Compact 45 for concealment

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Compact 45 for concealment

Post by Excaliber »

My suggestions run along the same lines as others:

1911 subcompact (several good choices out there)
Shield .45
XDS
XDE (if it's out in .45 yet)
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

longhorn86
Posts in topic: 4

Post by longhorn86 »

Allons wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:
Allons wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:Another fan of the Shield .45 here. Picked up one before Christmas and it is taking over as my primary EDC. May displace my XDm 45 3.8 Compact, which is a sweet shooter.

Allons, where do you shoot?
At the bullet hole and Nardis gun club sometimes, the new one on NW side. Went to Blackhawk yesterday for the first time. My friend is a member there but they have no guns to try their only a range.

If you ever find yourself on NE side, I am member at McQueeney Gun Club. I would be happy to let you try my Shield 45, if you can't find one elsewhere to try.
Yeah that would be great. Never fired there, I'm not a member anywhere but will go anywhere to fire.
It is a very nice indoor range, comparable to Nardis, membership not necessary to shoot, non-members can pay $ 20.00/hr
NRA Life Member

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

My EDC is the Shield .45. Shield has 7+1 and 6+1 capacity. Grip texture is VERY aggressive. A little rough on my tshirts. If I want more capacity and dont mind the weight I can comfortably conceal a Springfield XD(m) Compact .45. 13+1 and 10+1.

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

+1 on the Shield. I had both the 9mm and .45 versions, and I honestly could not tell much difference at all in recoil between them.

I had the Colt Defender but sold it in favor of a CCO model 1911. To me, it conceals every bit as well as an Officers model like the Defender, since the concealment challenge for me relates to grip length. But the extra inch + in barrel length was very impactful on my accuracy. I would recommend a CCO or even a Commander model with a bobtailed frame over an Officer's model.

Topic author
Allons
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Allons »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:+1 on the Shield. I had both the 9mm and .45 versions, and I honestly could not tell much difference at all in recoil between them.

I had the Colt Defender but sold it in favor of a CCO model 1911. To me, it conceals every bit as well as an Officers model like the Defender, since the concealment challenge for me relates to grip length. But the extra inch + in barrel length was very impactful on my accuracy. I would recommend a CCO or even a Commander model with a bobtailed frame over an Officer's model.
Yeah I think the shield and xd series will be the first ones I test. Followed by some 1911's and glock 30
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
Allons

Post by Allons »

longhorn86 wrote:
Allons wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:
Allons wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:Another fan of the Shield .45 here. Picked up one before Christmas and it is taking over as my primary EDC. May displace my XDm 45 3.8 Compact, which is a sweet shooter.

At the bullet hole and Nardis gun club sometimes, the new one on NW side. Went to Blackhawk yesterday for the first time. My friend is a member there but they have no guns to try their only a range.

If you ever find yourself on NE side, I am member at McQueeney Gun Club. I would be happy to let you try my Shield 45, if you can't find one elsewhere to try.
Yeah that would be great. Never fired there, I'm not a member anywhere but will go anywhere to fire.
It is a very nice indoor range, comparable to Nardis, membership not necessary to shoot, non-members can pay $ 20.00/hr
Checked out range online. Will definitely be coming over your way. Ill let you know maybe we can meet up destroy some targets. :fire
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have an XD45 sub compact that I sometimes carry. My favorite though is my Colt Defender for a sub compact
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

longhorn86
Posts in topic: 4

Post by longhorn86 »

Allons wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:
Allons wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:
Allons wrote:

Checked out range online. Will definitely be coming over your way. Ill let you know maybe we can meet up destroy some targets. :fire

Absolutely!
NRA Life Member

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

I have been interested in 45 pistols with 10 round capacities or more that I could carry. Mostly, the XD 45's and the Glock 21 seem to be about as compact as it gets. Most of the other choices are larger than those two like the FN FNX-45. Some like the CZ 97 are a bit heavy.

Have any of you ever fired the Beretta Px4 Storm in 45? There are a few others I am not familiar with that I will have to look for.

Topic author
Allons

Post by Allons »

1911 Raptor wrote:I carry a 1911 Kimber Ultra Raptor II and it is a sweet concealable firearm. I was completely surprised at how accurate this pistol was for the size of the gun. It comes with night sights already installed.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/ultra-raptor-ii-45acp
Very nice looking. Not a bad price either.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Allons wrote:Went to the range this morning with a friend and shot is 45 XD model. I actually shot his weapon better than my own guns. Just wondering is their anyone out there that carry's a 45 compact or one that can be concealed that is not a glock or 1911. I love my CZ's I just wish they made a 45 in the concealment range. Just looking for some other options and it's always better to have more like GEICO.
My EDC is a XDM 3.8 in .45 or an XD custom in .45 concealed though not "secrete" carry. I do not have to dress in job specific clots or uniform so I am leisure casual almost all the time T short or other shirt untucked
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
Allons

Post by Allons »

E.Marquez wrote:
Allons wrote:Went to the range this morning with a friend and shot is 45 XD model. I actually shot his weapon better than my own guns. Just wondering is their anyone out there that carry's a 45 compact or one that can be concealed that is not a glock or 1911. I love my CZ's I just wish they made a 45 in the concealment range. Just looking for some other options and it's always better to have more like GEICO.
My EDC is a XDM 3.8 in .45 or an XD custom in .45 concealed though not "secrete" carry. I do not have to dress in job specific clots or uniform so I am leisure casual almost all the time T short or other shirt untucked
I was really impressed with xd. I never fired anything that small in a 45. I thought it would be hard to hit the target but it seemed easier.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ed4032 »

MechAg94 wrote:
Have any of you ever fired the Beretta Px4 Storm in 45? There are a few others I am not familiar with that I will have to look for.
I love mine. Got it here. Three mags. https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta ... cp-jxf5c26
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

I have a XDs in 45 that is great for concealment but I find it very unpleasant to shoot. My hands take XXL gloves and only having 2 fingers on the grip doesn’t give a firm hold. A couple boxes of ammo at the range and I feel like it has cheese graters for grips. I have a compact XDthat is much more comfortable to shoot but not so easy to conceal. My favorite carry 45 was a S&W CS45 with hogue grips. About the size of the XDs but much nicer to shoot. The downsides were the “on” switch and the first round DA only trggger pull. I was much more accurate with the CS45 than I am with the XDs. I’m in the process of buying another CS45 to do a side by side comparison at the range with the XD compact and the XDs.
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”