Do Own A Sig 365?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Do Own A Sig 365?

Post by Scott B. »

cyphertext wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:42 am Not arguing that they won't fix it... just that until they do, I wouldn't carry one. The P365 has had more than just a single issue. Seems like Sig has more problems than most lately.
Perception is everything.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

flechero wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 am
Liberty wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 am I would never trust a 1911 because of reliability issues with defensive ammo
Isn't that a bit broad? Since there have been over 100 manufacturers and 1000's of models in the last 100+ years, ruling out an entire class of pistol, and it's variants. (many of which are as reliable as any "modern" design) Using that logic in plastic guns that have ever choked, would nearly eliminate any choice left.

I agree that reliability is key, but also realize that there is a difference between Baer, Wilson, STI,etc and ATI,Jennings, etc. About like comparing a 2018 Rolls Royce to a 74' pinto. :lol:
I was just speaking for myself, I also recognize that many folks have 1911s that reliably cycle their chosen defensive ammunition. I have fired $1000 dollar Kimbers that would choke occasionally on certain defensive ammo. I can't see me ever spending the time and money testing defensive ammo to find the magic formula I am not into fluffing and buffing, spending more than $700 dollars when my $3 and $400 dollar guns have worked out well for me.

All this being said, My next handgun will probably be a Rugger SR1911 commander. But It will be used as a range gun, not for defensive purposes.

YMMV
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Here is my report.

I picked up my P365 last Wednesday from my FFL. I had ordered it about a week prior from Buds.

Field stripped and cleaned it. I noticed that it was VERY difficult to remove the slide from the frame. So much so that I was tempted to grab a mallet and give it a whack (but ultimately didn't). Last Friday, shot 200 rounds of Federal FMJ. No issues at all. Very accurate and very easy to shoot. Cleaned it over the weekend. Still hard to remove the slide, but a little better.

Today, I took it to the range again. First 29 rounds = no issues at all. Very accurate. On round 230, dead trigger. Exactly like the video posted upthread. Racked the slide, inserted a new mag. Nope, trigger still dead. Cleared it, and racked slide several more times. No dice.

Just got off the phone with customer support. Explained the issue, and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to return it. I'll hopefully get to the Fed Ex facility tomorrow. I need to also drop off another gun for warranty repair (that one is a Walther), and need to send my Taurus for the recall. That reminds me, I need to see if my Sub2000 is included in their recall before making the trip. I wonder if FedEx will look at me weird if I am shipping 4 different guns? I must be having bad luck with guns lately. Need to stick to my reliable 1911's.

Net-net, if you are looking at this as a carry gun, don't get it yet. Wait til they work out the bugs. But if you have several carry guns and want to try your luck, then go ahead and pick one up. Just shoot 3-4 times more rounds than you normally would before you start carrying it. Worst case, you will need to make a couple trips to your local FedEx facility, and will need to make a phone call. This really is a cool little gun. Once they get the kinks worked out, it will definitely be a keeper, IMHO.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Liberty wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 am I would never trust a 1911 because of reliability issues with defensive ammo nor a Glock's and their ilk because of their reputation for shooting the people they are meant to protect. Others don't worry about such things. That's OK, but for me, I carry because of the tiny odds I'm going to need it. It makes no sense to play the odds with unsafe or unreliable weapons.

Some people put little importance to being drop safe. The thing is most people aren't that drop safe. We get into car accidents we fall, and things fall onto us. It's one thing to take a gun that might not be 100% drop safe to the range, but on one's persons while working driving etc. is a risk I wouldn't want to take. like everything in life though we make choices.
I have a full size Ruger SR1911 that has never skipped a beat but if I would carry for absolute "it will work" I carry a Glock 21 when I go .45ACP (and more capacity). For my truck gun as I don't care if it gets stolen it's the Taurus G2 Millenium (the one with the key lock-not the newer model as ihe older one has a lifetime warranty). I compare it to my Glock 26 but it has a safety and re-strike capability. Pretty good gun for the money.

I didn't like the feel of the P365 in my hands but my wife's favorite is the P320 Romeo and it did go back for the fix and is great. I might consider a P365 in a year.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:08 pm
Liberty wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 am I would never trust a 1911 because of reliability issues with defensive ammo nor a Glock's and their ilk because of their reputation for shooting the people they are meant to protect. Others don't worry about such things. That's OK, but for me, I carry because of the tiny odds I'm going to need it. It makes no sense to play the odds with unsafe or unreliable weapons.

Some people put little importance to being drop safe. The thing is most people aren't that drop safe. We get into car accidents we fall, and things fall onto us. It's one thing to take a gun that might not be 100% drop safe to the range, but on one's persons while working driving etc. is a risk I wouldn't want to take. like everything in life though we make choices.
I have a full size Ruger SR1911 that has never skipped a beat but if I would carry for absolute "it will work" I carry a Glock 21 when I go .45ACP (and more capacity). For my truck gun as I don't care if it gets stolen it's the Taurus G2 Millenium (the one with the key lock-not the newer model as ihe older one has a lifetime warranty). I compare it to my Glock 26 but it has a safety and re-strike capability. Pretty good gun for the money.

I didn't like the feel of the P365 in my hands but my wife's favorite is the P320 Romeo and it did go back for the fix and is great. I might consider a P365 in a year.
My 1911's are among the most reliable guns I own. I am a stickler for reliability. Any more than a one in 500 failure rate is too high, IMHO. My 1911's are at least as good as this, some better (and a few where I have less than 500 rounds fired).

That said, I have a revolver in my car, and another revolver near my bed. Just in case I need a gun that will work with absolute certainty, every single time. No semi-auto has that level of reliability, IMHO.

