Anyone else have a beer gut?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

Post by imkopaka »

Grundy1133 wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Bravo concealment. They are made in Texas and are the best owb I’ve tried. No beer gut here but I carry 3:30-4:30 depending on the situation. It’s been my experience that unless your shirts tight then if you print nobody notices or cares if they did then who cares? It’s not a crime. You will get over the printing thoughts soon. Good luck stay safe
well i just get worried about printing because according to our instructor, if theres a 30.07 sign and my shirt is printing someone can argue that i knew my shirt allowed printing which would mean im violating the 30.07 signage... so its just things like that that i worry about.
Intentionally failing to conceal your weapon makes it OC (which is only legal in a belt or shoulder holster), but printing does not meet the legal requirement for failing to conceal. That language was removed several years ago if I'm not mistaken. If no one can see any metal, plastic, or wood that is part of the gun itself, it's concealed. Furthermore, accidentally failing to conceal (e.g. shirt lifts up when you bend over and you correct it as soon as you're aware of it) does not meet the requirements for intentionally failing to conceal, and accidentally failing to conceal is not an offense. To echo what Keith B. said, your instructor was wrong.

ETA:
Just found this quote from Charles (who is an actual lawyer) from a couple of years ago:
Well, depending upon your instructor's definition of "printing," he may well have been correct. "Printing" is not a statutorily-defined term. For years, it was jargon meaning the gun was so poorly concealed that it was easily discernible as a handgun. The term was almost always applied to a situation where the cover garment was so tight as to clearly outline the gun, or so thin as to make it at least partially visible through one's shirt. Over the decades the term seems to have lost its meaning and it has been used to refer to a mere bulge. True printing as the term was originally used would constitute a violation when the law prohibits open-carry (college campus, 30.06 signs, etc.) while a mere bulge would not be a violation.

Chas.
It would seem I am not entirely correct. :smash:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Grundy1133 »

imkopaka wrote: Intentionally failing to conceal your weapon makes it OC (which is only legal in a belt or shoulder holster), but printing does not meet the legal requirement for failing to conceal. That language was removed several years ago if I'm not mistaken. If no one can see any metal, plastic, or wood that is part of the gun itself, it's concealed. Furthermore, accidentally failing to conceal (e.g. shirt lifts up when you bend over and you correct it as soon as you're aware of it) does not meet the requirements for intentionally failing to conceal, and accidentally failing to conceal is not an offense. To echo what Keith B. said, your instructor was wrong.

ETA:
Just found this quote from Charles (who is an actual lawyer) from a couple of years ago:
Well, depending upon your instructor's definition of "printing," he may well have been correct. "Printing" is not a statutorily-defined term. For years, it was jargon meaning the gun was so poorly concealed that it was easily discernible as a handgun. The term was almost always applied to a situation where the cover garment was so tight as to clearly outline the gun, or so thin as to make it at least partially visible through one's shirt. Over the decades the term seems to have lost its meaning and it has been used to refer to a mere bulge. True printing as the term was originally used would constitute a violation when the law prohibits open-carry (college campus, 30.06 signs, etc.) while a mere bulge would not be a violation.

Chas.
It would seem I am not entirely correct. :smash:
Hmm... I might just go buy a shoulder holster and start wearing jackets year round "rlol" haha im jk... it gets way too hot to do that here. i guess ill just cover it with my shirt and if there's a bulge and people have issues they can just get over it... or if im asked to leave a place then i'll mark it off my list of places i'll go... :grumble
NRA Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Bravo concealment. They are made in Texas and are the best owb I’ve tried. No beer gut here but I carry 3:30-4:30 depending on the situation. It’s been my experience that unless your shirts tight then if you print nobody notices or cares if they did then who cares? It’s not a crime. You will get over the printing thoughts soon. Good luck stay safe
well i just get worried about printing because according to our instructor, if theres a 30.07 sign and my shirt is printing someone can argue that i knew my shirt allowed printing which would mean im violating the 30.07 signage... so its just things like that that i worry about.
Printing is not open carry. You would not be in violation of a 30.07 sign. Your instructor was incorrect.
he said that "intentionally printing" as in wearing a shirt you KNOW will display the silhouette of your gun... and even if u dont intentionally do it someone could argue that you did it on purpose.... thats not accurate?
With that clarification, then yes, that is intentionally not attempting to conceal. Most people worry about a bulge or bump, and that is not a violation.

See the explanation from Charles in the post above.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flechero

Post by flechero »

Also a southpaw and carry @ 7:30-8:00. I find that a little more cant from that position does 2 things... it conceals much better and also better mimics the angle of the draw from that position. In my case, a botched shoulder surgery dictated the lower draw angle.

Carrying back there actually allows the grip to ride closer to your body since the holster loops are past the point of your hips. Ironically it also is much more comfortable for me in the truck since its flat against my back/kidney area.

A Good belt and holster will be more comfortable and more concealed.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

flechero wrote:Also a southpaw and carry @ 7:30-8:00. I find that a little more cant from that position does 2 things... it conceals much better and also better mimics the angle of the draw from that position. In my case, a botched shoulder surgery dictated the lower draw angle.

Carrying back there actually allows the grip to ride closer to your body since the holster loops are past the point of your hips. Ironically it also is much more comfortable for me in the truck since its flat against my back/kidney area.

