Do Own A Sig 365?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

flechero
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Do Own A Sig 365?

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote:flechero,

Thanks, I'm very interested in this gun, but it'll take a year before I buy one, unless: I see lots and lots good reports. Let others be beta testers. Even after that time, you can still find guns that aren't reliable, but after a year or so of being on the market, if flaws show up and Sig fixes them before they're for sale, great. I just don't want to go through the returning of a gun to the factory so it'll work properly.

I watched a YT video regarding the Sig 365 and man it did NOT like the 115 grain round nose FMJ's.

How so: It often wouldn't go into all the way into battery.

The video was pooh poohed on a Sig forum, but I saw it over and over not go into battery.

How do you argue with that?

The Sig guys knocked the video from a number of perspectives, one being the shooters used cheap ammo.

Please, most of us don't use premium, that is to say high dollar ammo for range practice.

The Sig guys are diehard fans and will not hear of one of their precious guns being criticized...
I'm also interested in the little Sig. It would replace my current single stack 9's if it works. I saw the video you are referencing... there was a thread on it. I (and may others) think it was an ammo problem- out of spec ammo. (cheap, yes but that wasn't the issue. I believe it was a few thousandths long) They never tested another round, never measured a round or did anything but keep stuffing mags into it. Taking a known failure and repeating it for the camera. They should have just hit a 320 with a hammer and made it drop fire! :lol:

My post following the video you referenced:
flechero wrote:My experience with magtech was bad... so bad that I wouldn't shoot it again if it were given to me. All those FTRB could have been a simple OAL issue with the ammo.

It would have been nice to see them try it with different ammo... or at least mix in a box of anything else since the one guy said it was 50% failure. The fact that they didn't change ammo makes their test a waste of time and money for me. It only proves that the gun won't run with that variety of magtech ammo.
My local academy has had and sold 7 of them already but not when I have been there! :cryin I really want to hold one and see if it fits my hand comfortably. (that's top of my list for the NRA convention)

I'll run it hard if I buy one, knowing the reviews have been good but not universal.

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MaduroBU »

I have not been impressed by Sig of late. It used to be the tool of professionals, but now it seems that they surrendered that in favor of marketing to portray that image.

The P365 looks perfect on paper, but I am suspicious of it. With a G43, I can print two 8" circles at 10 yards...one center mass and one low left when I start flinching. And that's with cheapo 115 grain blasting ammo. I can chew the middle out of a target at 25 yards with a 357 Sig which makes 2.5x the muzzle energy from a 40 oz all stainless pistol, so it's not exactly recoil sensitivity. I think that polymer frame pistols produce very snappy recoil which makes it very tough for me to get back on targey quickly.

The P365 seems to be better than my P232 stainless in every way....until I start shooting it. I get that my comments are far from universally applicable, but I feel that I cannot be the only person who feels that way.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

txhighlander wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:I just stick with Glock and smith semis or Ruger revolvers...
Remove the Glock and replace with Beretta and CZ, I will stick with those. :thumbs2:
You don’t want the Army’s new M17? The first hammer striker fired gun? :smash: "rlol"

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txhighlander »

cmgee67 wrote:
txhighlander wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:I just stick with Glock and smith semis or Ruger revolvers...
Remove the Glock and replace with Beretta and CZ, I will stick with those. :thumbs2:
You don’t want the Army’s new M17? The first hammer striker fired gun? :smash: "rlol"
Clouded in such mysticism that one "rlol"
Truth against the world

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

Now, I'll have to re-visit the YT video, but I'm (almost) positive they DID use different brands of ammo not just one.

flechero

Post by flechero »

MaduroBU wrote:I have not been impressed by Sig of late. It used to be the tool of professionals, but now it seems that they surrendered that in favor of marketing to portray that image.

The P365 looks perfect on paper, but I am suspicious of it. With a G43, I can print two 8" circles at 10 yards...one center mass and one low left when I start flinching. And that's with cheapo 115 grain blasting ammo. I can chew the middle out of a target at 25 yards with a 357 Sig which makes 2.5x the muzzle energy from a 40 oz all stainless pistol, so it's not exactly recoil sensitivity. I think that polymer frame pistols produce very snappy recoil which makes it very tough for me to get back on targey quickly.

