New to me ammo supplier

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

New to me ammo supplier

Post by ELB »

I recently had to urge to try out Winchester's Train and Defend line of ammo for my new Glock 19X - for the 9mm caliber, this is 147grain. If you are not familiar with this line of Winchester ammo, it is a match set of JHP self-defense and FMJ training ammo. The less-expensive training ammo is loaded to have the same ballistics and recoil as the self-defense ammo. Winchester offers one version of it in each of four calibers: .380ACP, 9mm, .40, and .45ACP.

I also like to buy in bulk, so I perused Gunbot.net looking for the best pricing, and ran across a supplier called Third Generation Shooting Supplies, or http://3rdgss.com/ on the 'net.

I watch pennies per round when buying ammo, and I found them to be noticeably less than other suppliers for this particular ammo. I also found that they charge a flat shipping rate of $9.95, regardless of the number of rounds. All the other suppliers I checked charged about $30+ or so for the same amount of ammo, and the shipping price goes up as the round count (weight) goes up.

I ordered yesterday (Tuesday) and got an email later in the day saying the shipment was prepped and ready for UPS, with expected delivery date of Thursday. (!) Checking UPS today, the shipment is intransit. (!) It's not here yet, so final eval of the supplier is not possible yet, but so far I am pleased. Usually you can only "pick two" of fast, cheap, and good, but I'm hoping I found a trifecta here.

If anyone cares for the numbers, I ordered 500 rounds of the Training ammo at 28 cents per round, 200 rounds of the Defense ammo at 98 cents per round, and total shipping for both was $9.95. That makes the cost per round $0.30 and $1.00 respectively.

3rdgss.com is the online storefront for Gene Sears Supply in El Reno, OK, and they sell more than just ammo. I don't know anything about them beyond that and what I wrote above.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Brown Santa... ;-)
Last edited by ELB on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New to me ammo supplier

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thanks for sharing. I always try to buy in bulk online and finding the best deal possible to offset the shipping. Haven't seen any reviews of either of those Winchester offerings so I guess I'll have to see what I can find online as well.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Thanks for the post. I'll be looking in to these folks.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ELB wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:36 am I recently had to urge to try out Winchester's Train and Defend line of ammo for my new Glock 19X - for the 9mm caliber, this is 147grain. If you are not familiar with this line of Winchester ammo, it is a match set of JHP self-defense and FMJ training ammo. The less-expensive training ammo is loaded to have the same ballistics and recoil as the self-defense ammo. Winchester offers one version of it in each of four calibers: .380ACP, 9mm, .40, and .45ACP.

I also like to buy in bulk, so I perused Gunbot.net looking for the best pricing, and ran across a supplier called Third Generation Shooting Supplies, or https://3rdgss.com/ on the 'net.

I watch pennies per round when buying ammo, and I found them to be noticeably less than other suppliers for this particular ammo. I also found that they charge a flat shipping rate of $9.95, regardless of the number of rounds. All the other suppliers I checked charged about $30+ or so for the same amount of ammo, and the shipping price goes up as the round count (weight) goes up.

I ordered yesterday (Tuesday) and got an email later in the day saying the shipment was prepped and ready for UPS, with expected delivery date of Thursday. (!) Checking UPS today, the shipment is intransit. (!) It's not here yet, so final eval of the supplier is not possible yet, but so far I am pleased. Usually you can only "pick two" of fast, cheap, and good, but I'm hoping I found a trifecta here.

If anyone cares for the numbers, I ordered 500 rounds of the Training ammo at 28 cents per round, 200 rounds of the Defense ammo at 98 cents per round, and total shipping for both was $9.95. That makes the cost per round $0.30 and $1.00 respectively.

3rdgss.com is the online storefront for Gene Sears Supply in El Reno, OK, and they sell more than just ammo. I don't know anything about them beyond that and what I wrote above.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Brown Santa... ;-)
Thanks, always looking for quality ammo at excellent pricing!

I had to use this link, the one above wouldn't open.
https://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

bblhd672 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I had to use this link, the one above wouldn't open.
https://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/
Thanks, corrected. I had to take the "s" out of "https", the short version should work now.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

UPS just dropped my ammo order on my desk. :chldancing
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”