Alien Gear; Hype or worth it?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 9

Alien Gear; Hype or worth it?

Post by Grundy1133 »

I just got my AlienGear Shapeshift 4.0 starter kit in the mail today. first impressions out of the box are man theres a lot of stuff here and this looks fun! after reading the quick setup i was able to quickly figure out how to assemble each configuration. first off I tried IWB. Now im not a big fan of hybrid holsters just because they are usually thick and bulky but this thing is pretty slim line and fits nicely up against my side. the soft neoprene allows it to breathe and conform to the curves of your body. I really like all the different hooks and loops that came with it. I am using the C hooks just because they seem to fit my belt the best. The adjustable retention is a nice feature but the only thing I have issues with is that when i tighten my belt it adds to the retention of the holster so i have to loosen the retention a bit to get it to where I can consistently draw my gun without having to tug and pull on it. I might try the optional thumb release and see if i like that any better. OWB paddle feels nice. its comfortable and it comes with an optional belt slide in case you dont wanna use the paddle. the paddle config has a detachable shell that you can attach to any surface that has (an included) wall mount kit. pretty cool if you like to OC and you wanna mount your gun on your bedpost or under a desk or something. The OWB belt slide config (different from the paddle belt slide) is probably my favorite config. unlike the paddle config the belt slide config rides high and tight close to the body so that it's easily able to be concealed under a shirt while maintaining OWB. The appendix IWB I'm not really able to actually tell you how it feels as an appendix carry because im too fat to carry appendix... it digs into my gut. however i can put it at about 7 o clock (im left handed) and it feels pretty nice. it has only 1 clip as opposed tot he standard IWB hybrid config that has 2 clips so you're able to move it around more easily. all in all I'd say its a good deal. 4 holsters for roughly $100 and the great thing is if i ever decide to carry a different gun i just buy the shell for that gun model and i can attach it to the appendix backing or the IWB backing. essentially paying ~$20 for 4 holsters. They also plan to include more carry methods in the future including shoulder, drop leg, ankle, backpack, and a few others. I'll carry the holster in different configs for about a week (a week for each holster config) and update this thread to see if i still enjoy it.
NRA Member

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Alien Gear; Hype or worth it?

Post by Tex1961 »

After using mine now for over 6 months, I couldn't be happier with it. Granted, 90% of the time I just use one configuration, but there have been those times that I wanted to carry a little differently and all it took was a few minutes to swap out configurations and waalaa.. done... I probably spent more on my first 2 holsters (which 1 got sent back and the other is somewhere in a drawer) than I did on the whole AG Shapeshift system. I also like the fact that if I decide to change guns, all I need to purchase is the shell and I just effectively got 4 new holsters. Now that they have added thigh, shoulder and backpack mounting options it's even better.

You'll find that "sweet spot" on the retention tightness as you get used to it.

Allons
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Allons »

Thanks for the info guys. I have three EDC'S that I use and 2 holsters for each, one iwb and owb that's a total of 6 not including the cheap ones from Academy. Will definitely look at those. Maybe I could get rid of these kydex holsters. I also have one leather one and I dont like it at all.
Last edited by Allons on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Allons wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 pm Thanks for the info guys. I have three EDC'S that I use and 2 holsters for each, one iwb and owb that's a total of 6 not including the cheap ones from Academy. Will definitely look at those. Maybe I could get rid of these kydex holsters. I have one leather one and I dont like it at all.
yeah if you carry multiple guns definitely look into the shapeshift. or if you carry 1 gun and say you sell it and buy a different one, you can return your shell for a different model gun shell for no charge. i assume you'd have to pay shipping, but it beats having holsters lying around for guns you dont own anymore.
NRA Member

Allons
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Allons »

Grundy1133 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:53 pm
Allons wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 pm Thanks for the info guys. I have three EDC'S that I use and 2 holsters for each, one iwb and owb that's a total of 6 not including the cheap ones from Academy. Will definitely look at those. Maybe I could get rid of these kydex holsters. I have one leather one and I dont like it at all.
yeah if you carry multiple guns definitely look into the shapeshift. or if you carry 1 gun and say you sell it and buy a different one, you can return your shell for a different model gun shell for no charge. i assume you'd have to pay shipping, but it beats having holsters lying around for guns you dont own anymore.
Will do
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

At NRAAM Alien Gear had their prototype shoulder holster in the booth. Rep said expect summer/fall release.