A Good belt and holster will be more comfortable and more concealed.
yeah i ned to get a good gun belt. i have a 1.35" old leather belt its like 20 years old but is super strong. i saw some gun belts have steel cores which is kinda neat. i might look into getting one of those. also did some adjusting with my hybrid and i have it canted all the way forward and at about 8 o clock it is kinda comfortable... i need just a tad more cant i think to keep it from rubbing against my spare tire on the side. hopefully i can find a kydex holster that has lots of cant cause while the hybrid is comfy its a bit of a pain to get on and off if i ever wish to take it off. (also its super bulky)
NRA Member

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

No beer gut just big guy. I have found cross draw most comfortable and concealable. I carry ruger P85 with 18 round magazine with 2 spare 18 round magazines.
At 6'4" 260 I am noticeable in a crowd.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Grundy1133 wrote:Ok I'm a South paw who has a good size beer gut. I know it's unhealthy bla bla bla... I like sweet tea and BBQ.. Sue me. Lol. I'll be getting my LTC soon and i plan to carry a full size S&W M&P 40 and the only comfortable place I've been able to find for me to CC IWB is around the 7-8 o clock postion because at 11-10 o clock the belly gets in the way and at 9 o clock the gun digs into my side... Now for me this isn't ideal because A. I can't see my gun by just looking down (to make sure it's covered properly) and B. I wouldn't wanna be standing in a line and someone behind me notice that I have a fire arm and decide to act like a dumb donkey and grab it. Any other husky guys out there that could recommend a way of CCing a full size handgun that won't interfere with their manly abs? :lol:

https://youtu.be/ag71l93rvao
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

suthdj wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:Ok I'm a South paw who has a good size beer gut. I know it's unhealthy bla bla bla... I like sweet tea and BBQ.. Sue me. Lol. I'll be getting my LTC soon and i plan to carry a full size S&W M&P 40 and the only comfortable place I've been able to find for me to CC IWB is around the 7-8 o clock postion because at 11-10 o clock the belly gets in the way and at 9 o clock the gun digs into my side... Now for me this isn't ideal because A. I can't see my gun by just looking down (to make sure it's covered properly) and B. I wouldn't wanna be standing in a line and someone behind me notice that I have a fire arm and decide to act like a dumb donkey and grab it. Any other husky guys out there that could recommend a way of CCing a full size handgun that won't interfere with their manly abs? :lol:

https://youtu.be/ag71l93rvao
that guy is just a little pudgy... im talkin beer belly that hangs over your belt when you sit down. i just tried that method that he did an dit doenst really work for me lol.
NRA Member

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I have a gut but I can't blame it on beer...lol...I can't get past the smell of beer to taste it...

That being said, I am of the school that 'a little more padding' actually helps you conceal a little easier. The gun kind of 'displaces' some of the spare tire and disappears.

I second the cant adjustment recommendation. I started carrying at about 3:30 and had the same issue you did with it digging a little bit. I rocked the gun angle forward where the grip stands more perpendicular to the belt. This all but eliminated the little dig I was getting from the gun.

That grip angle though caused me to move the gun around to about 5:00 or so. It was more of a natural reach/wrist angle.

Try different things and see what works for you.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I'd offer advice, but I'm becoming less qualified as I become less of a human. As in 16 pounds less in the last two months. Headed for a total of 90 pounds down, which I hope to hit in another 30 or 40 weeks. We'll see, of course, I can't count on it until it's done. 74 pounds to go.

But I can't be too cocky. This weekend was a horrible failure for me. I ate a Freddy's hot dog lunch on Saturday (where open carry is discouraged, but concealed is fine), jumbo tamales for lunch Sunday, enjoyed some corn chips, and swiped some of my wife's York mint candies when she wasn't looking.

All I lost was one miserable pound for the whole weekend. :biggrinjester:

Curiously, I don't get too hungry, and I have not had to apply any willpower so far. I'm just losing weight. Since getting away from Dr. Pepper my palate has adjusted. I can finally understand why pioneer children were so excited to get an apple for Christmas. So succulent, such an explosion of refreshingness when you bite into one... Mmmm... Now that I mentioned it, I can't help myself. I'm going to lay waste to a Golden Delicious right now.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

As someone that doesn't have a beer gut, just a couple of small love handles I find carrying at the 4:00ish (8:00ish Lefties) position to be most comfortable IWB or OWB. It seems to lay against the fleshy part of my hip instead of on my hip bone. It also doesn't look like I have a growth on my hip that would necessitate medical treatment. So your thinking of carrying at the 7:30-8:00 is reasonable. A good cant helps. One thing about the cant though, it is still necessary for you to be able to get a good grip on the gun easily. If the cant is comfortable but makes it hard to get a good grip then I would rethink the cant or the position.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

Carry outside the waistband in a good holster! Shirt untucked. :patriot:
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

billfromtx wrote:Carry outside the waistband in a good holster! Shirt untucked. :patriot:
+1 for Bravo Concealment OWB and consider switching from beer to bourbon. :cheers2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Hoodasnacks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hoodasnacks »

Just a thought from left field...

My gut and my daily conditions finally rendered me to ankle carrying my G26. Between the 1 hour commute and the long sit at my desk time, there was no way to make it work. Jeans or slacks conceal it very well. And oftentimes I forget it is there. Maybe try an ankle carry---but use a calf strap, it is worth the peace of mind. I have even run soccer practices while carrying...it stays put very well.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Hoodasnacks wrote:Just a thought from left field...

My gut and my daily conditions finally rendered me to ankle carrying my G26. Between the 1 hour commute and the long sit at my desk time, there was no way to make it work. Jeans or slacks conceal it very well. And oftentimes I forget it is there. Maybe try an ankle carry---but use a calf strap, it is worth the peace of mind. I have even run soccer practices while carrying...it stays put very well.
Im s shorts and tshirt kinda guy so that wouldnt work well for me... also my carry gun is a full size M&P 40. not sure how that'd look in an ankle holster. lol. however it's a very good suggestion if i find myself in a job where i have to wear slacks.
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”