Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Shadow41
Posts in topic: 2

Winchester 24 gun safe

Post by Shadow41 »

Hello all
I've started looking for a gun safe and I've had my eye on the Winchester 24 gun safe from Tractor Supply for 499. Does anyone have experience and feedback they can share about the quality and durability if you have one of these? The online reviews seem pretty favorable.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

Thanks

mdwarchichoke
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Winchester 24 gun safe

Post by mdwarchichoke »

I had a smaller 20 x 20 x 60 version of the Winchester safe when they were originally made in south Ft Worth. Good safe for years. It was 10 and 11 gauge vs the newer 14 gauge models. Seems most of the big box store safes are 11 gauge now at best. Like anything if someone really wants in it and has time they will get in. I bolted mine down and put in a corner to help limit access. It also keeps them from tipping it over and wrecking items in the safe just for the heck of it i guess. plus and minus's to everything. Outside hinges are nice as the door will hinge open 180 degrees and fire board inside is not interrupted. Also lights do not have to start and stop like they do to get around the interior hings. None of the items are a deal killer. My biggest comment would be buy one size bigger than want you need! (which for me was driven by price or what I could find on the used market)

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

I’ve also been watching this safe from TS. I see it goes $50 off occasionally and almost pulled the trigger on one last time it did but, my local store had none in stock so I put it off.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

As noted you'll never get 24 long guns in a "24 gun safe" unless all you own is lever actions. Thus, always subtract about 1/3 of what the quoted capacity is to get to the real world holding capacity. So with that in mind the "always buy bigger than you need" mindset is sage advice. I would say buy as big as you can afford/fit in your home. You'll fill it up one way or another, and usually much sooner than you planned.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Don't know if he has any reviews on the Winchester but I like this guy.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

ELB

Post by ELB »

jmorris wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 am Don't know if he has any reviews on the Winchester but I like this guy.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/
+1
USAF 1982-2005

TomS

Post by TomS »

Yes, go big. My 18 gun Liberty safe might hold 18 handguns but no way am I fitting more than half a dozen long guns in there.

Topic author
Shadow41

Post by Shadow41 »

Thanks for the replies. :tiphat:

I did a good bit or reading on the link jmorris listed. Good info. I don't remember if it was on that site, but I read that it's best to have a dial lock over the keypad lock because the keypad will eventually malfunction. As for size, I only have 10 long guns so I was hoping to fit them on one side and use the selves on the other side for hand guns. So as pretty much all of you said, if I can't place the 10 on one side then it probably won't work for what I'm looking for.

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

My local Tractor Supply has this safe $50 off so, pulled the trigger and purchased. Will get it delivered Sunday.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”