I have a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB that is comfortable to wear, and an AG Cloak Mod OWB paddle holster. No problems with either.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Not my experience, bought the kit for my PX4 Storm . I tried it for 2 weeks in all configurations and came away with its the worst product I have ever bought. Lucky their customer service is top notch and the took it back. I purchased it for the paddle so when I am on the Harley or out I could easily take the rig off and lock it up. If the holster was tight enough that it wouldn’t fall out , when you drew the weapon the holster an all came out . I fiddled with it for a couple of weeks and sent it back for a refund. Bought a similar holster like Mr. Cotton has from Mr .Warren that will easily go on and off the belt and I am much happier. So if you purchase from Alien gear put it thru the works during the trial period so if need be you can send it back. That is why there are so many holster makers cause what makes one man happy make another one sad.
Truth against the world

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

txhighlander wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:47 pm Not my experience, bought the kit for my PX4 Storm . I tried it for 2 weeks in all configurations and came away with its the worst product I have ever bought. Lucky their customer service is top notch and the took it back. I purchased it for the paddle so when I am on the Harley or out I could easily take the rig off and lock it up. If the holster was tight enough that it wouldn’t fall out , when you drew the weapon the holster an all came out . I fiddled with it for a couple of weeks and sent it back for a refund. Bought a similar holster like Mr. Cotton has from Mr .Warren that will easily go on and off the belt and I am much happier. So if you purchase from Alien gear put it thru the works during the trial period so if need be you can send it back. That is why there are so many holster makers cause what makes one man happy make another one sad.
Agreed! they have that 30 day test drive thing. dont like it send it back. not many holster companies do that
NRA Member

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

also how did the paddle keep coming off your belt if you dont mind my asking... mine has a lip on it that keeps it securely attached to the belt.
NRA Member

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I wear a blade tech ratchet belt that I love but if the holster was tight enough to secure the weapon , in my opinion, the whole thing would pull free. When I backed the tension off so the holster would stay put , the storm was loose in the holster. I couldn’t achieve a happy medium. It had the lip as well. Maybe the belt I wear was to thin for the paddle? It’s the only gunbelt I have at this time.
Truth against the world

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

txhighlander wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 pm I wear a blade tech ratchet belt that I love but if the holster was tight enough to secure the weapon , in my opinion, the whole thing would pull free. When I backed the tension off so the holster would stay put , the storm was loose in the holster. I couldn’t achieve a happy medium. It had the lip as well. Maybe the belt I wear was to thin for the paddle? It’s the only gunbelt I have at this time.
I’m running a Kore belt and it works really well with my AG gear

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I have a belt from bigfoot gun belts. i found out last week when i was looking into buying an AG holster that bigfoot is their sister company and all of their holsters are designed to work with all of their belts which is a good thing because i got their thickest belt they had because it was recommended for people who carry fullsize guns and sometimes it can be a pain to find holsters that have slides hooks and clips that are big enough for it.
NRA Member

strogg

Post by strogg »

From my experience with the Cloaktuck 3, the neoprene backer isn't very breathable. It makes sense, though. Neoprene is a closed cell foam, like the pink padding foam or styrofoam. So by definition, it shouldn't be breathable. And it feels like that too. It sticks to my bare skin where it makes contact, and it causes profuse sweating around the entire padding area. Not cool. You have to hand it to the company for the modularity, though. It's difficult to make such a modular system so slimming at the same time.

For iwb comfort, it is hard to beat SG USA. I am very happy with their holsters. At the end, though, I have only one IWB holster in rotation, and it's a taco style holster I made from 80 mil kydex at home. It's simple and very easy to hook and unhook. And it's really not uncomfortable either. It beats Aliengear, that's for sure. All my other holsters are leather OWB or pocket holsters.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

strogg wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 pm From my experience with the Cloaktuck 3, the neoprene backer isn't very breathable. It makes sense, though. Neoprene is a closed cell foam, like the pink padding foam or styrofoam. So by definition, it shouldn't be breathable. And it feels like that too. It sticks to my bare skin where it makes contact, and it causes profuse sweating around the entire padding area. Not cool. You have to hand it to the company for the modularity, though. It's difficult to make such a modular system so slimming at the same time.

For iwb comfort, it is hard to beat SG USA. I am very happy with their holsters. At the end, though, I have only one IWB holster in rotation, and it's a taco style holster I made from 80 mil kydex at home. It's simple and very easy to hook and unhook. And it's really not uncomfortable either. It beats Aliengear, that's for sure. All my other holsters are leather OWB or pocket holsters.
supposedly AG's shapeshift has a different type of neoprene than their other holsters. I've never owned one other than the one i just bought so i have nothing to compare it to but youtube videos say its a huge upgrade from their other backing materials.
NRA Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I have a coworker who really likes his ShapeShift. If they have a holster that fits your pistol and you like the retention (or lack thereof), it is probably worth it. For me, they don't offer a holster for my pistol and I want active retention, is it is not worth it. I'll stick with my Safariland 7TS ALS until something better comes long or my needs change.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”