Ruger revolvers

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger revolvers

Post by ml1209 »

I ended up with these guys. Two GP100s and a Security Six, all .357 Magnums and all stainless. As you can see, the 3-inch GP100 has a mirror polish. Which would be your favorite, ranking from most to least (1-3)?

Topic author
ml1209

Re: Ruger revolvers

Post by ml1209 »

Rob72 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:56 am 1.) 3" GP. Not a big fan of the mirror finish, but it's an optimal carry-size, if you're a revo guy.
2.) 4" (3.5"?) Gp, with the lug cut. Slightly longer sight radius, and has had some weight reduction.
3.) Security 6. Meh. Unless you really abuse it, it will run forever, just like the GPs, I just never got fired up over the design.

You have really nice pistols, and a cool, "Ruger Collection." Revolvers are just too much steel moving too little lead for me, in general. :mrgreen:
Thanks.

Revolvers are definitely cool, but I agree they're not as efficient home defense devices as a Glock with 15+ capacity.

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr surveyor »

I'd be glad to take that Security Six

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

mr surveyor wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am I'd be glad to take that Security Six

jd
That Security Six has the inscription "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty"

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I like the security six.... beautiful gun.
Btw and for the record, revolvers are not outdated and are still more than adequate self defense guns. Thanks for sharing!

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

My first pistol was a Security Six at the age of 11.
Great gun!
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I have a Service Six, blued, and I really enjoy shooting it...but the Match Champion is excellent!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Revolvers are often quite beautiful, but I wouldn't carry one as my main SD weapon, but they have a place as range guns and BUG's.

A friend relayed a story where he and his wife were at a restaurant and a serious situation developed with some very bad actors and he was carrying a 5 shot revolver.

At the point it looked like he might have to use it, he said he felt nauseous regarding the capacity and never ever carried it again as a main SD firearm.

I've never been tempted to carry a 5/6 revolver as a primary SD firearm.

My perspective...

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

My preference is the order that they are laid out in...4 inch GP, then 3 inch GP, then the Sec Six.

The more you shoot them, the smoother the action gets. You will probably find Jimmy Hoffa before you wear out any of those.

I have carried a 4 Inch GP on duty and did not feel undergunned at all. The 4 Inch GP with .357 Magnum Remington 125 JHPs shot 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. IME a typical Glock shoots like that at 50. Just because revolvers aren't "In Style" doesn't mean they don't still work.

Nice group of Ruger Revolvers OP.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I really miss my Security-six. Bought in 1975.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Taken several first-time shooters to the range along with my plinking buddy. We bring a few different styles and calibers with us. Seems the newbies always gravitate to my 6" stainless Security Six loaded with .357....and I don't blame them!
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I only have single action Ruger revolvers, but I have several Smith and Wesson revolvers, too. Having started my shooting life when semi autos were limited (either expensive Colt 1911's, Hi-Powers and a couple of S&W's or surplus 1911's) I mostly shot revolvers and did for many years. My first new semi was a S&W 9mm in 1989. It was stolen along with my revolvers, except my Ruger .44 Mag that they somehow overlooked. All other considerations aside I think I still enjoy shooting revolvers over semi-autos.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I have a 4” service six that I love, have owned a few GP 100’s in the past but prefer the security/service six lines. So I would rank the security six first then the 3” GP then the 4”. Needless to say they all are sweet. :thumbs2:
Truth against the world

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”