The P365 seems to be better than my P232 stainless in every way....until I start shooting it. I get that my comments are far from universally applicable, but I feel that I cannot be the only person who feels that way.
Your comments are common of many people shooting a lightweight, small framed pistol. But I would bet my wallet that the gun wasn't the difference... same thing would happen with a 365 as a CM9, PF9, LC9, G43, etc.

I can shoot PF9's and LC9 decently, but I have had them for years and have a lot of trigger time on them. Even still, I shoot them a little slower than I can a full size gun, or even a 4" officers framed 1911. That's the trade off in concealed carry, for those of us that have to conceal. The small guns are easier to carry, but harder to shoot. Compound that with most guys take the full size gun to the range and dial in with that and only occasionally shoot the little carry gun. I think people should start and finish each range session with the carry gun.

I'd love a small, all steel gun with a good trigger... but there are VERY few of those to be had and they are expensive. I can carry extra weight better than I can conceal a larger gun.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote:Now, I'll have to re-visit the YT video, but I'm (almost) positive they DID use different brands of ammo not just one.
Are we talking about the same one? The video I mentioned is here:

https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=91374

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

flechero,

Yes, that's the video I've been referencing.

And, they shoot other brand and not just Magtech, Blazer 124 gr being one.

I don't have time to re-watch the whole thing, but they may have shot some other brands of ammo too.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

flechero wrote:
MaduroBU wrote:I have not been impressed by Sig of late. It used to be the tool of professionals, but now it seems that they surrendered that in favor of marketing to portray that image.

Your comments are common of many people shooting a lightweight, small framed pistol. But I would bet my wallet that the gun wasn't the difference... same thing would happen with a 365 as a CM9, PF9, LC9, G43, etc.

I can shoot PF9's and LC9 decently, but I have had them for years and have a lot of trigger time on them. Even still, I shoot them a little slower than I can a full size gun, or even a 4" officers framed 1911. That's the trade off in concealed carry, for those of us that have to conceal. The small guns are easier to carry, but harder to shoot. Compound that with most guys take the full size gun to the range and dial in with that and only occasionally shoot the little carry gun. I think people should start and finish each range session with the carry gun.

I'd love a small, all steel gun with a good trigger... but there are VERY few of those to be had and they are expensive. I can carry extra weight better than I can conceal a larger gun.

I am sure it's the design and form factor, not the specific pistol. I shot the G43 as a surrogate because the rental place had that but not a p365.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote:

The S&W model 60 fits that bill nicely. As long as you don't mind carrying a revolver.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

As Flechero said above, there are trade-off with guns. Reliability versus accuracy is one. Concealability versus shootability is another one. Everyone needs to find that Goldilocks solution that is "just right" for them. If you are willing to practice with your gun and have the time to keep it meticulously clean / maintained, then you can get a gun that is more "difficult" to shoot, and may have a reputation for less reliability (from tighter tolerances). The key is to be honest about what you want, and how you are going to use it. If you are only going to get to the range once a month, or less, and you hate cleaning guns, then get a Glock, or a revolver. You will still be accurate enough at most SD shooting distances.

Personally, I am intrigued by the P365. It seems like it might fit very nicely in my carry rotation.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Scott B. »

I don't have time to re-watch the whole thing, but they may have shot some other brands of ammo too.
If you note the date of that video, you'll see that's from before the sight upgrade and barrel hood change.

But again, please don't buy any 365s for a couple of years. :mrgreen:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Scott B.

Okey Dokey!

flechero

Post by flechero »

I stand corrected... I must have bugged out after watching them repeatedly stuff mag after mag of bad ammo in it. :oops: I rewatched part of it and you were right... and at the 8:40 mark he said 350 rounds of Blazer and no reliability problems... with an already filthy gun. That would definitely suggest that the original magtech ammo was the issue. (as they said it was over 50% fail rate)

Either way, anyone that would continue to run that ammo without stopping to measure it or otherwise try to troubleshoot it, isn't someone I would trust to certify my guns. He's lucky he didn't stick one in the barrel and then blow it up!

So having said all that, I would still buy one and run it myself.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Anyone considering buying a P365 might want to watch this video first:

Keep watching all the way to the end.

Sig has earned a 2nd black eye. First was the not-drop-safe P320. Now this. Sig is a great pistol maker, but they need to take off the blinders here and reexamine their design process.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”