Need a new Ankle holster for my p238

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Need a new Ankle holster for my p238

Post by TexasTornado »

Long story short, I had an ankle holster I LOVED...and it got left in my dad's truck when he sold it. So, I need a replacement.

I like the Galco ankle lite, but they don't make one for the p238 (although there is one for the 938 that MIGHT work).

I really like having a non velcro retention strap and I like the wool on the inside.

I don't want one with a calf strap, one that has a support stick that goes into your shoe, or one that's made of kydex.

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions, insights, and links.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need a new Ankle holster for my p238

Post by cmgee67 »

I’m not a fan of ankle holsters and I’m not an expert in any imagination. I will give you my reasons but keep in mind they are my opinions and should be taken as such.

The main reason is if I need a “tool” right then and right now bending over pulling up my pants undoing a retention strap and finally pulling the “tool” will simply take too long. Think of the tueller drill or the 21 foot drill. This drill says that an attacker can cover 21 feet in roughly 1.5 seconds. I have practiced this drill from concealment at 3:00 iwb strongside and it was very difficult to draw and “click” before my partner got me with their hand. This also brings up the carrying loaded vs non loaded but that’s a whole other can of worms. If I can barely get to my “tool” in that amount of time knowing something was coming. How can I reasonably get to it on my ankle when I am surprised. I so realize ankle carry can be a decent idea if it’s a back up firearm and for that I say okay. The other reason I don it like it is if you wear flip flops or sandals then dirt has more of a chance of constantly coming up and covering the “tool” a little more easily. And thirdly, I just don’t like the idea.

I also realize that ankle carry may be the only possible way for somebody to carry be it from health reasons or others. That’s fine. I would rather them carry that way than not at all.

Yes I understand the use of the word tool is odd but....

Freedom of speech. :txflag:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

What's the best holster for a P238? They were brand new when I got one and no one really made holsters for them. So I got a pocket holster. Its a terrible way to holster a gun as the holster comes with the gun when you try and retrieve it.

Anyone with experience that could recommend a good holster.

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasTornado »

Thanks for the opinions. I don't usually ankle carry, but there are some events/outfits where it's prudent to do so either as primary or as back up. While it may not be the best option, it beats the hell out of carrying in a bag/purse that may be taken.

That being said, I could still use help finding one.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I haven't looked in a while but holsters specifically designed for a P238 are a bit hard to find but any holster in that .380 size should work okay. My wife appendix carries a P238 in a "Betty" holster, maybe you could modify that for your requirements.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Ankle holsters work great for back up and for those that are like in the medical field and wear scrubs. As a back up if you are down on the ground fighting for your life the ankle would be a great go too.

Now with that said I haven’t seen my ankles in about 10 years. :anamatedbanana

PitBoss

Post by PitBoss »

I've thought about Bugbite holster as a BUG...

https://www.bugbiteholsters.com/product ... 6882640134

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 pm I’m not a fan of ankle holsters and I’m not an expert in any imagination. I will give you my reasons but keep in mind they are my opinions and should be taken as such.

The main reason is if I need a “tool” right then and right now bending over pulling up my pants undoing a retention strap and finally pulling the “tool” will simply take too long. Think of the tueller drill or the 21 foot drill. This drill says that an attacker can cover 21 feet in roughly 1.5 seconds. I have practiced this drill from concealment at 3:00 iwb strongside and it was very difficult to draw and “click” before my partner got me with their hand. This also brings up the carrying loaded vs non loaded but that’s a whole other can of worms. If I can barely get to my “tool” in that amount of time knowing something was coming. How can I reasonably get to it on my ankle when I am surprised. I so realize ankle carry can be a decent idea if it’s a back up firearm and for that I say okay. The other reason I don it like it is if you wear flip flops or sandals then dirt has more of a chance of constantly coming up and covering the “tool” a little more easily. And thirdly, I just don’t like the idea.

I also realize that ankle carry may be the only possible way for somebody to carry be it from health reasons or others. That’s fine. I would rather them carry that way than not at all.

Yes I understand the use of the word tool is odd but....

Freedom of speech. :txflag:
:iagree:

But an ankle holster is great for a BUG. It can be easier to draw inconspicuously while seated, say at a restaurant, or in your vehicle. Both places where you might find yourself in need of a gun. Your ankle is also in a great draw location if you are ever knocked onto your back. I carry a J frame in my ankle holster. And like my other guns, I pray to never need it.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Alien Gear shows an ankle holster for the P238...

http://aliengearholsters.com/sig-p238-a ... lster.html

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”