Magpul MBUS sights beware

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Magpul MBUS sights beware

Post by cmgee67 »

I own a few sets of the polymer Magpul mbus flip up sights and they have always worked well for me. While out shooting two weeks ago I noticed that on the AR that I was shooting, the rear sight had a pin that was starting to walk out. It’s the long pin on the part of the sight that doesn’t flip up. I pushed it back in and the sight never lost zero. I have never had this happen on the others that I own so I decided to just JB weld the ends of the pin to the sight itself so they can’t walk out. I thought I’d pass the info along. That way you can keep an eye out on yours if you use them.

Topic author
cmgee67

Re: Magpul MBUS sights beware

Post by cmgee67 »

Yes sir that is the Pin. I have never had it happen until then. JB weld on the ends have fixed the problem.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Maxwell »

Speaking of sights:
Why is the line-of-sight on modern AR sights so far above the receiver/Barrel line?
Wouldn't they be more accurate if lower and more in line with the barrel?

:headscratch

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

jsenner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jsenner »

Where did you get them?

There was a run of Chinese fakes of these exact sights a while ago and they were VERY well faked, you couldn't tell them apart packaging and all. They all had a very common problem, those pins would work out of the body. The springs in the sights were ever so slightly lighter in color as well.

I've had to replace half a dozen of them on different guns for folks that got the fakes - all of them had those pins walk out like that.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Maxwell wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:23 am Speaking of sights:
Why is the line-of-sight on modern AR sights so far above the receiver/Barrel line?
Because the rifle uses an in-line stock, the sights have to be raised or you won't be able to get your eye behind them. The in-line stock, aside from being necessary to the design's function, does a lot to mitigate muzzle rise. If the stock had a drop to it, like a traditionally stocked rifle, the sights can be mounted lower, but muzzle rise increases.

The higher sights do not affect accuracy. Failing to keep the rifle level when firing will throw the sights & bore out of vertical alignment, resulting in less than optimal results.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 am
Because the rifle uses an in-line stock, the sights have to be raised or you won't be able to get your eye behind them. The in-line stock, aside from being necessary to the design's function, does a lot to mitigate muzzle rise. If the stock had a drop to it, like a traditionally stocked rifle, the sights can be mounted lower, but muzzle rise increases.

The higher sights do not affect accuracy. Failing to keep the rifle level when firing will throw the sights & bore out of vertical alignment, resulting in less than optimal results.
What he said.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 am

What he said.
What they said. :cool:

Accuracy depends on the rifle, the shooter, and whether or not the sights are correctly "sighted". Not location of the sights. That's my non-expert humble opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

C-dub wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 am

What he said.
What they said. :cool:

Accuracy depends on the rifle, the shooter, and whether or not the sights are correctly "sighted". Not location of the sights. That's my non-expert humble opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.
I agree with what C-dub Johnson said about what Annoyed Johnson said about what Pawpaw Johnson wrote.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

jsenner wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:04 am Where did you get them?

There was a run of Chinese fakes of these exact sights a while ago and they were VERY well faked, you couldn't tell them apart packaging and all. They all had a very common problem, those pins would work out of the body. The springs in the sights were ever so slightly lighter in color as well.

I've had to replace half a dozen of them on different guns for folks that got the fakes - all of them had those pins walk out like that.
If it takes a metric allen wrench to tighten the screws it is probably a fake.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Maxwell »

My thanks to the Almighty Johnsons!

By accuracy I meant that with lower sights there would be less of an arc in trajectory, so bullet drop would be easier to compensate for. I do know and understand that with any shot there will be a convergence point where line of sight meets bullet trajectory, a distance after that where the bullet would actually hit the target higher than line of sight, and a point where it comes back down to line of sight and continues to drop after that.

I was just thinking that lowering the angle of intersection would flatten out the arc.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

That height above bore has also contributed to the untimely demise of many a chronograph. Just gotta be aware of it with AR platforms.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I assure you the sights are not fake. I bought them from academy....

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

Maxwell wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 pm My thanks to the Almighty Johnsons!

By accuracy I meant that with lower sights there would be less of an arc in trajectory, so bullet drop would be easier to compensate for. I do know and understand that with any shot there will be a convergence point where line of sight meets bullet trajectory, a distance after that where the bullet would actually hit the target higher than line of sight, and a point where it comes back down to line of sight and continues to drop after that.

I was just thinking that lowering the angle of intersection would flatten out the arc.
I'm hoping you just chose your words poorly. Bullet arc is a factor of gravity, changing sights will make no difference.

My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”