Kimber? Springfield? Ruger?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Kimber? Springfield? Ruger?

Post by cmgee67 »

Guys and gals I’m starting to look at finally picking up another 1911. I had a Ruger SR1911 5” mode in 45 but sold it because i could never get it to ever run reliably.

I would like a 1911 in 9mm and I’d like it to have between a 3.5-4” barrel length. I don’t want a full size. I really like the Kimber raptor 2 in stainless and I like stainless 1911’s in general over blued. I’m not sure what’s all out there and need some help to find a good reliable gun. Thanks

Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kimber? Springfield? Ruger?

Post by Salty1 »

I Suggest looking at the Springfield EMP, comes in 9 or 40 and is truly a very well made handgun.
Salty1

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

When you buy a Kimber, you're mostly paying for the pretty paint job.

I really like Dan Wesson 1911s. Their prices are in the same ballpark with Kimber, but instead you're paying for quality parts and first class craftsmanship. You'll be hard pressed to get anything better without springing for a Baer, Wilson, or other really top tier maker.

I own a Guardian and a V-Bob, both in .45, but they do make them in 9mm.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

1911 Raptor wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Guys and gals I’m starting to look at finally picking up another 1911. I had a Ruger SR1911 5” mode in 45 but sold it because i could never get it to ever run reliably.

I would like a 1911 in 9mm and I’d like it to have between a 3.5-4” barrel length. I don’t want a full size. I really like the Kimber raptor 2 in stainless and I like stainless 1911’s in general over blued. I’m not sure what’s all out there and need some help to find a good reliable gun. Thanks
Not sure why you had a problem with your Ruger as I have two in commander length and both run flawless. One is the stainless and one is the night watchman. I also own kimber ultra raptor II which has been flawless as well.
I’m not sure either. It would only take the ruger mags and it didn’t always work with the 7 rounder. It would stove pipe like crazy and after 200 rounds and 50 stove pipes and a few double feeds I said no more. I tried chip mccormick Mags and Wilson combat mags but no avail.

I will check out the ones suggested. Any other suggestions are welcome

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

+10 on the Dan Wesson. Not even in the same league with Ruger/Springfield. After all, DW is owned (now) by CZ. They wanted a company that could make 1911s up to their standard.

:thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My friend is a 1911 guru. He like Colt, Dan Wesson and has even said not to over look RIA. He thinks Kimber is over rated and over priced.

strogg

Post by strogg »

If you were to pick from the thread title, I'd say Springfield for sure. I've handled and shot a few Kimbers. They are pretty good, and it felt like I was shooting with an aimbot because I didn't need to try hard to hit the target. The Springfield, though, blows it out of the water. Extremely good quality, fit, and finish. Extremely accurate. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot. My friend (he owns one, I don't) never had a malfunction with it.

I've never shot a Dan Wesson before, but comparing the two guns side by side at a LGS, the Dan Wesson barely edges out the Springfield. Take it for what it's worth.

As for RIA, I used to own one, and it felt pretty decent for the money. The fit and finish was a bit rough. The material quality is comparable to high quality pot metal. The tolerances were just the right amount of tightness. Loose enough to be super reliable, but tight enough that it felt solid. It shot very accurately too.

I ended up selling it and got a different RIA instead (10mm, double stack). This fit and finish is about the same. Buttery smooth slide. Very good fitment of the parts as far as I can tell at purchase. There was one HUUUUGE problem, though. The barrel wasn't matched up correctly with the receiver. It was very wobbly. I didn't notice it at the store when I bought it due to the recoil spring pressure pushing the barrel down into the receiver. It wasn't until I took it out and shot 24 inch groups at 10 yards that I realized there was something wrong. OK, time to get it fixed. Now, RIA support is stupendous. "No problem! We'll bend over backwards to take care of you!" After some thought, I ended up declining their warranty support. Instead I ordered up a Bar Sto threaded barrel and had a smith install it for me. Not that I don't trust RIA, I just figured I may as well give it an upgrade. Now it's a tack driver like you wouldn't believe. With a new trigger, trigger job, sear spring, beavertail, Truglo sights, and a Hogue grip, this thing is a 16+1 round monster.

My next 1911 will probably be a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. I'm addicted to that caliber now.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Although not a response to your question, I have a Ruger SR1911, 5 inch and have never had any failures with it although I have not tried any mags except Ruger brand which I hear are Chip McCormick made. Just curious as to whether you contacted Ruger. They have very good customer service.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I own several 1911’s ranging from $300.00 to $3500.00. I have owned 2 Kimbers and had continuous issues with both. After several trips back to Kimber without success in fixing the issues I got rid of both.
With that said, my favorites are Colt and Springfield in the price ranges of those you listed. RIA is a great gun if your on a budget. Dan Wesson is a great gun also. Of course if you have the money, Les Baer is my #1 choice.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Sorry to hear about your SR1911 experience, I have a SR1911 Commander stainless, run Ruger and Wilson Combat mags in action matches, no problems.
Also have a SPringfield full size 1911, had it before the Ruger, had a few problems with it but that was before I figured out it was me, not the weapon. Firm, rigid wrist, now no issues.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

bayou

Post by bayou »

:iagree:

I shot a custom Colt for a while and also a new Kimber. The Colt shot a little better but the Kimber was more accurate than myself. The only FTE's were from me not holding the gun properly. The Kimbers may be overpriced but what's money when you take into consideration what they're for.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I hear all the complaints about Kimber, but I like mine. It will not reliably feed conical self-defense rounds, but that's not unique to my gun - many subcompact short-action 1911's, from what I hear, don't like conical profiles. I make sure the feed ramp isn't dry (just a sheen of oil) and have no trouble with JHP.

That's one of the reasons I'm shopping for a Commander-length 1911, or a CZ75, or something. On the other hand, the point above about the Kimber having a built-in aimbot sounds familiar. When shooting with friends and full size 1911's, I think excessive accuracy with a subcompact is a little rude. :mrgreen:

I think a Springfield 1911 deserves a second look.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”