Micro pistol finally wins me over

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
txhighlander
Posts in topic: 5

Micro pistol finally wins me over

Post by txhighlander »

I have never been to keen with micro pistols, full size always have been more to my liking. Even back in the day when I owned a few j frames their big brothers and sisters won out on the carry rotation. When I ride my Harley the thought of a carry weapon a little bit smaller has caught my interest for a while but with carpal tunnel in both my wrists from 24 years on a over the road truck , it has kept me away from the smaller carry pieces.

The other day a friend who is buying a house wanted to sell a few to help with a pad for the down payment. One of the ones was a P 938. My wife had a P238 for a while and I shot it ok but the recoil was a little sharp on my wrists so I never took a chance on the bigger brother. So took a chance I did and just got back from the range all that can be said is this should have happened years ago. I loved it. It was flawless in performance and shot well with all I fed it except the personal defense Hornady rounds. They printed a larger group but still combat accurate. Now I have to buy extra mags and a holster. It has the rubber grips on it so that might taken a little sting out of it. I would post pictures but I can’t seam to get that done on here for some reason, computers not being my thing. Finally a micro has won me over, hoping it’s the last one my bank account doesn’t seam to stretch as far as it used to
Truth against the world

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Micro pistol finally wins me over

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm I have never been to keen with micro pistols, full size always have been more to my liking. Even back in the day when I owned a few j frames their big brothers and sisters won out on the carry rotation. When I ride my Harley the thought of a carry weapon a little bit smaller has caught my interest for a while but with carpal tunnel in both my wrists from 24 years on a over the road truck , it has kept me away from the smaller carry pieces.

The other day a friend who is buying a house wanted to sell a few to help with a pad for the down payment. One of the ones was a P 938. My wife had a P238 for a while and I shot it ok but the recoil was a little sharp on my wrists so I never took a chance on the bigger brother. So took a chance I did and just got back from the range all that can be said is this should have happened years ago. I loved it. It was flawless in performance and shot well with all I fed it except the personal defense Hornady rounds. They printed a larger group but still combat accurate. Now I have to buy extra mags and a holster. It has the rubber grips on it so that might taken a little sting out of it. I would post pictures but I can’t seam to get that done on here for some reason, computers not being my thing. Finally a micro has won me over, hoping it’s the last one my bank account doesn’t seam to stretch as far as it used to
I have experienced the same when riding my Harley. I believe in carrying on my body and it was just too much trouble between the wind exposing my weapon and the concerns over it falling out of my holster. I pocket carry and the smaller handguns work best for me in this scenario.

What Harley you have? I ride a 2013 Road King. It is funny, my pickup truck of the same year has half the miles of my Harley. I love riding.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

I carry a J Frame a lot. I do own a Glock 43 and from time to time carry it. My Sig P365 finally showed up yesterday at the dealers which is not local. I put it on order around March I think. It will be at my FFL I hope sometime this week. If it proves to be a reliable pistol (hopefully since I waited so long it has the bugs worked out) I see myself carrying it more than any other. I carry a full size pistol on Sunday’s and Wednesday’s. Now I will sell my S&W M36 no dash to help pay if the CC.

Topic author
txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm
txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm I have never been to keen with micro pistols, full size always have been more to my liking. Even back in the day when I owned a few j frames their big brothers and sisters won out on the carry rotation. When I ride my Harley the thought of a carry weapon a little bit smaller has caught my interest for a while but with carpal tunnel in both my wrists from 24 years on a over the road truck , it has kept me away from the smaller carry pieces.

I have experienced the same when riding my Harley. I believe in carrying on my body and it was just too much trouble between the wind exposing my weapon and the concerns over it falling out of my holster. I pocket carry and the smaller handguns work best for me in this scenario.

