Bill of sale?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 3

Bill of sale?

Post by Killadocg23 »

Do I need to fill out two bill of sales or justfull out one and make a copy of it?

Thanks

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bill of sale?

Post by twomillenium »

Bill of sale for what?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

twomillenium wrote:Bill of sale for what?
A firearm.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

Legally I don't think so.. CYA however.... I always try to insist on a bill of sale with the description and serial number along with the buyers / sellers drivers license or LTC number attached. That way if there was ever an issue with the firearm being stolen, etc. I have a paper trail.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Touchy subject some places.

Legally, I don't believe a BoS is required... however, if I'm selling to an unknown person in a face to face transaction, I'm going to want to see a CHL (LTC) as a personal preference. I'd be ok with a BoS if the buyer requested it. In that case I would print 2 paper copies and fill them both out... one for me and one for the buyer... Since I don't typically have a copier handy.

I suppose you could take a photo with your smartphone...

Just my opinion. Not legal advice.
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Killadocg23 wrote:Do I need to fill out two bill of sales or justfull out one and make a copy of it?
You do not need a bill of sale for a private firearm sale.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

This has been covered many times here but search engine is hard to use. You legally don't need a bill of sale. I personally won't buy or sell without one but that is me.
I use this one from Texasguntrader site.
Attachments
billofsale.pdf
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If I'm the seller, the only reason for a BOS is to show that the other person stated that he/she was legally able to buy a gun. I may require one for this reason if the buyer is unknown to me and does not have an LTC. I will at a minimum verify that they are a Texas resident, and check age if they look like they could be under 21.

If I'm the buyer, a BOS protects me against an unscrupulous seller later claiming that I stole their firearm. A text trail will usually accomplish the same purpose.

So I rarely use a BOS. But when I do, I want a copy for me and a copy for the other party.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:If I'm the seller, the only reason for a BOS is to show that the other person stated that he/she was legally able to buy a gun. I may require one for this reason if the buyer is unknown to me and does not have an LTC. I will at a minimum verify that they are a Texas resident, and check age if they look like they could be under 21.

If I'm the buyer, a BOS protects me against an unscrupulous seller later claiming that I stole their firearm. A text trail will usually accomplish the same purpose.

So I rarely use a BOS. But when I do, I want a copy for me and a copy for the other party.
:iagree: Exactly
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Thanks for those who commented positively. I know I dont need one but I want one. Just wanted to know if I should fill out 2 or just make a copy.
and yes I know the person its going to but the CYA rule still applies even with family in my books.

thanks

rotor

Post by rotor »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:If I'm the seller, the only reason for a BOS is to show that the other person stated that he/she was legally able to buy a gun. I may require one for this reason if the buyer is unknown to me and does not have an LTC. I will at a minimum verify that they are a Texas resident, and check age if they look like they could be under 21.

They don't need to be 21 but checking age is not a bad idea.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”