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

Soccerdad1995,

My Ruger 101 revolver failed me once.

Why?

The case of the cartridge for reasons unknown to me had expanded slightly apparently after being loaded into the chamber some months previously.

Thus, when I pulled the trigger it jammed, that is, it wouldn't revolve or rotate if you will.

I was astounded.

A revolver failed - So, revolvers aren't 'quite' as foolproof as we'd all like to think.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Abraham wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:15 pm Soccerdad1995,

Why?

The case of the cartridge for reasons unknown to me had expanded slightly apparently after being loaded into the chamber some months previously.

Thus, when I pulled the trigger it jammed, that is, it wouldn't revolve or rotate if you will.

I was astounded.

A revolver failed - So, revolvers aren't 'quite' as foolproof as we'd all like to think.
I too had a failure in my Ruger LCR but the fault was my fault. I loaded .38 special snakeshot and after the first round the shot capsule migrated and locked up the cylinder. When I did get it open #12 lead shot migrated into the crane so that I couldn't close the cylinder and it was quite hard to get all that shot out. Lesson learned. You can not use lead shot in a very light gun without having a failure. Stick to a heavy gun where recoil won't migrate the bullet (or in this case the shot cartridge) and lock things up. An inadequately crimped bullet I imagine could do the same thing.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:15 pm Soccerdad1995,

Why?

I was astounded.

I've heard of this same thing as well. Still a lot fewer points of failure for a revolver than a semi-auto. DA Revolvers are also nice in that the standard malfunction drill is just to pull the trigger again, which is nice if an inexperienced shooter might need to use the weapon (spouse, etc).

It would be interesting to figure out the absolute most reliable firearm platform. I'm guessing a single shot shotgun, or a bolt action have to be close to the top?

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Scott B. »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm It would be interesting to figure out the absolute most reliable firearm platform. I'm guessing a single shot shotgun, or a bolt action have to be close to the top?
The one you have with you is infinitely more reliable than the one you left at home :mrgreen:

Think you're on the right track. Some sort of single shot. I'd lean toward a break open or lifting block. Something with an absolute minimum of moving parts. Then the weak point will be ammunition.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

extremist
Posts in topic: 4

Post by extremist »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:50 pm Net-net, if you are looking at this as a carry gun, don't get it yet. Wait til they work out the bugs. But if you have several carry guns and want to try your luck, then go ahead and pick one up. Just shoot 3-4 times more rounds than you normally would before you start carrying it. Worst case, you will need to make a couple trips to your local FedEx facility, and will need to make a phone call. This really is a cool little gun. Once they get the kinks worked out, it will definitely be a keeper, IMHO.
Wow, that is unfortunate. I learned after I got mine, the slide comes off easier if you push on the rear with your thumb while pulling down on the slide release and making sure the take down lever is held down.

As I've said previously, mine is still running like a top, with at least 300 rounds down range. Many owners have well over 1000 trouble free rounds through theirs. Phil Strader recently made more comments that you can read on SigTalk http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p365-p320- ... 365-q.html or on the two Facebook P365 groups.

I'm can't wait to get my second one.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

extremist
Posts in topic: 4

Post by extremist »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:01 pm My 1911's are among the most reliable guns I own. I am a stickler for reliability. Any more than a one in 500 failure rate is too high, IMHO. My 1911's are at least as good as this, some better (and a few where I have less than 500 rounds fired).

That said, I have a revolver in my car, and another revolver near my bed. Just in case I need a gun that will work with absolute certainty, every single time. No semi-auto has that level of reliability, IMHO.
There are 1911s that are reliable and there are small 1911s that aren't. Just ask Rob Pincus :roll:

Seriously, a full size .45 ACP 1911 is typically pretty reliable, but who wants to carry that on your hip all day in 97 degree heat - yeah real men fine, but not me :cool:

9mm 1911s are notorious for not running. Small .45 ACP 1911s are REALLY notorious for not running. Unless you want to spend the money on a Wilson Combat, finding a small (Officer's) size .45 or 9mm 1911 that is 100% reliable is a challenge. Sure, there are examples that are, but just as many that aren't.

Now when you talk small 1911s in 9mm you have the only contender in my opinion - the Springfield EMP. Great little gun, I own two. BUT, mine are not 100% reliable with all ammo - 124gr +P Gold Dot will NOT run in them.

It's the only 1911 that's even close to the size of the P365 and holds 9 rounds, and is a lot heavier.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

My point: There are NO completely, utterly, undeniably, 100% reliable guns made.

None, zero, nada...

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Took my P365 out today. I fired 320 rounds with zero problems. I shot 50 rounds of Federal HST, 20 rounds of Critical Defense, about 20 WWB, and the rest was Independence ammo. I did notice that strike on the primers appeared to be different than I have noticed on other firearms. I will attach a photo. I hope it remains reliable because I would like to carry it.
F49D85DC-1877-433E-A534-A69975265B17.jpeg

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Another 200 rounds and zero problems.
Federal HST at 7 yards.
4586BEBE-577F-4C3F-8C5B-45A0A6494537.jpeg

Hornady Critical Defense at 10 yards.
E98037E9-7DE5-40EE-BD82-05C79984D061.jpeg

Smokey613
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Smokey613 »

Smokey613 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:21 pm I purchased two P365 a couple of weeks ago. Sold one to a friend and kept the other one. So far after 500rds it is flawless and is now my new off duty carry choice. I am very happy with it.

IMG_0357.jpg
Wanted to post an update. I decided to sell my P365. Just could not reconcile not knowing when it would fail. The person who bought it is aware of all the issues so no worries there. I also just got in one of the SS strikers that I ordered for mine. I may just go ahead and sell it. If I do revisit the P365, it will be after they are proven reliable.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”