Winchester/NRA Marksmanship - challenging you!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 30

Re: Winchester/NRA Marksmanship - challenging you!

Post by Paladin »

Got the second America's Rifle Distinguished Expert stage today. Knocking at the door on the third stage... hit 8/10 three times... all I need is 9/10. Soon.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Hit it today. Just barely. Tried to see if I could clean it... 9/10 was the best I could do.

Have some terrible 22 ammo I need to use up, so running the 3 position rimfire course next
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Took a break from working 3-Postion Rimfire to try out the F-Class Rifle Qualification. Printable MR-31 targets are free.

All courses are fired from the prone. The rules allow front and rear support, but I only used magazine support. My 16" LaRue firing FEDERAL - GOLD MEDAL MATCH 223 REMINGTON 69GR HPBT made short work of the Pro-Marksman Level.

Have no doubt that the work I did on the rimfire course is paying off.

Ordered targets for the F-Class Marksman and Sharpshooter levels.
Attachments
IMG_6915.JPG

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Minted my second Double Distinguished Expert student this weekend (pistol/rifle). Have also had four Defensive Pistol 1 and two Defensive Pistol 2 DE's. Working on several Rimfire candidates, but it just takes more time to get through the Rimfire courses-of-fire.

One of these days I'll get back to working on my own awards

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Did a little F-Class rifle. This time some 200 yard 6.5 Creedmore action. With the new scope I was still dialing in the zero for the first 2 groups, but the third one was pretty decent:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p8Ebjv ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V_fXea ... sp=sharing

PS, please don't tell AndyC his scope is missing ;-) :biggrinjester:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

After such a long time contemplating the Tactical Rifle course, I finally did it. Since the minimum round count is almost 450, I decided to save myself a pile of money an shoot it will a .22LR AR-15. Shot it clean through except one stage that I accidentally ran standing, before re-shooting kneeling.

I recommend the course of fire. This stuff is best with an instructor, but if you've had Tactical Rifle training in the past to understand fundamentals of marksmanship and gun handling in all the positions the program is great practice. Honestly reminiscent of some of the Delta Force drills I have copies of. However with NRA Tactical Rifle there is no time standard. Achieving DE on this course is all about executing accuracy from a variety of positions and behind cover. So while it covers more skills than America's Rifle Challenge, I would say it is easier.

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Scott B. »

Paladin wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:45 pm After such a long time contemplating the Tactical Rifle course, I finally did it. Since the minimum round count is almost 450, I decided to save myself a pile of money an shoot it will a .22LR AR-15. Shot it clean through except one stage that I accidentally ran standing, before re-shooting kneeling.

I recommend the course of fire. This stuff is best with an instructor, but if you've had Tactical Rifle training in the past to understand fundamentals of marksmanship and gun handling in all the positions the program is great practice. Honestly reminiscent of some of the Delta Force drills I have copies of. However with NRA Tactical Rifle there is no time standard. Achieving DE on this course is all about executing accuracy from a variety of positions and behind cover. So while it covers more skills than America's Rifle Challenge, I would say it is easier.
Shot it w/ a group of friends and we still talk fondly about that one. Ton of fun. And yes, fairly easy if you've had quality training.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Scott B. wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:26 pm
Paladin wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:45 pm After such a long time contemplating the Tactical Rifle course, I finally did it. Since the minimum round count is almost 450, I decided to save myself a pile of money an shoot it will a .22LR AR-15. Shot it clean through except one stage that I accidentally ran standing, before re-shooting kneeling.

Shot it w/ a group of friends and we still talk fondly about that one. Ton of fun. And yes, fairly easy if you've had quality training.
Thanks for recommending it!! :cheers2:

I get the chance to see a lot of people burning lots of ammo for marginal return. There is a great return on this course of fire.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Since the Pistol qualification has been updated, and I had yet to qualify with a revolver... I broke out a Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 single action revolver and put more than 500 rounds through it early this morning. The revolver is wonderfully accurate and pleasant to shoot. The tough part was the 10 second stages where you have to get off all 5 rounds in 10 seconds, cocking the hammer each time. Loading and clearing the empties wasn't fast either. In spite of it, I managed to complete the entire course of fire through Distinguished Expert.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Today I re-ran the Tactical Rifle course with .223. Had about 500 rounds of Wolf ammo that was taking up space. The Wolf is so inaccurate I thought it would give me a good challenge. :cool: Had to re-shoot one course I accidentally ran at 7 yards instead of 15 yards, but other than that it went pretty smoothly. No surprise that support side barricade was slightly less accurate than strong side, but I hit all the numbers required. This one was for High Power Distinguished Expert. Great training day! Looking forward to receiving my new certificate.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Received my official "Triple Distinguished Expert" certificate in the mail today. Tried to post, but not working. The award is for Tactical Rifle, Rimfire Rifle, and America's Rifle Challenge.

Think I may do another revolver course next.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

:cheers2: So the "Triple Distinguished Expert" refers to the the different platforms/challenges?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Rafe wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:35 pm :cheers2: So the "Triple Distinguished Expert" refers to the the different platforms/challenges?
Yes.

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Scott B. »

Paladin wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:45 pm Received my official "Triple Distinguished Expert" certificate in the mail today. Tried to post, but not working. The award is for Tactical Rifle, Rimfire Rifle, and America's Rifle Challenge.

Think I may do another revolver course next.
Congratulations! What number were you? I'm curious to how many there have been since I did it.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I completed the Revolver Defensive Pistol I course today and made some progress on Revolver Defensive Pistol II. Used an airweight S&W J-frame .38 special and, even though I had gloves the snubbie wore a hole in my skin. May give it some time before I try to finish Defensive Pistol II.

All and all, this was the best training I've done with my snubbie, so very pleased with the training value.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”