Winchester/NRA Marksmanship - challenging you!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 30

Re: Winchester/NRA Marksmanship - challenging you!

Post by Paladin »

Finished Revolver Defensive Pistol II today. Took 2 pairs of gloves, but my hand survived. Was honestly a bit awkward wearing 2 pairs, but I figured it out after some dryfire and a few reshoots. Good training, but using a snubbie was more work than fun.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

duplicate
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:39 amduplicate
He finished the course twice!
:biggrinjester:

But seriously, I had a friend who was a definite wheel-gun guy. Haven't spoken to him in a few years, since he moved to Idaho. But his EDC was a S&W J-Frame model. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was one of the 340 models; it had an enclosed hammer and the frame was a lightweight alloy, not steel. Since he carried .357 Magnum, he practiced with .357 Magnum.

One day at the range I joined him in shooting drills with his gun. I got used to the heavyish DA-only trigger pretty quickly and could put the first round at least somewhere near the POA, but trying to do quick follow-up shots was a disaster. I'd previously thought my Glock 27 wasn't a great gun for that purpose, but .357 Magnum out of the sub-2-inch barrel and a grip that let me get only the middle and ring fingers on it... After the first attempt at "quick" follow-up shots, I dropped back down to what would have been slow fire with my own semi-auto EDC. I shot about 30 rounds out of that J-Frame. That was enough to let me know what to expect if I had to use one in a "battlefield pick-up" situation. Did it make me consider buying one?

Let's just say that I went out and bought a new 1911 a couple of weeks after that. ;-)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Rafe wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:22 am
Paladin wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:39 amduplicate
He finished the course twice!
:biggrinjester:

But seriously, I had a friend who was a definite wheel-gun guy. Haven't spoken to him in a few years, since he moved to Idaho. But his EDC was a S&W J-Frame model. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was one of the 340 models; it had an enclosed hammer and the frame was a lightweight alloy, not steel. Since he carried .357 Magnum, he practiced with .357 Magnum.

One day at the range I joined him in shooting drills with his gun. I got used to the heavyish DA-only trigger pretty quickly and could put the first round at least somewhere near the POA, but trying to do quick follow-up shots was a disaster. I'd previously thought my Glock 27 wasn't a great gun for that purpose, but .357 Magnum out of the sub-2-inch barrel and a grip that let me get only the middle and ring fingers on it... After the first attempt at "quick" follow-up shots, I dropped back down to what would have been slow fire with my own semi-auto EDC. I shot about 30 rounds out of that J-Frame. That was enough to let me know what to expect if I had to use one in a "battlefield pick-up" situation. Did it make me consider buying one?

Let's just say that I went out and bought a new 1911 a couple of weeks after that. ;-)
:cheers2:

I do love shooting a 1911 far far more than a J-frame

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Finished the Rimfire Rifle Benchrest course. Hadn't done it before because I thought it might be of limited value, but it was actually helpful. ~500rds of .22LR and I improved from 92% accuracy to 100% accuracy from the bench.

I think I'll work on the Rimfire Rifle standing course next before I get back to the 3-position. Then Sporting Rifle and back to Bullseye :cool:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Been working on the Rimfire Rifle Standing course. Hit Expert Friday, but was a bit too windy to do Distinguished. Everything has to go right to get 91/100 in the standing position.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Still too windy to finish the rimfire standing course, but hit expert on rimfire 3-position course over the weekend.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”