Hearing damage +P

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 8

Hearing damage +P

Post by Lynyrd »

Has anyone in the forum shot +P rounds without hearing protection? If so, I would like to hear your comments on the effect of the sound on your hearing, and possible hearing damage. Let me explain.

I was leaving for work this morning when about 20 wild hogs crossed the driveway in front of me. The only gun in my truck was the one on my belt that was loaded with +P defense rounds. I jumped out of the truck and fired 5 rounds towards them striking two. I have fired a gun many, many times in my life while hunting without any hearing protection. But this time was different. I felt a sharp pain in my ears immediately with the gunshots. The rest of the day my hearing was significantly impaired.

Are +P rounds significantly much louder than off the shelf ball ammo? I have fired them many times but always with hearing protection. I fear the damage is permanent.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Hearing damage +P

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Sorry about this and posting to see what anyone has to say.

Maybe if 'silencers' weren't illegal/highly regulated, you wouldn't have had this problem... :/

Allons

Post by Allons »

Yes, they are much louder. I was at the range once with +p ammo loaded in my gun and fired off 2 quick shots without hearing protection, I can attest to it being much louder than any ball ammo or any hollow point that I ever fired. It hurt for awhile, I guess I got lucky because I only fired two rounds though.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 pm Has anyone in the forum shot +P rounds without hearing protection? If so, I would like to hear your comments on the effect of the sound on your hearing, and possible hearing damage. Let me explain.

I was leaving for work this morning when about 20 wild hogs crossed the driveway in front of me. The only gun in my truck was the one on my belt that was loaded with +P defense rounds. I jumped out of the truck and fired 5 rounds towards them striking two. I have fired a gun many, many times in my life while hunting without any hearing protection. But this time was different. I felt a sharp pain in my ears immediately with the gunshots. The rest of the day my hearing was significantly impaired.

Are +P rounds significantly much louder than off the shelf ball ammo? I have fired them many times but always with hearing protection. I fear the damage is permanent.
If you are worried, see your doctor. I've spent decades firing 155mm howitzers and M16A1. Mostly with hearing protection, but sometimes without. When I retired, the docs said my hearing was good for my age. I have lost a little high frequency and do have rining in both hears. I've fired as many as 40 rounds with my M16A1 with no hearing protection. It was not pleasant, but it was not painful. YMMV.
Last edited by oljames3 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Depends on the round... I'm assuming 9mm +P since most carry 9mm. Some are worse than others, but none are considered "safe" without protection. (except Calibre's and the like)

I never used to wear plugs rifle hunting and never noticed the shots... but a single round on the range with my 270 and it felt like a grenade exploded in my ear. :shock:

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

flechero wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:35 pm Depends on the round... I'm assuming 9mm +P since most carry 9mm. Some are worse than others, but none are considered "safe" without protection. (except Calibre's and the like)

I never used to wear plugs rifle hunting and never noticed the shots... but a single round on the range with my 270 and it felt like a grenade exploded in my ear. :shock:
Yes it was 9mm. I've fired hundreds of rounds with .270 and maybe 2,00 .556 without hearing protection. My hearing is of course not what it once was. But today was different. I think the sound echoed off the truck and the pain was noticeable.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:55 pm Sorry about this and posting to see what anyone has to say.

Maybe if 'silencers' weren't illegal/highly regulated, you wouldn't have had this problem... :/
One can only hope.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Allons wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:06 pm Yes, they are much louder. I was at the range once with +p ammo loaded in my gun and fired off 2 quick shots without hearing protection, I can attest to it being much louder than any ball ammo or any hollow point that I ever fired. It hurt for awhile, I guess I got lucky because I only fired two rounds though.
Thanks for that info. I have to be more careful.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:48 pm
Allons wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:06 pm Yes, they are much louder. I was at the range once with +p ammo loaded in my gun and fired off 2 quick shots without hearing protection, I can attest to it being much louder than any ball ammo or any hollow point that I ever fired. It hurt for awhile, I guess I got lucky because I only fired two rounds though.
Thanks for that info. I have to be more careful.
Yeah me too, that was the last time I used +p ammo. I still have half the box from the range in my nightstand.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I have shot + P multiple times with multiple calibers including 9mm. Yes it’s louder but it didn’t hurt my ears. I guess my hearing is already damaged from working on machines and shooting shotguns my whole life with out ears. I wear ears now but I fear the damage is done.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

There is also the specifics of where you were standing.

If you were immediately next to something that would throw the sound back (like your truck), that is way different than an open range where the sound can escape

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

There are lots of variables that can affect the sound pressure at your ears. +P means that the round is loaded to a higher chamber pressure, for increased muzzle velocity. This increased chamber pressure ends up creating a more pronounced level of sound pressure, all else being equal, than standard pressure rounds. Additionally, shorter barrels (like in many carry guns) mean greater flash and report than longer barrels due to propellant continuing to burn and create pressure closer to, or beyond, the muzzle. Though the OPs is not one, revolvers also have the barrel-cylinder gap that gasses escape from. Ported barrels or compensators also strip high-pressure gasses off the barrel. All this is just related to the cartridge and gun.

Beyond the gun, there are environmental factors that can either boost or help attenuate the sound pressure to your ears. The OP mentioned proximity to his truck, which is something that would reflect the sound rather than letting it continue. The type of surfaces around you -- concrete versus dirt, walls versus trees, etc... also play a part.

Hopefully this incident will not leave the OP with lasting damage.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

OK, what happened to the pigs?

Harvest or let lay there while you continued on your ear ache way?

omegaman

Post by omegaman »

ehhh? What'd he say?

flechero

Post by flechero »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 pm But today was different. I think the sound echoed off the truck and the pain was noticeable.
I made the mistake of firing a .357 (with full power SD ammo) from inside my truck once... just once. :shock: My ears rang for weeks!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”