My 1911 is in the stable!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

Post by Liberty »

flechero wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:23 am
C-dub wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am I might be mistaken, but I thought another big reason folks liked the decocker was because they didn’t have to pull the trigger, like on Glocks, to disassemble the gun. That seems to bother some folks.
The 1911 doesn't require a trigger pull to take down... not sure which ones do besides glock.
Nor does any hammer fired gun. The trigger pull thing is a striker fired characteristic. All my hammer fired non 1911s can be disassembled while the hammer is cocked or uncocked.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txhighlander »

flowrie wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am Keep us posted.
I really like my Sr1911 and also like my VM2.

One thing I did add to my SR1911 was this Fast safety system.
You can carry with hammer down, round chambered, flick the safety off which recocks the hammer.
Have this on my 1911 and Browning HP.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/141-series-70
If I am remembering correctly I played with an older version years ago that I thought was neat but to costly to do unless you were already doing work. After you chambered a round and engaged the safety you could push the hammer forward. Then when you engaged the safety to fire it would cock the hammer for you. Is this what you are talking about? I played with it on a high power, I don’t think it was made for 1911’s at that time but I might be mistaken.
Truth against the world

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 6

Post by cmgee67 »

No external work yet! I did order a Wilson combat flat wire recoil spring kit with new guide rod and some shock buffs. I’m lookin to add this as a carry gun rotation so I’m gonna do everything I can to make it Uber reliable. Gonna be breaking it in and training with it over the next month or two before I carry it and practice carrying it around the house.

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dlh »

"Saying goes" gunsmiths love the 1911--a gravy train for them to fix or upgrade everything about them.

I have a Springfield G.I. 1911 and it is fun to shoot--except when it fails to eject. Probably an extractor issue--not sure. I guess I could take it to a gunsmith...oh....wait....

Never had a malfunction of any kind with my Glock 26 or my Glock 30 SF.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have the Kimber Raptor in five inch and 4 inch and love them both. They are too sweet to risk as carry weapons. :mrgreen: But seriously, I am absolutely my best at accuracy with them both. Personally, I feel the 1911 platform can't be bettered. :tiphat:

03Lightningrocks

1911 Raptor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:38 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 pm I have the Kimber Raptor in five inch and 4 inch and love them both. They are too sweet to risk as carry weapons. :mrgreen: But seriously, I am absolutely my best at accuracy with them both. Personally, I feel the 1911 platform can't be bettered. :tiphat:
I agree!

I have the Kimber Ulra Raptor II and I do carry mine cocked and locked. I see this as a solution for a problem that does not exist and adds an additional mechanism that could potentially fail. 1911’s are safe to carry cocked and locked, it was the way they were designed.
And I agree with that! :iagree: :tiphat:

flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flowrie »

txhighlander wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 am
flowrie wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am Keep us posted.
I really like my Sr1911 and also like my VM2.

One thing I did add to my SR1911 was this Fast safety system.
You can carry with hammer down, round chambered, flick the safety off which recocks the hammer.
Have this on my 1911 and Browning HP.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/141-series-70
If I am remembering correctly I played with an older version years ago that I thought was neat but to costly to do unless you were already doing work. After you chambered a round and engaged the safety you could push the hammer forward. Then when you engaged the safety to fire it would cock the hammer for you. Is this what you are talking about? I played with it on a high power, I don’t think it was made for 1911’s at that time but I might be mistaken.
The SFS is available for 70 and 80 series 1911’s, and BHPs.
I like it because the hammer does not tend to catch on clothing as easily when the hammer is down and there is a bar that blocks the hammer from contacting the firing pin.
With the SFS, when the hammer is down, there is a blocking bar ( that’s what I call it) that does not allow the hammer to contact the firing pin. When you chamber a round, you simply push the hammer forward, the bar moves into position and the safety also moves into position. Move the safety down and the hammer is cocked.

If the safety is off ( which cocks the hammer ) and you drop your 1911, if the hammer hits the ground then the bar moves into place to prevent a discharge. The only time the bar is not blocking the hammer is when the trigger is pulled.

Kinda reminds me of the transfer bar on Ruger revolvers, but operates the opposite manner. Instead of transferring energy it blocks the energy.

I understand some folks don’t like any changes and it’s not for everyone, I am also having to train myself with the difference, but I do like it, I feel better with it, so I have more confidence with it. I have run about 500 rounds thru it with the SFS, no issues.

I own no interest in BH Spring Solutions, they do have good products. They have always treated me very well.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 6

Post by cmgee67 »

That’s an interesting product. I feel perfectly safe tho cocked and locked with my series 70.... I feel safer than when carrying a Glock and I feel fine with those.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I actually only own 1911’s as far as handguns go, and I carry my commander size ruger all the time. I have only had one malfunction out of hundreds of rounds of all makes and types. It was with fiochi 230gr ball amo, and I had a no feed. I had complete ejection and the next round was never grabbed. I believe that to be an underpowered round issue as it has never happened before and never happened again. As for carrying, John Browning designed it to be carried cocked and locked, and I believe it is safest cocked and locked. Pulling the hammer back/ manually racking the slide to load a round have resulted in far more nd’s.

03Lightningrocks

The combination of the grip safety being pushed and the manual safety being off is plenty of comfort for me. Maybe it has happened but I have not read any stories of a 1911 just going off on its own. I think there is more risk in pocket carrying a ruger lcp and that worries me not as long as I have it in a pocket holster. Same for my S&W snubby with tuned trigger. These firearms are pretty much designed to be safe when used as directed, I never believed they were "FOOL proof"... haha. :mrgreen:

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Now add these to your Ruger or any other 1911 and you can thank me later. Use these on all my 1911 pistols. http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/search/Ruger/1911

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

flechero wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:23 am
C-dub wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am I might be mistaken, but I thought another big reason folks liked the decocker was because they didn’t have to pull the trigger, like on Glocks, to disassemble the gun. That seems to bother some folks.
The 1911 doesn't require a trigger pull to take down... not sure which ones do besides glock.
<< CAVEAT >> Best practice is to follow the manufacturer's instructions for all operations of your pistol.
There are probably several pistols that require or allow one to pull the trigger as part of disassembly.
The Walther PPS M2 manual, after covering safely clearing the pistol, in step 5.1.1 says "Point the pistol in a safe direction. Squeeze the trigger fully to the rear."
The S&W M&P M2.0 has an integral tool that, after covering safely clearing the pistol, the owner's manual says to use to move the sear activation lever to the disassembly position. Alternatively, one can pull the trigger to release the slide.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

Nice I have 2 of them both commander and 5"
Never had a problem with either. Easy to work on also congrats
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KinnyLee »

Congrats! Been carrying 1911 with a VM2 for years. It's uber comfy.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”