Post by Paladin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:03 pm

CMP is awesome! I picked up an M1 carbine too and those are a ton of fun
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member, VCDL Member
Texas State Guard

Weg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M1 Garand CMP

Post by Weg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:50 pm

cmgee67 wrote:If you want your Garand to shoot modern 30.06 loads don’t you have to put in an adjustable gas plug?
Just stick to M2 ball loads and you will be fine, most ammo companies make a 30.06 M2 ball load, i've been shooting Privi Partizan, shoots good enough. I've also been shooting Garands for 20 + years and have never bent an op-rod using all kinds of factory ammo in the 150-168 grain weights, but I know it happens.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks for the info

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm still working on this can I got a couple years ago from Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PPU-M-G ... 620230.uts
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SigM4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:37 pm

The PPU and Sellier & Bellot M2 loads are both good range/plinking fodder for a CMP rifle.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DEB » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:47 pm

I have got a Marine Corps rebuild from the CMP. Excellent shooter, far better than me anyways. When I first got it, I field stripped, cleaned and then greased it up. I found out something when I first field stripped it as well. Don't over tighten the gas cylinder to where the front hand guard is immobile. It just didn't make sense to me to leave the handguard loose. But, it sure affected accuracy. I could not get it zeroed to save my life. All it did was shoot far left. I was sure perplexed and disappointed. I called the CMP and they ran over possible issues, one of which is over tightening the gas cylinder. So, I loosened it up to where the front handguard would freely move a bit and the accuracy was immediately improved. I then read more about accurizing the M1, got sand paper and got to work on insuring wood did not touch metal. I also use automotive synthetic grease on greasing it up. Now, that Garand is absolutely the greatest. Once you get one, you can never go back, that is for sure. I also used the CMP and purchased a 1903 Springfield. I have shot both and am overjoyed everytime I do so. You cannot find an M1, especially in the condition provided by the CMP, for the prices offered. Matter of fact, getting this M1 Garand was the initial reason I joined this and other forums. It was also the catalyst to getting my C&R FFL and purchasing multiple other (true) military assault rifles. Although they are not select fire, they all were carried by soldiers in the performance of their duties which could have included assaulting their enemies, whomever the "they" were. As a former soldier, It is so neat and humbling not only to hold these old weapons, but to shoot them as well.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”