Protectant for Parkerized Finish?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Protectant for Parkerized Finish?

Post by dlh » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Picked up my new Mossberg 590A1 shotgun yesterday! An awesome shotgun!

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-51663/

This is my first firearm with a Parkerized finish. I pulled out a Rem-oil wipe to wipe the barrel down but the wipe hardly fazed it. Maybe the wipe was getting dry from sitting a long time in its container--not sure.

Ballistol...Breakfree...Mobil1?

I searched on the internet and read some guys put barrels in the oven, etc. but I don't want to go to those extremes.

What do you guys use as a protectant and how do you apply it?
Last edited by dlh on Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Protectant for Parkerized Finish?

Post by flechero » Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm

I don't apply a specific protectant... a park'd finish is much more durable than your standard blued finish so I wouldn't worry excessively over it. Although I only use my shotgun barrels to direct lead, not club :smash: or finish things off! :lol: Clean after shooting/hunting and then wipe down with a silicon cloth when putting it back into the safe.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw » Thu May 17, 2018 2:36 pm

For a new firearm, oil the snot out of it and let it sit overnight. Much of the oil will soak in. Wipe off any that doesn't.

Parkerization is a very porous finish, designed to hold oil next to the metal so it won't rust.

That finish has been widely used by the military for many years. You don't see them with too many "gun ovens".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Pawpaw wrote:For a new firearm, oil the snot out of it and let it sit overnight. Much of the oil will soak in. Wipe off any that doesn't.

Parkerization is a very porous finish, designed to hold oil next to the metal so it won't rust.

That finish has been widely used by the military for many years. You don't see them with too many "gun ovens".
I will have to try letting it sit overnight. Typically I just apply some oil to all the metal parts after I clean a gun and wipe clean after I reassemble. I do think you need more than just a wipe for this. I don't bathe it, but I do wet the metal.

lonestar144

Post by lonestar144 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Parkerizing is a very durable finish against rust and scratching, not gouges though. Just wipe the barrel down with your protectant of choice, let it sit a little bit, then wipe excess.

Rob72

Post by Rob72 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:24 am

Parkerizing is a "micro-crystalline, porous" finish. It was specifically adopted as a standard Mil-spec finish for its ability to retain oil and grease, in contact with the metal surface. IOW, when you wipe it down the first time, you're saturating the surface. Just do it another time or two, until your get a faint gloss.

Ooorr. It is the perfect (again, Mil-spec) base for epoxy finishes. If you have it tefloned/Ceracoated/Duracoated, you won't ever see rust, unless you get a serious ding. :cool:

AndyC

Post by AndyC » Fri May 18, 2018 8:42 am

What the guys said - you have to let it soak up oil, it's porous.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Topic author
dlh

Post by dlh » Fri May 18, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I applied two or three Hoppe's Gun Oil Field Wipes to the barrel and receiver and that did the job! At first the finish was like sandpaper and resisted the oil but after repeated passes the oil finally "overcame" the finish and it looks great!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

AndyC

Post by AndyC » Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm

It may "ooze" a little for a while and grease works best (particularly baked-in, as you've read), but that's really all it needs once in a while.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

WTR

Post by WTR » Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Once I "seasoned" my Parkerized weapons I pay no special attention to them. Just wipe them down normally when I clean them

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”