Optic Zero

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
WTR
Posts in topic: 3

Optic Zero

Post by WTR » Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 pm

I've been watching a few shooting shows today and they infer that you can take a scope or other optic, pull it out of your bag, snap it on your AR and you are zeroed and good to go. That is not my experience but I have not used any new systems. Do you all find this to be true or just commercial puffing?

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Optic Zero

Post by Allons » Fri May 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Not mine either, was at the range today with new sightmark red dot wolverine and did not work for me. It took 4 groups of 3 or 12 rounds before I was zeroed. After that I was good.
EDC'S: Dan Wesson CCO, CZ-P01, CZ-P10C, CZ-P07, XDS-45 MOD 2, XD-45 MOD 2, SCCY CPX-2 , MP Shield-45
Home Defense: Mossberg 930 SPX
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
WTR

Post by WTR » Fri May 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Allons wrote:Not mine either, was at the range today with new sightmark red dot wolverine and did not work for me. It took 4 groups of 3 or 12 rounds before I was zeroed. After that I was good.
They make it look so quick and easy, I thought I may need to invest in some modern sight systems.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons » Fri May 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Everybody's eyes are different there is no way everyone could be zeroed out of the box.
EDC'S: Dan Wesson CCO, CZ-P01, CZ-P10C, CZ-P07, XDS-45 MOD 2, XD-45 MOD 2, SCCY CPX-2 , MP Shield-45
Home Defense: Mossberg 930 SPX
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

SRO1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SRO1911 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Some of the higher end QD mount systems do maintain a high degree of repeatability, with 1-2 moa however you must still zero it traditionally the first time.
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri May 11, 2018 10:23 pm

BOBRO mounts guarantee return to within .5 MOA of zero - which is why I use them almost exclusively on my AR/battle rifle optics. I currently have one for my ACOG, for a Aimpoint T2 Micro, and for the 4-16x50 Viper PST on my SCAR 17. They are absolutely worth the price. In a comparison test I read a long time ago, comparing the BOBRO and several other high-end mounts, and in actual testing, the BOBRO was the most repeatable, averaging a return to within .1 MOA of zero. I no longer have a link to that test, but if I can find it again, I’ll gladly provide it. They are Texas-made too.

https://swfa.com/mounts-rings-and-bases ... rand=Bobro

BOBRO mount on my SCAR:

BOBRO mount on my SBR:

BOBRO on my A4 replica:

I have another one like the one on the SCAR, which I’m holding onto for another build some day.

Here is a link to an article which quotes from the above comparison I mentioned: http://cockedandlockedguns.com/top-rate ... and-bobro/.

......and here’s the original article. Page 98 of this back issue of Recoil Web: http://mist.breg.si/gunsUSA.pdf
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

Topic author
WTR

Post by WTR » Fri May 18, 2018 7:52 pm

The mounting system I saw advertised is by Kinetics. Pricy but good reviews.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”