My first BB gun purchase

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 2

My first BB gun purchase

Post by allisji »

My son started Kindergarten last week. He's crossing multiple milestones now. For example, On Sunday he asked me to take the training wheels off of his bicycle. So I did and he learned to ride it. I also took the child safety lock off of the door on his side of the car so that he can get him self out of the car in the school drop-off line.

In one month from today, he will turn 6 and I am going to give him a BB gun and teach him how to shoot. I got him this Daisy Buck BB gun. I also picked up a pair of safety glasses for him, a foam target, and a 2400 BBs.

I'm looking forward to teaching him safe handling and can't wait to get him shooting with it. For storage it's either going to go in the safe with my guns or on the top shelf in my bedroom closet so that he can't get to it without supervision, and knows that it's not a toy. His Granddad already has a Davey Crickett .22 waiting for him once he's mastered the BB gun.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My first BB gun purchase

Post by oljames3 »

allisji wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:30 am My son started Kindergarten last week. He's crossing multiple milestones now. For example, On Sunday he asked me to take the training wheels off of his bicycle. So I did and he learned to ride it. I also took the child safety lock off of the door on his side of the car so that he can get him self out of the car in the school drop-off line.

In one month from today, he will turn 6 and I am going to give him a BB gun and teach him how to shoot. I got him this Daisy Buck BB gun. I also picked up a pair of safety glasses for him, a foam target, and a 2400 BBs.

I'm looking forward to teaching him safe handling and can't wait to get him shooting with it. For storage it's either going to go in the safe with my guns or on the top shelf in my bedroom closet so that he can't get to it without supervision, and knows that it's not a toy. His Granddad already has a Davey Crickett .22 waiting for him once he's mastered the BB gun.
:thewave
Congrats you your youngun's progress. My 3 sons grew up with a Red Ryder. The oldest now has his LTC and carries an S&W M&P M2.0 Compact, concealed. I'm taking my three sons, my youngest brother, and my father back to KR Training for a class next month. My father will be carrying the S&W M&P M2.0 Compact that his children and grandchildren got him for his birthday (86 in September).

You have many more milestones ahead. I'm sure you have heard it before, they grow up fast. Cat's in the Cradle, etc.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Congrats, it just seems like a few weeks ago, that I surprised my then 6 year old son with his Red Ryder BB gun. We set up targets, and he learned all of the safety rules, before he was allowed to shoot it. He's almost 21 now, and will be applying for his LTC soon. Take a lot of pics, and enjoy every minute, you can with him. My son still remembers, his first gun, (and still has it) and was so proud of his shooting skills. Nothing better than teaching your kids to shoot, and enjoying some very great father son bonding. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I am reminded of Proverbs 22:6. "Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it." Ingraining responsible gun handling habits in our youngsters is a great way to ensure a lifetime of positive experiences in shooting sports.
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

Nice! :thumbs2:

Warning: Don't blink.... He'll be headed off to college or tech school or wherever before you know it and you don't want to miss anything.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

flechero

in the safe = a big deal to a kid!

Post by flechero »

Keep it in the safe. Not only does it reinforce the fact that it's not a toy... my son was beaming with pride that HE also had a gun in the safe! It's now referred to as "our" gun safe. :biggrinjester:

Enjoy these years- they are awesome!!!

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Sounds like you’ll have a great time with your son and I’m envious of the cheap ammo. But hey, let’s not forget the ladies! I didn’t have any sons but was blessed with two beautiful daughters. They’re both grown now but I agree with the previous sentiments. They’re gone before you know it so enjoy it now. Both can shoot and we still make it to the range occasionally (one keeps a range bag in her car). Neither currently carries but they can both take care of themselves. Any person foolish enough to break into their homes will be met with a rude awakening - one keeps a 20ga. handy and the other has a PX4 (9mm). The younger one recently built her first AR and I was enlisted to "help" so that was fun. Shooting/hunting is just one more great excuse to spend some quality time with your kid. Enjoy!

