Great Ruger customer service

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Great Ruger customer service

Post by K.Mooneyham »

So, I recently purchased a Ruger PC Carbine, 9mm. The stock is made of composite, a "glass filled nylon", IIRC. The main stock is molded as one piece, and thus the grip is hollow. That hollow is covered at the bottom by an oval cover with the Ruger logo on it. However, when I shot it the first time, the end cap just fell off. Didn't seem to be anything attaching it, and I could have just glued it, but decided to contact Ruger since it was brand new. I used their on-line contact form on the website, and told them what happened. I also stated I didn't want to send it back because it didn't affect function at all, and just asked them the best way to reattach it. A couple of days later I get a notice saying something was being shipped to me. Well, it came in today, and turned out to be an entire buttstock assembly, to include a new magwell (which can be changed out to accept different types of mags). That to me is some really good customer service, and why I have almost no hesitation buy new Ruger products. Even if they have no official warranty, they sure seem to stand by their stuff.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Great Ruger customer service

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Very nice! How did you like the carbine to shoot it? I’m going to be looking for one at the Ft Worth gun show tomorrow.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Yeah, I enjoyed shooting it. Despite the takedown feature, it seemed pretty accurate, at least better than I am. (No pics, sorry.) I've only fired it the one time so far, hopefully tomorrow I'll put some more through it. I shot 232 rounds that first time, split between 115 grain Blazer brass FMJ, 115 grain Federal Champion aluminum case FMJ, 124 grain Remington FMJ +P, and a handful of Winchester 147 grain hollowpoints that I've had for several years. Fed all of it without issue using Ruger SR-series 17-round magazines, no failures to fire or extract. Comes with three Allen wrenches to help disassemble it, not too difficult to do. Being takedown makes barrel cleaning easy. Comes with three buttstock spacers to adjust length of pull. The magazine release can be reversed, as can the reciprocating charging handle. I reversed both of them so my strong hand (right) can stay in place and I can use my weak hand to drop/insert magazines, and work the charging handle. It's a slick little carbine, though it won't win any beauty contests, ha ha. It also comes with a mag well for Glock magazines. Top of receiver is picatinny rail, not sure if the takedown affects POI if optics are mounted, as I only used the open sights mounted on the barrel. Got it at the LGS for $530 OTD.

Lena

Post by Lena »

We shot one a lot last month, steel, aluminum & brass cased factory and military nato, all 100% very accurate with red dot, going to try with a good scope next week just to see how well it does shoot, very impressed with it, get one!
Stay Safe

jonmo1

Post by jonmo1 »

I also had a great experience with Ruger customer service. Through my own fault I lost a tiny pin retainer clip during a cleaning of my new 9E (disassembling further than actually required). Even though it was my own fault AND it’s a discontinued model, they shipped a replacement part in no time at all. Free of charge, no questions asked. I would have been happy even if they did charge me for it. I definitely would not hesitate to buy or recommend another Ruger product again.

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

Likewise, I have had excellent customer service from Ruger. Purchased a new 10-22 with fiber optic sights. I did not notice on my transfer inspection the from sight was broken. After realizing it at home and as I recall, I emailed Ruger, explaining it was my oversight, to ask what the cost was for a replacement. They didn't direct me back to the store, they mailed me a new front sight free of charge.

Edit to dd: I can't say I have had a bad CS experience yet, with any firearm mfg. I have had to contact Ruger, Bond, S&W, and Sig. All have taken care of me without charge and paying shipping when necessary.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

The Ruger CS in my experience was only fair.

Notice how much quality control of their products isn't...

I've already discussed my own gun failure particulars here, so I won't go into it, but after my failure, I started researching and sadly Ruger's QC is pretty awful at this point. Story after story of gun failures.

Oh sure, you can send it in and they'll fix it.

Great, but how about not having to send it in, in the first place?

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Abraham wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 am The Ruger CS in my experience was only fair.

Notice how much quality control of their products isn't...

I've already discussed my own gun failure particulars here, so I won't go into it, but after my failure, I started researching and sadly Ruger's QC is pretty awful at this point. Story after story of gun failures.

Oh sure, you can send it in and they'll fix it.

Great, but how about not having to send it in, in the first place?
I'm happy for those that can afford brands like Sig, but I am not among those folk. I hesitate to say an exact number of firearms I own, but I count several Rugers among them, and I've had good service overall from all of them.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

K.Mooneyham,

I have Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum I'll never sell.

It functions flawlessly.

It's built like a tank.

It's quality is superb.

In my eyes all of the above, plus it's a Stainless Steel beauty.

It was also manufactured approximately 20 years or so ago.

The newer Ruger stuff is definitely not in the same league.

Most especially their semi-auto pistols.

Yeah, they're being sold for lower dollars...for good reason.

Not a slight at you, just my experience.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

jonmo1:
I was not aware that the Ruger 9E is a discontinued model. It seemed like it was almost
a clone of the SR9 full size, but at an economy price.

It seems that the current model Security 9 is about the same thing as the 9E.....a good sized gun
in 9MM, that is 17 + 1 rounds, and at a bargain price. It is a better looking pistol
the way Ruger redesigned the grip.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Abraham: I hope you don't believe Ruger singled you out for a bad experience. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”