve my accuracy. I do need to improve my accuracy
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

QB

Post by QB »

1) take 5 new rifles (purchased in 2017) to the range, finalize the mounting of the optics and sight them in/function test rifles
2) take 1 new handgun (purchased in 2017) to the range and sight in/function test
3) try to get to the range at least once a month, preferably twice (I used to go nearly every weekend...sigh)
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Like many here I'm hoping to get to the range and shoot more often. Also to shoot a couple of firearms I haven't taken to the range yet.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JRG

Post by JRG »

QB wrote:1) take 5 new rifles (purchased in 2017) to the range, finalize the mounting of the optics and sight them in/function test rifles
2) take 1 new handgun (purchased in 2017) to the range and sight in/function test
3) try to get to the range at least once a month, preferably twice (I used to go nearly every weekend...sigh)

I hear you!! I've got a new AR purchased in April of 2017 that I still have not gotten to the range.

Joe

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Not to shoot my eye out.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”