Magazine Release Button - How/What Can I Add To Make It Stick Out Furthr?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Magazine Release Button - How/What Can I Add To Make It Stick Out Furthr?

Post by Abraham »

I've looked to buy an extended magazine release button for my Ruger LC9SS as the existing one is not quite, but almost flat against the butt of the pistol, making dropping the magazine quite a chore. It needs to stick out further.

So, if there's no after market extended magazine button made (I've looked and couldn't find one) that can be properly installed, I'll have to jury rig it.

How?

Well, that what I'd like to know.

The only thing I can think of is gluing some material on the existing button. Yeah, this sounds like a dicey, primitive fix, but hey, maybe it'll work. I need it to stick out just a bit more, not far, but far enough...

Perhaps, a small, same size diameter, hard rubber piece glued on?

Ideas?

Anyone?

P.S. Sending it to Ruger, I've already done that with other problems with this model - Ruger LC9S
doing that is a giant pain, so if my idea works why not?

If push comes to shove I can send it in, but I'm not sure they'd fix it as it works as is, (if you fight with it enough, but you have to jump 3 times in the air, do 3 backflips, make the sign of the cross, scream, cry a little and eventually it'll work) plus, dealing with sending it in...again, just goes against the grain.

Thanks!

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Magazine Release Button - How/What Can I Add To Make It Stick Out Furthr?

Post by WTR »

I'd take the pistol to a competent Gun Smith and tell him what you want.

strogg

Post by strogg »

I wouldn't glue. It'll just come right off. How about drilling/tapping the existing mag release button? It's made out of metal so it shouldn't be a problem.

But I'd also consider getting a new mag release button from Ruger. The one on mine works flawlessly. I have zero issues releasing the mag. When pressed down, it is just about flush with the frame. Otherwise, it sticks out about .08", which is plenty enough. It's also easy to press (not stiff like most other mag releases).

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm not familiar with that Ruger. On Glock's this is a very common customization and it is solved by just swapping the mag release button from a wider framed Glock. Again, I'm not sure whether that is an option for the Ruger.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Abraham wrote:...and one day, none this will matter...
:iagree:
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

You might want to try buying a new part from Numrich and swap it out to see if it improves.
Maybe buy a new spring too. The problem could be due to tolerance stack-up.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1389690
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I heartily thank each and everyone of you.

Wildbill, the Numrich & spring idea may possibly be the answer.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

AndyC wrote:Pity it ain't a 1911 ... ;)

That said, I'm wondering if the height could be increased with a bit of JB Weld and ground to shape.
This! :thumbs2:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

JB Weld, like duct tape, can fix anything! :thumbs2:
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It might be worth it to give Ruger a call to see if they have a custom shop and sell upgraded parts like what you need. Individual small parts won’t be very expensive, and you have the satisfaction of knowing that the manufacturer has tested and approved them for use in your gun........IF they have them. The price of a phone call might save you some money.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Allons

Post by Allons »

The Annoyed Man wrote:It might be worth it to give Ruger a call to see if they have a custom shop and sell upgraded parts like what you need. Individual small parts won’t be very expensive, and you have the satisfaction of knowing that the manufacturer has tested and approved them for use in your gun........IF they have them. The price of a phone call might save you some money.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Allons wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:It might be worth it to give Ruger a call to see if they have a custom shop and sell upgraded parts like what you need. Individual small parts won’t be very expensive, and you have the satisfaction of knowing that the manufacturer has tested and approved them for use in your gun........IF they have them. The price of a phone call might save you some money.
Also, if you have to arrange shipping on your own, check out Shipmygun.com. They make it very easy, and it doesn't cost a ton. Maybe $35 or so.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”