My 1911 is in the stable!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 6

My 1911 is in the stable!

Post by cmgee67 »

I went with the Ruger. My last one never worked right but instead of sending it to Ruger and getting them to fix it I was foolish and let it go. I took it strait to my gun smith and he is doing some polishing and tuning to it. Whenever I get her back I will go put a good 500 rounds and some defensive rounds through it to break it in and insure it’s reliable. Boy do I have some training to do with that gun. I am having to learn the manual safety. I’ve grown up on revolvers and Glocks so I’m at a bit of a learning curve. But I’m excited. I have some elk antler grips and a milt sparks VM2 coming. All should be in this week. Here is a picture of the gun stock. I will post one later this week on how she ran and what she looks like with the new grips.
Attachments
6479A089-3AAC-4FF0-B195-EF9D9444E139.jpeg

flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

Post by flowrie »

Keep us posted.
I really like my Sr1911 and also like my VM2.

One thing I did add to my SR1911 was this Fast safety system.
You can carry with hammer down, round chambered, flick the safety off which recocks the hammer.
Have this on my 1911 and Browning HP.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/141-series-70
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

flowrie wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am Keep us posted.

You can carry with hammer down, round chambered, flick the safety off which recocks the hammer.

What is the advantage of decocking a 1911?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

flowrie wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am Keep us posted.

I looked into Cylinder and Slide’s method of accomplishing this. I came to the conclusion that I didn’t want to add a mechanical step which could fail in a SD weapon. I don't understand that fear of carrying a 1911 in condition 1.

flechero
Posts in topic: 7

Post by flechero »

Congrats on the new 1911 :thewave :fire :fire :fire :fire
Liberty wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am What is the advantage of decocking a 1911?
Mechanically, if the sear or sear pin broke, it would prevent the gun from firing. There is one other another safety that prevents discharge if sear failure (called the Fallarrest) but it works by blocking blocking the hammer's movement, not by decocking.

I have seen the Fast Safety before -the owner noted he wasn't completely comfortable carrying cocked and locked and this solved his concern.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

flechero wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:57 am Congrats on the new 1911 :thewave :fire :fire :fire :fire
Liberty wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am What is the advantage of decocking a 1911?
Mechanically, if the sear or sear pin broke, it would prevent the gun from firing. There is one other another safety that prevents discharge if sear failure (called the Fallarrest) but it works by blocking blocking the hammer's movement, not by decocking.

I have seen the Fast Safety before -the owner noted he wasn't completely comfortable carrying cocked and locked and this solved his concern.
These are made for a model 70. Does a model 70 have 'fall arrest'?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flechero

Post by flechero »

No, a Fallarest is a fairly new aftermarket design and doesn't come on any factory guns. I believe its only available from Ned Christiansen.

ETA this link I found, where Ned explains it:
https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/wha ... -on.33220/

flechero

Post by flechero »

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:25 am I went with the Ruger. My last one never worked right but instead of sending it to Ruger and getting them to fix it I was foolish and let it go. I took it strait to my gun smith and he is doing some polishing and tuning to it. Whenever I get her back I will go put a good 500 rounds and some defensive rounds through it to break it in and insure it’s reliable. Boy do I have some training to do with that gun. I am having to learn the manual safety. I’ve grown up on revolvers and Glocks so I’m at a bit of a learning curve. But I’m excited. I have some elk antler grips and a milt sparks VM2 coming. All should be in this week. Here is a picture of the gun stock. I will post one later this week on how she ran and what she looks like with the new grips.
Take a class or two with it and you'll be surprised at how quickly you get used to the safety. (and a better trigger!!) It's just new- repetition will cement the safety it in your brain/hand!

Any external work being done? (checkering the front strap maybe?)

Again, congrats!!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am not sure one would want to carry in decocked mode with a 1911 model handgun. This would then require one first cock the trigger and second release the safety before being able to fire the weapon. In the moment of adrenaline it seems the chance is good one might fire a round before one intended to. That extra step could also be the difference in being shot before one got off a round.

Doesn't using a weapon successfully in self defense require a certain amount of trained motor skills? It is one reason I shoot my carry weapon far more than I do my other weapons.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Liberty wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am

What is the advantage of decocking a 1911?
Increasing the chance of adding an extra hole in the floor or wall?
Psalm 91:2

flechero

Post by flechero »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:07 am I am not sure one would want to carry in decocked mode with a 1911 model handgun. This would then require one first cock the trigger and second release the safety before being able to fire the weapon. In the moment of adrenaline it seems the chance is good one might fire a round before one intended to. That extra step could also be the difference in being shot before one got off a round.

Doesn't using a weapon successfully in self defense require a certain amount of trained motor skills? It is one reason I shoot my carry weapon far more than I do my other weapons.
For the record- I'm not an advocate or user of either of the aftermarket options... I carry my 1911 in the traditional C1 mode.

The safety referenced earlier, doesn't change the user's protocol to fire the gun... the safety lever actually returns the hammer to the full cocked position when the lever is swiped as you would normally disengage. The difference is a quick extra step to lower the hammer. (which isn't a true decock as the spring tension isn't relieved.)

He says it was designed to alleviate concerns of those who don't like the cocked hammer.

skip to or start at 12:30 to see the demo... (the first 12 min if installing it)

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I might be mistaken, but I thought another big reason folks liked the decocker was because they didn’t have to pull the trigger, like on Glocks, to disassemble the gun. That seems to bother some folks.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

flechero

Post by flechero »

C-dub wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am I might be mistaken, but I thought another big reason folks liked the decocker was because they didn’t have to pull the trigger, like on Glocks, to disassemble the gun. That seems to bother some folks.
The 1911 doesn't require a trigger pull to take down... not sure which ones do besides glock.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”