Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

"Beware the emphatic holster" - hsoi

Post by oljames3 »

https://blog.hsoi.com/2018/06/27/beware ... c-holster/
I see it more often than I care to. People emphatically slam their guns back into the holster. They were upset about their performance on that drill. They were really happy about their performance on that drill. They were in a hurry. It really doesn’t matter why nor what, but they just slam that gun back into the holster.

It’s a recipe for disaster.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "Beware the emphatic holster" - hsoi

Post by Bitter Clinger »

:iagree:

"Decock, place on safe, SLOWLY, safely, re-holster"...that is how I was taught....
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Good Article,

I've explained my firearm and holster selection in the past for this very reason. And of course have received some snarky replies about it which is why I just don't comment to much anymore. But.. Here goes..

My normal everyday carry is a Ruger LC9s in an Alien Gear holster. I carry with one in pipe and safety OFF... However. Before holstering I engage the safety. and once secured I then disengage it. I have a small advantage in that I am left handed so the safety lever is on my outside and doesn't rub up agains my holster so the chance of accidentally engaging it is quite slim... My Alien gear holster has a double sided solid plastic trigger guard which in my personal opinion is the safest holster I could find... (Again, my personal opinion and preference)..

It's a silly thing, but I have trained myself to say the word "Backfire" when I holster, reason is that I have to push the safety back to make the gun ready to fire.. Silly I know, but it works for me and I don't forget to disengage when holstering....

I've seen argument after argument on safety on, safety off, chambered, not chambered, 380 vs 9 vs 45 vs 22 vs whatever caliber you like...

I guess in the end, we all have our own personal equipment, safety and operational preferences. As long as the work for us that's all that matters.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

As long as this unsafe re-holstering practice continues, I hope when the inevitable happens, the bullet merely enters the ground (not ricocheting concrete) below or themselves and definitely not some innocent bystander....

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Shooting IDPA is good training for this. It is pretty easy to sweep your foot or leg, or break 180, while holstering, and get a DQ. So you learn pretty quickly to take your time, go slow, and be hyper aware of the exact direction that the muzzle is pointed at all times.

My EDC is a 1911 with a thumb safety, so not much chance of an AD while holstering for that gun.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I have had instructors comment to the class, "there is no prize for the person who re-holsters fastest" or "no gunfight has ever been won by the person who re-holsters fastest". I have and will continue to say such things in classes I teach or attend. If you need to in-holster your sidearm, speed is certainly a factor and may very well win the day. On the other hand, if a gun is drawn (presumably for a good reason) there should be no hurry to re-holster it. The follow-on comments from instructors are usually pretty much as stated in this blog, and the term we often hear and use is "reluctantly re-holster". Remember that in classes, practice and competition we are building habits -- and the habits we build should be good ones.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:08 am :iagree:

"Decock, place on safe, SLOWLY, safely, re-holster"...that is how I was taught....
Decocking a loaded 1911 is an invitation to disaster.

That aside, I was taught to reholster reluctantly.
Last edited by BBYC on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I want to know how you decock and place your glock on safe. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flechero

Post by flechero »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Same way he disassembles it- by removing the mag and pulling the trigger!! "rlol"

It's been spoken, written, yelled and taught:

RELUCTANTLY and deliberately holster your weapon, always, as if you aren't sure that you are finished with it.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm

I take my finger off the trigger. Once the threat has been proven to have been neutralized.

Decockers and thumb safeties are last centuries technology, suitable for collecting and display. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”