The keeper.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 2

The keeper.

Post by surferdaddy »

I started a topic about the p365 and how it might displace guns that people already own and carry and how it just might push some of mine aside if it’s reliable. So it got me thinking about my Glock 27 and how it never seems to get away from me. It’s the most stalwart piece in my collection.

So for those of us who tend to “move” guns through our collection; what are the ones which never “get away?” Which guns in your safe are “keepers” and why?

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The keeper.

Post by Abraham »

You do realize the paranoid inducing quality of your questions, eh...?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

surferdaddy wrote:I started a topic about the p365 and how it might displace guns that people already own and carry and how it just might push some of mine aside if it’s reliable. So it got me thinking about my Glock 27 and how it never seems to get away from me. It’s the most stalwart piece in my collection.

So for those of us who tend to “move” guns through our collection; what are the ones which never “get away?” Which guns in your safe are “keepers” and why?

Surfer
This is part of why I acquire more than I offload, and I get there by not buying on a whim. Each purchase has been carefully considered. I currently own about 17 handguns, but have only ever sold/traded away 5 over the years. The one’s I got rid of were let go either because they were mechanically unreliable, or they were redundant in my collection and their sale afforded me the price of something else I wanted.

Out of my current collection, here’s how they break down by manufacturer and type (revolver vs semiauto):

— S&W: 4 revolvers (1x.44mag, 2x.357mag, 1x.38spec), 1 M&P45
— Springfield: 1 1911, 1 XDM, 1 XDS - all .45
— Ruger: 1 22/45
— Heritage Arms: 1 .22LR/.22WMR
— Ithaca: 1 1911
— Glock: 2xG43, 1xG26, 2xG19, 1xG17

Six of those seventeen guns are in one caliber, one platform, one manufacturer: Glock 9mm pistols. The next closest is S&W revolvers.

Glocks are ugly, finding their charm primarily in their rugged dependability. They just plain work. Going forward, I probably won’t buy a new pistol unless it is either (A) historically interesting and collectible, (B) a cool revolver, or (C) a Glock.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Glock is my “keeper” the Glock 19 and 43 specifically. I own an M&p Shield 45 which is great too but I tend to always go back to my Glocks. They don’t look ugly to me. I infact may be one of the few who actually thing they look good. My 43 is ceracoated FDE and it’s purty.

Shot gun wise my 870 by far. It’s been with me through countless hunting excursions and has always gotten the job done. It’s an older gun that was made when the quality was still really good. She’s about 12 years old and still tickin.

Rifle wise my AK and Henry Golden boy. They just get me going. Both have very special stories and ties straight to my heart.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't own a lot of guns, I suppose when it comes right down to it, They are all keepers and I can't imagine giving any of them up. They are all special in their own way. That being said:
The last gun I would ever give up and the first I would go to rescue in fire, Hades or high water. is my Berretta PX 4 SC. It's the smallest gun that I own. 9mm and holds 13 +1, Accurate and always goes bang. It's a hammered SA/DA so it's not for everyone.

My Keeper for a long gun is my .308 stainless Gunsite Scout. I just find it a joy to shoot. It has a lot of sentimental value because it was given to me as a retirement gift.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

My keepers are H&K P30 and P30SK, most used at the range. I wil also keep all my CZ's, Walther PPS M2, Sphinx SDP sub compact and the compact.

Would I aquire a SIG P365? I doubt you need to twist my arm about it but keeping it is another topic :cheers2:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:I don't own a lot of guns, I suppose when it comes right down to it, They are all keepers and I can't imagine giving any of them up. They are all special in their own way. That being said:
The last gun I would ever give up and the first I would go to rescue in fire, Hades or high water. is my Berretta PX 4 SC. It's the smallest gun that I own. 9mm and holds 13 +1, Accurate and always goes bang. It's a hammered SA/DA so it's not for everyone.

My Keeper for a long gun is my .308 stainless Gunsite Scout. I just find it a joy to shoot. It has a lot of sentimental value because it was given to me as a retirement gift.
Heck, I didn’t even address my long guns! For sure, my RGS would be among the keepers.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

Good topic.. although I have eventually regretted selling every gun I have ever sold, I only have a couple that are truly off limits to consideration of sale.

Abraham- any regular on this forum is already on a list somewhere! (including you :shock: )

1. STI Gaurdian .45 - it's the best shooting handgun I have ever owned, in any caliber or size. Not to mention, it's the ace custace of the carry rotation!

2. Kel-tec PF9 with northwoods trigger and a fluff & buff internally- been flawless since day 1, about 10 years ago. Not to mention it shoots shockingly smooth... and the kicker is that the street value of a used one is about $200 bucks, so There is no way I could ever replace it for even 1/2 the value of a suitable replacement. And it's the ultimate in discreet carry or pocket carry.

my wish list is long and my budget small... I don't get to try out new ones very often.

Lena

Post by Lena »

Keepers for sure father's A Swenson 1911, my 2-1/2" M66 S&W I was given with my name on it, dad's 5 screw S frame 44 mag to many to list really.
Stay Safe

Papacub

Post by Papacub »

One does not get rid of guns! They may be moved to a different safe, but I do not get rid of guns! My collection just 'Expands'!
:txflag:
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My Para P14 is my EDC, had it since 94, it's what I know it's what I want if ever my life hangs in the balance, however I now have it's little brother P12, both have a forever home with me!
Last edited by crazy2medic on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I have definitely let go of some which I should not have. Sometimes I get “buck fever” about a new piece and do something Bone-headed. I usually know that I goofed as soon as I get back to my car. I hope that my getting rid of guns days are now over.

These are some great stories about some special firearms. One can learn a lot about people from what they hold dear.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

My handgun collection is divided into 3
Groups.
1) non-shootets are high dollars items, mostly engraved and or gold plated

2) Competition Pistols
3) Home defense and carry items

Any item of the group 2 and group 3 who proves to be tough to shoot will either be upgraded or move out of the collection.

I am picky of what I buy but cannot resist a great deal on desirable item
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”