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 am I am reminded of Proverbs 22:6. "Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it." Ingraining responsible gun handling habits in our youngsters is a great way to ensure a lifetime of positive experiences in shooting sports.
Amen
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

mot7981 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:45 am Sounds like you’ll have a great time with your son and I’m envious of the cheap ammo. But hey, let’s not forget the ladies! I didn’t have any sons but was blessed with two beautiful daughters. They’re both grown now but I agree with the previous sentiments. They’re gone before you know it so enjoy it now. Both can shoot and we still make it to the range occasionally (one keeps a range bag in her car). Neither currently carries but they can both take care of themselves. Any person foolish enough to break into their homes will be met with a rude awakening - one keeps a 20ga. handy and the other has a PX4 (9mm). The younger one recently built her first AR and I was enlisted to "help" so that was fun. Shooting/hunting is just one more great excuse to spend some quality time with your kid. Enjoy!
Regretfully, none of my six daughters has any interest in shooting. The youngest likes to go to the range with us and thinks the using the UpLULA is fun. Oh, well, three out of nine ain't bad (apologies to Meat Loaf). :biggrinjester:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

allisji wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:30 am My son started Kindergarten last week. He's crossing multiple milestones now. For example, On Sunday he asked me to take the training wheels off of his bicycle. So I did and he learned to ride it. I also took the child safety lock off of the door on his side of the car so that he can get him self out of the car in the school drop-off line.

Well done, sir! Lot's of good advice here. If I may offer one other bit. Shooting at a stationary foam or paper target certainly hones accuracy, but I bought my grand kids a metal hanging target. There are cheap metal hanging targets for air guns and the kids get a kick out hearing that ping and making that little silhouette move . I noticed they had more fun shooting soda cans than targets and got the idea to get them the metal reactive one. Again you're on a great track by starting early. :tiphat:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Middle Age Russ

There are cheap metal hanging targets for air guns and the kids get a kick out hearing that ping and making that little silhouette move . I noticed they had more fun shooting soda cans than targets and got the idea to get them the metal reactive one.
While reactive targets are great fun, steel targets and steel BBs usually don't mix well -- lots of ricochet. There are plenty of other options, though. You can find plated lead BBs, which deform against the steel targets and don't pose much of a ricochet risk. Also, Daisy make some little disk targets that break when you hit them. Then there are paintballs glued to a target, soda cans, balloons, pill bottles, ping pong balls, practice whiffle-ball-like golf balls, etc... that can be used as reactive targets.

Making a frame with a 3/8" plywood back that will hold a ceiling tile with a little space between it and the back can give you a pretty flexible backstop to use for whatever type of target you want to shoot with a BB gun, and you can recover most of the BBs to clean and re-use. You will have to replace the ceiling tile occasionally, but they are fairly cheap.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 am
There are cheap metal hanging targets for air guns and the kids get a kick out hearing that ping and making that little silhouette move . I noticed they had more fun shooting soda cans than targets and got the idea to get them the metal reactive one.
While reactive targets are great fun, steel targets and steel BBs usually don't mix well -- lots of ricochet. There are plenty of other options, though. You can find plated lead BBs, which deform against the steel targets and don't pose much of a ricochet risk. Also, Daisy make some little disk targets that break when you hit them. Then there are paintballs glued to a target, soda cans, balloons, pill bottles, ping pong balls, practice whiffle-ball-like golf balls, etc... that can be used as reactive targets.

Making a frame with a 3/8" plywood back that will hold a ceiling tile with a little space between it and the back can give you a pretty flexible backstop to use for whatever type of target you want to shoot with a BB gun, and you can recover most of the BBs to clean and re-use. You will have to replace the ceiling tile occasionally, but they are fairly cheap.
My son had a ball, shooting his plastic army men. They fall over when hit, and can be used over and over. It really forced him to concentrate, and get a good sight picture, even from 10-12 feet away.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Middle Age Russ

My son had a ball, shooting his plastic army men.
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall enjoying shooting at the little plastic army men as well.
Russ

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

I probably will set up a hanging soda can inside a cardboard box stuffed with hay or something to catch the bbs.

I have a feeling that he won't want to shoot at the squirrels and crows on the foam block that I bought anyway.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

When I was that age, my buddy and I would take the lions out of a box of animal crackers, set them up in and empty field and go 'on safari.' They made good fun targets and would feed the birds when we were done.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”