ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1020
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#1

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:31 am

Which would be best as range ammo? I imagine it wouldn't really matter. I know HP that isn't used for self defense is typically used for hunting and I've read that a lot of people like to use flat point as hunting ammo or range ammo. ball ammo is typically used as range ammo, but if the hollow points or flat points are more versatile would it be worth using those at the range or just buy whatever you want? Probably a pointless topic, but I was just wondering what other people prefer to use at the range and why. (I also know people like shooting the ammo they carry at the range which is fine but carry ammo is too expensive for me to do that. I could easily blast thru $1000 of my carry ammo in a matter of hours)
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Allons
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#2

Post by Allons » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:59 am

The only reason I would use hollow point on the range would be to test a new carry gun, or if I was using some kind of target to see how well a bullet penetrated an object. Other than that I would use ball ammo. You can save the extra money for new gun purchases or upgrading existing ones. As for flat never used so dont know. Just my .02 cents
EDC'S: Dan Wesson CCO, CZ-P07, XDS-45 MOD 2, SCCY CPX-2 , MP Shield-45
Home Defense: Mossberg 930 SPX
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999
Image


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#3

Post by flechero » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:53 am

IIRC, you shoot a .40, right? Flat points are a very common profile in .40 so you may find those instead of traditional ball ammo at the lowest price. The profile matters little for range work. Although a lot of competitors use JHP's (not the SD kind) as they are thought to be the most accurate. (like Zero, Montana Gold, etc.)

There are 2 schools of thought on range ammo:

1. Shop for and shoot the cheapest ammo available to save money.
2. Try several cheap options and use the one that has the same or closest point of impact as your carry ammo and then buy it in bulk when needed... maybe a few dollars more per case but more helpful for life's other needs.

I like option 2 best. (and when I reload, I tweak my loads to achieve that same result)
:fire


circumspice_tuebor
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#4

Post by circumspice_tuebor » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:46 pm

I like flat nose projectiles for the range and competition use: they produce well-defined holes. Round nose projectiles tend to tear the paper.

Finding FP ammo is not an issue for me since I reload.
Micah 6:8

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8694
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#5

Post by Beiruty » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:02 pm

9 and 45 stick with RN (plated or FMJ) for 40s, it is Flat Point BUllets
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

flowrie
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:16 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#6

Post by flowrie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:12 pm

Freedom Munitions has some really good quality and very well priced plated RN and plated HP for target/practice.
I use the reman ( remanufactured ) and never had any issues.
Shipping is usually very reasonable and sometimes free depending on the size of the order.
That is what I use for all of my pistol action matches.

SGAmmo is also a good source.
I very rarely buy ammo in a store, just order online and it shows up.
NRA Life Member, NGAT Life Member, NTSA Member, Texas Right to Life donor.

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1020
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#7

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm down to about 400 rds and was gonna buy more so I was wondering what everyone's preference was. sounds like it doesn't really matter unless you're competition shooting or as mentioned, testing a new target.
I guess I'll just grab whatever's cheapest.
flowrie wrote:Freedom Munitions has some really good quality and very well priced plated RN and plated HP for target/practice.
I use the reman ( remanufactured ) and never had any issues.

Shipping is usually very reasonable and sometimes free depending on the size of the order.
That is what I use for all of my pistol action matches.

SGAmmo is also a good source.
I very rarely buy ammo in a store, just order online and it shows up.
I used freedommunitions when i bought 1k rounds a few months ago. I've never bought remanufactured rds. Do you know of anyone who HAS had issues with their remanufactured rds? I may buy some remanufactured and some new just to kind of test them and see if i have any duds from the remanufactured ones
Image
NRA Member


G40yes
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:18 pm
Location: West Houston

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#8

Post by G40yes » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I use freedom munitions (new) 9mm FMJ (ball) for practice and like it for that. I once tried their reman to save a couple bucks, and had multiple failure-to-eject including one stovepipe, all from a single box of 50 rounds. I brought the unused boxes back and was given new 9mm in exchange. The employee said their 9mm was usually good, but they often had complaints on 223/556 ammo, BOTH new and reman. I have had great luck with several thousand rounds of New 9mm without any more FTE issues.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#9

