Ruger PC Carbine or 9mm Upper

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger PC Carbine or 9mm Upper

Post by Tex1961 »

Looking for arguments as to the best way to go...

I've really gotten into handgun caliber carbines due to what happened a few weeks back.

I have a family membership to an indoor range but decided to also get one for an outdoor range as well. Unfortunately I didn't realize until after I got my membership that the outdoor range doesn't allow rifle cartridges. (And No I'm not going to Garland or any other range.) my membership has already been paid.. Anyway... Before I signed up to the outdoor range I purchased my first AR15... Unfortunately I can only now use it at the indoor range (crazy I know). Anyway.. I ran out an bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine and me and my family have fallen in love with it... Heavy... Ugly... But dang.. Accuracy and 100% reliable and just so fun to shoot. I want to add to the collection but due to the 2 rifle purchase and range purchase my funds are a bit limited for a while... I am homing in on either getting a Ruger PC 9mm Carbine or just getting a 9mm complete upper (with Glock magwell kit)... If it were up to me I would just get both.. But as I said, right now I can only swing one or the other...

Convince me which one I should get....

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger PC Carbine or 9mm Upper

Post by bblhd672 »

*Disclaimer: I am owner and big fan of the Ruger PCC 9mm!* :mrgreen:

If your budget allows for purchasing the Ruger I'd go with it over a 9mm upper/magwell. You would have two functioning rifles instead of one with two different uppers.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’ve been having the same debate myself, but I more or less settled on the PC 9 carbine. That said, I decided to put it off for now. I already have a Sub-2000 carbine in 9mm that takes Glock 17 mags, so it’s more of a want than a pressing need, and I have other wants that are not yet fulfilled at all. A .45-70 lever action guide gun is about as far from a 9mm carbine as you can get. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Appreciate the answers so far. I keep wafting both ways... I like how my AR feels in my hands. Until I finally got a chance to feel the Ruger... To me it looks ugly in the photos. But when I saw and handled one I changed my mind... Light and easy to sight down the barrel. The Ruger comes in around $100.00 more than the 9mm upper I've been looking at. http://karrisguns.com/kg-Defender-9mm-1 ... rsion.aspx

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

I have a Ruger PC9, Kel-Tek Sub2000 9mm, and a CMMG AR9. I also enjoy Pistol Caliber carbines. The PC9 is really fun to shoot. It's actually more rifle like than carbine.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Not to give you even more options to choose from, but High Tower Armory also makes a bullpup conversion for your Hi-point. I know they aren't everybody's cup of tea, but I think they look pretty cool. They do cost about as much as the gun cost in the first place, though.

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/Product ... e=HTAMBS95

ETA: Looks like they say "coming soon," but I've seen somebody with one somewhere, so they must be for sale. Not sure what's up with that.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Thanks for the last reply and information.

So It's been a few weeks and between my research and just simply thinking it through... I have decided on going with the Ruger PC Carbine... And keeping my AR stock 223/5.56...

I've now built up my $$ resources again so I will probably get one on order in the next few weeks... Been busy as one of my shooting buddies (one of my twin boys) is starting the process of joining up with the Navy.....

On the funding issues.... I am going to do some shameless promotion (NOTE TO ADMINS, YOU CAN DELETE IF I'VE BROKEN FORUM RULES).

I fund my addiction with sales through my business and sales on Amazon... I make and sell a couple of popular decorative accessories...

Custom Magazine Base Plate Stickers
IMG_2439.jpg
AR-15 Custom Magwell stickers
IMG_2687.jpg
and Hi-Point Carbine stickers
IMG_2797.jpg
These have all been popular sellers for me since a lot of people like custom stuff for their guns....

Again, appreciate all of the replies.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”