Gun ownership in Iceland

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Gun ownership in Iceland

Post by LDB415 »

Interesting article. I disagree with a fair amount but interesting still.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/icel ... aa2c52d7f3
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Soccerdad1995

Re: Gun ownership in Iceland

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I initially thought the mandatory training was a bit unnecessary, then I read this in reference to semi-auto rifle
"When you have an automatic gun in your home, anybody can access it, your children or anyone else," he says.
and I concluded that yes, it must be necessary because apparently in Iceland people are not intelligent enough to figure out what the word "semi" means, and also have no idea how to properly secure their firearms. So it probably is necessary to make them attend a class.

Then I realized that this statement was made by one of the people giving the class :banghead:

Let's just ignore the other statement about guns having a "pointy end" and a "trigger end".

So yes, mandatory training is apparently necessary for people who live in Iceland. But I would probably expand this beyond just buying guns, and require training before they buy anything, including shoes. From what I have read, Iceland has a very homogeneous DNA pool. I suspect that may have something to do with it.

MaduroBU

Re: Gun ownership in Iceland

Post by MaduroBU »

A tiny fraction of gun deaths occur because people were unfamiliar with the safe operation of the weapon. Nearly all of them result from deliberate misuse.

How will more training help prevent gun deaths on a meaningful scale? Further, Iceland's classroom requirement applies to legal gun owners, which will not affect those who illegally obtained their guns.

Any attempt to understand Anerican gun violence must start with a solid understanding of where, why and how it occurs. It is not a widespread problem; it is an extremely focal issue. Whether one detests guns or cherishes the 2A, that understanding is critical to the shared goal of fewer people dying from gunshot wounds.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”