Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Eye Pro over Prescription glasses?

Post by newTexan »

Hi guys,

Somehow when I wasn't looking I apparently got old enough to need glasses. Good news is that actually seeing the targets will probably help my accuracy. Bad news is that no way will my shooting glasses fit with my new Rx glasses. So, I'm looking for recommendations. What do other folks with Rx eyeglasses wear for eye pro?

Thanks!

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Eye Pro over Prescription glasses?

Post by Grundy1133 »

I have prescription safety glasses. they have the little side shields and everything. half the time tho i just use my regular glasses.
NRA Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I just need reading glasses to see close up. If I wear those, I can see the front sight, but the target is a complete blur. I do about as well with and without them. Still looking for a good compromise. Plus I like to "train like I'm going to fight", and I don't wear my reading glasses while walking around, so I usually just use standard eye pro when I shoot.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

When my prescription changed, I put my old glasses in my range bag and just use them. The difference in strength doesn't affect target shooting. But I used to wear eye protection over my glasses because they are so expensive to replace.
Ron
NRA Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rotor

Post by rotor »

I use the Allen glasses. Cheap and come in clear and tinted. I throw them away when they get scratched.

I can't find anything that my grandson can wear as he is only 12. You would think they would make something for kids to wear over glasses.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I like my NRA eye protection.
https://www.nrastore.com/gear/shooting- ... ng-glasses
My prescription glasses are too wide for several other sets of eye pro I have tried. NRA glasses fit well.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

equin

Post by equin »

I'm highly nearsighted and considered "legally blind" without corrective lenses. I usually wear contact lenses and wear eye pro over them. However, I invested in a pair of prescription inserts that fit inside dedicated eye pro from Smith Optics. They are the Aegis Arc Compact model. I ordered them online from RX-safety.com using info from my prescription. They cost about the same as a new pair of glasses. They work really well, but I haven't tried running and jumping with them on her to see If they inserts stay put. But they fit well and are of high quality. They also came with a clear shield and a dark sunglass shield. Replacing the shields is very easy, and you can buy other color replacement shields, like the amber and rose colored ones If you want.

If your prescription is low enough, you should be able to get away with a pair of wraparound prescription safety eye pro from known makers like Smith Optics, Oakley, etc. The wraparound eye pro are ideal since the lens itself is a prescription and shield in itself. But they don't work for high prescriptions like mine because the curvature of a wraparound lens distorts the view to that of what some call a "fish bowl effect." The higher the prescription, the worse it gets. Otherwise, you'll have to go with the smaller prescription inserts if your prescription is too high for the wraparound ones.

You could also try the oversized eye pro that fit over regular glasses. Aside from the bulky nature of that combo, their fit is not ideal when you wear ear pro muffs over them. But they would probably be a less expensive option than dedicated prescription eye pro.
Ed

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

You can also order these from MidwayUSA: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13335 ... ymer-black

I think they're exactly the same as the NRA glasses, but you get two pair (one clear, one tinted) for less that one pair of the NRA glasses.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by newTexan »

Thanks everyone. Some good suggestions there. I appreciate the help.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”