What Harley you have? I ride a 2013 Road King. It is funny, my pickup truck of the same year has half the miles of my Harley. I love riding.
Interesting, I have a 2013 street glide and yes I love riding as well.
Truth against the world

Allons

Post by Allons »

A friend of mine has the Kel-tec p-11, I have fired it a couple of times at the range. I was thinking about getting one, its very nice and small and holds 10+1 and for 230 dollars I don't think you can beat it. I know he has fired over 3000 rounds with no issues. Nice gun for shorts.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm The other day a friend who is buying a house wanted to sell a few to help with a pad for the down payment. One of the ones was a P 938.
Nice score. Great gun.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Scott B. wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:08 pm
txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm The other day a friend who is buying a house wanted to sell a few to help with a pad for the down payment. One of the ones was a P 938.
Nice score. Great gun.
It was priced right that it just couldn’t be ignored. If I had not liked it easy to get my investment back. Not I get to spend more money. :woohoo
Truth against the world

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Welcome to the club of tiny nines. Mine is a G43, but have owned/carried a Kahr PM9 before. I prefer the Glock. I like 1911s, although I rarely ever carry mine anymore, but when I do, I carry it cocked and locked. But I would not be personally comfortable with a cocked and locked 938 in my pocket. On a belt holster of some kind, yes. Just not for pocket carry - regardless of what brand of pocket holster used.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Allons wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 pm A friend of mine has the Kel-tec p-11, I have fired it a couple of times at the range. I was thinking about getting one, its very nice and small and holds 10+1 and for 230 dollars I don't think you can beat it. I know he has fired over 3000 rounds with no issues. Nice gun for shorts.
There's a 12 round mag available for the P-11, I have a couple

IMHO p11 and sub2k/sub2000 are the best designs he's made. George Kellgren did better with the P11 (doesn't hurt my thumb knuckle) than the PF9 and P10 that have a sharper corner at the thumb tang that bite my thumb knuckle.

I bought a used Kel-tec p-11 from a detective, almost identical size as my Glock 26s, .. (I carry my Glock 26s daily with Glock 17 and Glock 15 mags with +3 base plates) but as far as price in that size/capacity... P-11 is great, and it's accurate and mine has been reliable and has not rusted (like my old Grendel 11 round .380 he designed did)
In the 1980s I collected "the smallest pistol with the highest capacity in every caliber", but sold that collection.

Anyway:
P11 good
P10 bad

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

I inherited my 938 from my wife when she moved to a revolver. It is the only 9mm I own.

Surprisingly it also fits in my smaller 1911 holsters very well. I don’t pocket carry it but carry IWB as I do all of my EDC when on my Harley.
BTW, mine is an 04 Ultra Classic with 152k on it
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

RPBrown wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:15 am I inherited my 938 from my wife when she moved to a revolver. It is the only 9mm I own.

Surprisingly it also fits in my smaller 1911 holsters very well. I don’t pocket carry it but carry IWB as I do all of my EDC when on my Harley.
BTW, mine is an 04 Ultra Classic with 152k on it
I don’t think I will carry in the pocket as well. Just order a DeSantis thumb break for it. I am not a IWB fan so it’s thumb break OWB for me.

My first Harley was a 04 Ultra Classic , had some work done on it and it developed electrical problems with what was done. I had it fixed but never really trusted it again. Sold it about 3 months ago and bought the street glide. All the upgrades I have done with the exception of upgrading the speakers were plug and play. I went all led’s except the tri bar and that one will be upgraded when the company gets it done.
Truth against the world

Topic author
txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:01 pm I carry a J Frame a lot. I do own a Glock 43 and from time to time carry it. My Sig P365 finally showed up yesterday at the dealers which is not local. I put it on order around March I think. It will be at my FFL I hope sometime this week. If it proves to be a reliable pistol (hopefully since I waited so long it has the bugs worked out) I see myself carrying it more than any other. I carry a full size pistol on Sunday’s and Wednesday’s. Now I will sell my S&W M36 no dash to help pay if the CC.
Hope it meets your expectations, hate you have to sell the 36 since I am out of money. Keep us informed on how it does.
Truth against the world

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

My wife appendix carries a Sig P238 Equinox and it's a fun little gun to shoot. My EDC is a Sig P239 in Sig 357 ammo but as I age, it's getting heavier and heavier on my waist :roll: . Been thinking for some time about downsizing to a much smaller gun, and I love Sigs. Hate to give up my Sig 357 caliber though.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

txhighlander wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm Interesting, I have a 2013 street glide and yes I love riding as well.
Nice ride!! :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”