Post by strogg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:32 pm

I can't say I've had experience with Freedom Munition loaded ammunition myself, but their bullets are made by X-treme bullets. I use those for my 10mm and .45 loads. They are pretty darn accurate and make very consistent groups. Also, when spot checking the weights, each one weighs exactly 180.0 grains and 230.0 grains on the scale. The low tolerances on the bullet weight is bonkers. The only other bullets I load that can get that kind of consistency are SMKs. The plating is also top notch on those things. And because they are plated (no exposed lead in the back of the bullet), they don't run as dirty. That means more rounds between full cleanings.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 23917
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#10

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:I'm down to about 400 rds and was gonna buy more so I was wondering what everyone's preference was. sounds like it doesn't really matter unless you're competition shooting or as mentioned, testing a new target.
I guess I'll just grab whatever's cheapest.
flowrie wrote:Freedom Munitions has some really good quality and very well priced plated RN and plated HP for target/practice.
I use the reman ( remanufactured ) and never had any issues.

Shipping is usually very reasonable and sometimes free depending on the size of the order.
That is what I use for all of my pistol action matches.

SGAmmo is also a good source.
I very rarely buy ammo in a store, just order online and it shows up.
I used freedommunitions when i bought 1k rounds a few months ago. I've never bought remanufactured rds. Do you know of anyone who HAS had issues with their remanufactured rds? I may buy some remanufactured and some new just to kind of test them and see if i have any duds from the remanufactured ones
I can’t speak to their remanufactured handgun ammo, although I’ve bought a couple thousand rounds of 9mm ball from them before. But I have bulk purchased remanufactured 168 grain BTHP match in .308 from them before, and it shot quite accurately in my FN SCAR 17S - putting 10 rounds into 3/4” at 100 yards. Not too shabby for a milspec battle rifle. That model of rifle has a well earned reputation for accuracy, but a great rifle won’t shoot bad ammunition any better than a bad rifle will; and the Freedom Munitions remanufactured match ammo was certainly up to the task. It has shot well in my Gunsite Scout too.

My guess is that their remanufactured handgun ammo would be equally well made.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

threoh8
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#11

Post by threoh8 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

For general-purpose range shooting in .45 ACP, I like semi-wadcutters, especially the H&G 68. Those feed well through my Colt, and they make nice, big, easy to see holes in the paper. If you're keeping score, they leave little doubt about which ring they cut - or didn't.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1020
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#12

Post by Grundy1133 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 pm

G40yes wrote:I use freedom munitions (new) 9mm FMJ (ball) for practice and like it for that. I once tried their reman to save a couple bucks, and had multiple failure-to-eject including one stovepipe, all from a single box of 50 rounds. I brought the unused boxes back and was given new 9mm in exchange. The employee said their 9mm was usually good, but they often had complaints on 223/556 ammo, BOTH new and reman. I have had great luck with several thousand rounds of New 9mm without any more FTE issues.
Interestingly, I was out shooting the Xtreme rds from freedom munitions yesterday (new rds) and I went thru 2 mags and in the middle of the 3rd mag i got a "click". so I waited 30 seconds... racked the slide and examined the rd. it had a tiny dent int he primer. so i reloaded it and that time it fired... examined the casing and there was a much larger dent in the primer this time (like a normal spent primer) So I'm wondering if that was the ammo or if my striker could possibly be going bad... I've only had maybe 1k-2k rds thru the gun so i wouldnt think the striker would be damaged or anything and i rarely ever dry fire (even tho i know its safe to do so now a days) i've been shooting differnt brands and havent had any more mis fires. ive tried winchester, xtreme, PMC, federal, remington, hornady.... haven't had any more misfires so im chalking it up to maybe a faulty primer.
Image
NRA Member


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8101
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

#13

Post by Abraham » Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 pm

My G19 eats up Speer Lawman 147 grain for range practise. They are flat nosed.

My Ruger lC9S hates them. Loves 115 Gr round nose.

Or, come to think of it, Federal 147 grain, HST, HP' feed fine through it, but just ordinary flat nose 147 gr. nope...

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”