40mm grenade training ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

40mm grenade training ammo

Post by puma guy »

I'm attending our city's Citizen Police Academy abd last night we had presentations demonstrations by CNT and SWAT. One of the demos was live fire of theit 40mm grenade launcher with sponge foam rounds. I picked up one of the projectiles and let another attendee examine it and they never returned it. LOL. I was able to get the spent casing from one of the rounds to see what type of primer it had. To my surprise the case had .38 Colt Short inserted where a primer would be. A blank I assume. I don't know if there is a powder charge as well and the fellow doing the demo didn't know either. I have to believe there is since the sponge rounds put dents in the 55 gallon plastic drum. One of the sniper team members demonstrated a 250 yard prone shot with his Rem 700 set up in cal. 308. It was suppressed and we learned he had purchased it with his own money and of course followed the procedure to own it. Had demos of AR in 5.56 that was auto capable as well as a H&K M-5. The shooters were very skilled and the full auto patterns were kept inside the center mass area on their target. 30 rounds with the AR. I don't know what an M5 mag holds but almost all his shots were in a base ball sized area.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 40mm grenade training ammo

Post by CleverNickname »

The foam rounds are less-than-lethal crowd control rounds, though I suppose they could be used for training too, since they're cheap-ish and don't have any explosives in them.

Actual 40mm training rounds are the chalk rounds which leave a cloud of chalk dust where they impact, so it's easier to see where they hit, from a distance.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

CleverNickname wrote:The foam rounds are less-than-lethal crowd control rounds, though I suppose they could be used for training too, since they're cheap-ish and don't have any explosives in them.

Actual 40mm training rounds are the chalk rounds which leave a cloud of chalk dust where they impact, so it's easier to see where they hit, from a distance.
The rounds they were using were just like the sponge projectiles used for crowd control, but are provided to the department free of charge for training, but are a different color foam (black VS blue) which differentiates them from regular rounds according to the SWAT team member who put on the demo. The sponge rounds are quite expensive, I think he said 40 or 50 dollars. The cases appear to be turned aluminum alloy. I'll try to remember to post a photo.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Photos of the training round shell case and SWAT member.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”