Balistol vs Hoppes

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Balistol vs Hoppes

Post by Liberty »

I've been using Hoppes forever, It has always worked well. I don't get my guns real filthy cause I usually take a couple or three down to the range and clean them every time. I've given up with the old patch and rod method. but use a boresnake, its a lot faster and seems to do a giood job, two swipes and thats it. Hoppes #9 on the bristle end and a little oil on the tail.

I have heard of this wondrous product called Ballistol. It's fans seem to rave on and on about this wondrous product. I stopped at the LGS on the Island and saw that they had some and picked up a can. I've never noticed it before. I think its made in Germany. It's main attraction to me is that it is one product to clean and oil. Spray it down the barrel and run a bore snake. I noticed on the label the the product promises. Dissolve traces of lead and copper, but I've never noticed an issue using Hoppes either.

I'll probably continue using Hoppes for recievers and parts. Oil or grease where appropriate.

My question is, "Has anyone used this stuff and how does it compare to Hoppes? " I am a little sceptical about a one product does all. Can this stuff lubricate as well as a real oil. Am I better off using chemicals that are specialized? Oil to lubricate, and cleaners/Solvents to clean? I realize that products such as Balistol and CLP do clean. but do they clean better than a dedicated product such as Hoppes?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Balistol vs Hoppes

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I think you are going to get many different opinions on this. It's kind of like asking about the best carry gun. Here's my take.

For cleaning, I have tried a lot of different options. We used CLP in the Army, and I still use that on occasion. I have also tried Gun Scrubber aerosol, Hoppe's #9, and a bunch of others that I can't recall, but which had online reviews raving that they were the best thing out there. I also have an Ultrasonic cleaner that I use on occasion. I have never really noticed much of a difference to be honest. They all get the firearm nice and shiny where it's supposed to be shiny, and clean otherwise. Gun scrubber is the easiest / quickest since it literally "blasts" the firearm clean with the aerosol. But it is a bit messy. I need to open my garage door and stand in the driveway when using it, which can be awkward if neighbors walk by with their kiddos. The smell is a bit strong. Oh, and it also messed up the finish on my Dan Wesson CCO, but never hurt any of my other guns. This is assuming that you are stripping and cleaning the entire firearm. If you are just cleaning the bore / barrel, then a bore snake with any normal cleaner will get similar results, IMHO.

For lube, I usually use FP-10. Dan Wesson ships their firearms with a small bottle of this, and I really like Dan Wesson guns, so I use that. I have also used CLP, Grease, and a few other things. I have never had an issue that I suspected was due to the lube being sub-par. I have had issues when I fired a few hundred rounds through a gun that had been sitting untouched in my safe for over a year, but that was a lack of lube, not the lube being ineffective. I do like to field strip and lube my carry gun(s) every month or so to make sure I won't have any issues. This also gives me a good excuse to shoot them. Then again, I am at the range several times a week, so it is easy to get my carry gun some work.

Net-net, as long as you are using a cleaner and lube that is actually intended for firearms, I think you should be fine. And yes I know that motor oil and brake cleaner (or is it transmission cleaner) will also work. I have just never tried those.

strogg

Post by strogg »

I would be wary due to two reasons: you don't know what's in there that acts as the lubricant, and I would be concerned about what will actually stick to the firearm as a lubricant. A good cleaner should easily wipe right off, and a good lubricant should have the ability to stick to the metal very well. I find it hard to believe that a liquid substance can do both at the same time.

As a side note, after reading up on chemical compositions of certain cleaning products, I've given up on all cleaning and lubrication products and now use a homemade brew. The formulation I have can theoretically lubricate too (it contains 20% motor oil), but it's too watery for it to stick very well, so I just wipe it down and put straight motor oil (Motul 20W50 dino oil) as lube. You need the oil to be thick so it sticks a little better, and I like Motul because it has ester in it which microscopically sticks to the metal crevices better. Since it's motor oil, you know the chemical makeup, and you'll also know it won't come with bad additives that will alter the molecular structure of the gun parts.

If anyone's wondering, I use equal parts acetone, mineral spirits, and kerosene (the key to Hoppes #9). It should also be equal parts motor oil, but mine is more 20% than 25% motor oil. The oil I use is pretty thick, so I decided to keep it on the low end. That formula melts away any buildup or carbon very quickly, and is safe on all polymers and finishes that I've put it up against. Initial investment is about $20 + the motor oil, but that will net you a gallon of cleaner. Good luck using all of that anytime soon.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

I don't know which is best. hickok45 uses Balistol. No matter what I use the guns work fine.

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

rotor wrote:I don't know which is best. hickok45 uses Balistol. No matter what I use the guns work fine.
The Hoppes I've been using works fine. I've used a few different lubricants, but only hopped as a solvent. Mostly I'm wondering if just running a boresnake down a barrel, soaked with Ballistol will protect it as much as cleaning with Hoppes and running an oiled patch down the barrel.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

rotor wrote:I don't know which is best. hickok45 uses Balistol. ...
^ this. I am a fan of Balistol. It works great and is even good for wood stocks.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I use CLP for gneneral purpose cleaning, lubing, protecting, with a bore snake. For areas of critical wear - like slide rails on pistols, or cam pins and bolt bodies on ARs, I use Weapon Shield: https://goo.gl/images/wi2LZ4, which works exceedingly well.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Anyone like G96? I like it. I use almost all the major ones too.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Ballistol for me.
Developed prior to WWI.
Good for metal or wood or leather.
Not harmful to skin, safe to use.
Have also used it to clean the micro switches on the ice maker/ water dispenser on the refrigerator.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I recently switched to Ballistol as my primary CLP and have been pretty happy with it. I don't grease the rails on my pistols and haven't noticed any abnormal or accelerated wear while using Ballistol. It is a fairly mild cleaner so if you have some heavy duty copper or powder fouling, you will probably want to use something stronger. For everyday cleaning after range trips though it has worked well.

I do still use Hoppe's and grease on my M1. It seems sacrilege to not do so.

Two areas where I've noticed that Ballistol seems to shine and that is in removing cosmoline and black powder / corrosive ammunition cleaning.

Be warned though, the smell is weird. Like a combination of black licorice, wild anise and dirty socks. Some hate it, I just think it's odd.
Psalm 91:2

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

I have used both and here is my take:

Hoppe's No. 9 solvent is a far better cleaner than Ballistol. You can experiment with both to confirm that or maybe you will get a different result than I have. Always fun to experiment and compare.

Hoppe's No. 9 bore cleaner or solvent is not a lubricant or protectant. For those chores I would recommend Ballistol or Breakfree CLP.

I will usually clean with Hoppe's then follow-up the lubricant-protectant part with Ballistol, Breakfree, or Mobil 1 Synthetic oil.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

JRG

Post by JRG »

I use Break Free, but also use Ballistol some times. I do have trouble getting used to the smell of Ballistol though.

Joe

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

CLP, there's a reason the military uses it. I also use frog lube for more critical lubing.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

How quickly the new cleaner/lubes fall out of favor.

No mention of Frog Lube or Fire Clean.

I'm using up the last of my Fire Clean, but man the stench of Hoppe's isn't something I'm going back to.

The quest for the best gun cleaner/lube is like trying to find the Ark or something similar.

Heck, bacon grease would probably be a good lube and smell great too!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”