S&W M&P 380 EZ QUESTION

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 2

S&W M&P 380 EZ QUESTION

Post by Pete92FS »

Oldgringo - I noticed you said in your World Cup post you had a S&W M&P 380 EZ. There was an article in one of the latest Guns & Ammo magazines about this pistol. One of the things mentioned was that it was supposed to be easier to rack than your normal semi-auto pistol. Made me think about my wife who has weak hands and can't rack a semi-auto. Is it that much easier to rack? Has anyone else had any experience with one of these?
CHL since 01/26/09

BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: S&W M&P 380 EZ QUESTION

Post by BCGlocker »

I bought one as a rental gun for beginner shooters. One of the reason for purchase this particular gun was it was very easy to rack the slide. One can easily rack the slide with one finger position on the front edge of the front sight. it is easy to shoot and recoil is soft. Good pistol for a novice.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Pete92FS wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:01 pm Oldgringo - I noticed you said in your World Cup post you had a S&W M&P 380 EZ. There was an article in one of the latest Guns & Ammo magazines about this pistol. One of the things mentioned was that it was supposed to be easier to rack than your normal semi-auto pistol. Made me think about my wife who has weak hands and can't rack a semi-auto. Is it that much easier to rack? Has anyone else had any experience with one of these?
I haven't shot one, but I have handled one at my LGS and they are indeed EZ to rack. I wish they'd come out with that model earlier. My wife tried about every locked breech .380 made and settled on a Glock 42. If this pistol had been available then I feel certain she'd have chosen it over the Glock.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

Pete, Very easy to rack. I work in a gun store and I've seen at least 50 people handle the 380 EZ and every one of them is surprised at how easy the slide is to work. Also, comes apart easy and you can see the internal hammer. We've sold several to women for that reason.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

I have 2 of them, one with the thumb safety and one with out. They are both very easy to rack the slide. My wife prefers the one with the thumb safety. she loves to shoot it. she doesn't have a lot of strength in her wrist\hands so this was the perfect solution for her.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Pete92FS wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:01 pm Oldgringo - I noticed you said in your World Cup post you had a S&W M&P 380 EZ. There was an article in one of the latest Guns & Ammo magazines about this pistol. One of the things mentioned was that it was supposed to be easier to rack than your normal semi-auto pistol. Made me think about my wife who has weak hands and can't rack a semi-auto. Is it that much easier to rack? Has anyone else had any experience with one of these?
Mine has the thumb safety and yes, it is not only very easy to rack, it is also very easy to shoot and to CC.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I prefer thumb safety ... but check this :https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-shi ... r-advisory

https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-shi ... r-advisory

M&P®380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Consumer Advisory

Like any firearm, the function of the M&P®380 Shield™ EZ™ Manual Thumb Safety pistol can be influenced by the type and quality of ammunition used with the pistol. In the case of the M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety, we have found that in very rare circumstances, ammunition that produces a high level of felt recoil can cause the manual safety to move from the fire to the “safety on” position during firing. Should this occur, you will not be able to fire the next round unless and until the manual safety is reset to the fire position.

At Smith & Wesson, we are committed to designing and producing firearms that meet the highest quality and performance standards. To ensure that every Smith & Wesson handgun meets our standards for reliability and performance, as of April 4, 2018, we have engineered the manual safety so that it will be less susceptible to the influence of ammunition weight, velocity and loads. Any M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety pistol produced before April 4, is eligible for a no-cost upgrade. To determine if this consumer advisory applies to your pistol, please utilize our serial number verification tool.

If your pistol is subject to this advisory, please call Smith & Wesson at 1-800-331-0852 or email us at MP380EZAdvisory@Smith-Wesson.com. A FedEx return label and shipping instructions to facilitate the return of your M&P 380 Shield EZ pistol will be mailed to you promptly. If you have any questions, you may call 1-800-331-0852 for more information.

WARNING: READ AND FOLLOW THE WARNINGS IN YOUR OWNER’S MANUAL. NEVER USE “PLUS-P” (+P), “PLUS-P-PLUS” (+P+); OR RELOADED AMMUNITION WITH THE M&P 380 EZ. ALWAYS USE FACTORY MANUFACTURED AMMUNITION PRODUCED TO SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS.

Please enter the serial number below :

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Karl Rehn, of KR Training, bought two of the EZs for his students to use. He reviewed the pistol.
http://blog.krtraining.com/smith-and-we ... un-review/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like this may be the way to go for my wife.

Anyone know of any ranges in the Houston area that has one as a loaner?
CHL since 01/26/09

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

NotRPB wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am I prefer thumb safety ... but check this :https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-shi ... r-advisory

M&P®380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Consumer Advisory

Like any firearm, the function of the M&P®380 Shield™ EZ™ Manual Thumb Safety pistol can be influenced by the type and quality of ammunition used with the pistol. In the case of the M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety, we have found that in very rare circumstances, ammunition that produces a high level of felt recoil can cause the manual safety to move from the fire to the “safety on” position during firing. Should this occur, you will not be able to fire the next round unless and until the manual safety is reset to the fire position.

At Smith & Wesson, we are committed to designing and producing firearms that meet the highest quality and performance standards. To ensure that every Smith & Wesson handgun meets our standards for reliability and performance, as of April 4, 2018, we have engineered the manual safety so that it will be less susceptible to the influence of ammunition weight, velocity and loads. Any M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety pistol produced before April 4, is eligible for a no-cost upgrade. To determine if this consumer advisory applies to your pistol, please utilize our serial number verification tool.

If your pistol is subject to this advisory, please call Smith & Wesson at 1-800-331-0852 or email us at MP380EZAdvisory@Smith-Wesson.com. A FedEx return label and shipping instructions to facilitate the return of your M&P 380 Shield EZ pistol will be mailed to you promptly. If you have any questions, you may call 1-800-331-0852 for more information.

WARNING: READ AND FOLLOW THE WARNINGS IN YOUR OWNER’S MANUAL. NEVER USE “PLUS-P” (+P), “PLUS-P-PLUS” (+P+); OR RELOADED AMMUNITION WITH THE M&P 380 EZ. ALWAYS USE FACTORY MANUFACTURED AMMUNITION PRODUCED TO SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS.

Please enter the serial number below :

I sent the one I have with a thumb safety into S&W and got it back 10 days later. From what I can tell they replaced the Safety lever with one that has a deeper detent in it. I don't use +P ammo, but that's what was causing the Safety issue. I guess some folks don't read the manual cover to cover. :)
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

After reading this thread again today I ran the serial number on the website and determined my 380 EZ needed the safety fix.
Called S&W and they promptly sent a shipping label to me via email.
Shipped it an hour later.
Will let you know when it is returned.

The safety did in fact re-engage twice when I took it to the range last month.
I assumed it was me, not the gun.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Pete92FS wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:07 pm Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like this may be the way to go for my wife.

Anyone know of any ranges in the Houston area that has one as a loaner?
I think G2G in Rosenberg does.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”