M1 Garand CMP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

M1 Garand CMP

Post by cmgee67 »

Is the best place to buy and M1 the CMP? I have all my ducks in a row to be able to purchase from them and can get one for around 650$. My local gun shops sells the same field grade for 8-900. So obviously not buying one from them most likely

circumspice_tuebor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M1 Garand CMP

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

I recommend the CMP route. I don’t have experience with a field grade, but my M1 308 Special is an outstanding firearm and my buying experience was positive as well.
Micah 6:8

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've heard nothing but good things regarding CMP Garands.

I got mine from a customer of my brother-in-law's that only had daughter's and they were either uninterested or had moved out of the country to another country that they could not possess one anyway. I'm not exactly sure of what "level" it is, but it shoots really well and is in pretty good shape. I'm happy I got it and am pleased with it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

+1 for CMP. Keep your paperwork from CMP and that Garand will always have a known provenance.

Love my CMP Special. It's almost (almost!) too pretty to shoot. I'm thinking about getting a Field grade just for the heck of it.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I want the field grade because it’s as close to “battle worn” as it gets, and it’s still shootable

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Definitely go the CMP route. I got a Service level Springfield from them years ago (going on 15...wow) and the condition was nearly immaculate.
Psalm 91:2

SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SigM4 »

Be forewarned, he days of pristine rifles via the CMP are long gone, but so are the days of $350 Field Grades (hindsight and all that). That said yes, CMP is the way to go to get into a Garand. While you’re at it be sure to order a case or two of the Greek Surplus ammo and some spare en block clips. After that shoot the snot out of a fine rifle.
Last edited by SigM4 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I've not got a M-1 but I have bought two Daisy 853 air rifles from the Anniston CMP depot. CMP service and product has been top notch, IME.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

I've got two CMP Garands. Both, IMO very good values and high quality weapons. One I bought from CMP and one second hand CMP with paperwork. Both Service Grades. I believe that you get a very good value from the CMP. A number of years ago, my son walked the racks in the Ohio store and selected, with the help of one of their gunsmiths, a Service Grade that probably should have been a Special. I've never been to one of their Stores, but my son's experience was excellent.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jeff B. wrote:I've got two CMP Garands. Both, IMO very good values and high quality weapons. One I bought from CMP and one second hand CMP with paperwork. Both Service Grades. I believe that you get a very good value from the CMP. A number of years ago, my son walked the racks in the Ohio store and selected, with the help of one of their gunsmiths, a Service Grade that probably should have been a Special. I've never been to one of their Stores, but my son's experience was excellent.

Jeff B.
They have stores you can walk through? :shock:

I may have to put that in as one of the places to go on our bike as we get around to see America. Wouldn't that be nice? Ride around the country and when we get home there's a Garand waiting for me at my local FFL. :rolll
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

If you want your Garand to shoot modern 30.06 loads don’t you have to put in an adjustable gas plug?

sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

SigM4 wrote:Be forewarned, he days of pristine rifles via the CMP are long gone, but so are the days of $350 Field Grades (hindsight and all that). That said yes, CMP is the way to go to get into a Garand. While you’re at it be sure to order a case or two of the Greek Surplus ammo and some spare en block clips. After that shoot the snot out of a fine rifle.

Sorry but that Greek surplus is long gone :???:
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:They have stores you can walk through? :shock:
Yep! http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/cmp-stores/

Oh, and the CMP will ship your rifle directly to your home, except for people who live in NY, NJ and CT.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SigM4 »

C-dub wrote: Ride around the country and when we get home there's a Garand waiting for me at my local FFL. :rolll
No FFL required, ships straight to your door.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

SigM4 wrote:
C-dub wrote: Ride around the country and when we get home there's a Garand waiting for me at my local FFL. :rolll
No FFL required, ships straight to your door.
That's right. Rifle, not handgun. Duh! :oops:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”