Thoughts on open carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Thoughts on open carry

Post by cmgee67 »

I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on open carry vs Concealed. I believe there is a time and place for both. Like when I’m working my security team at church I have to CC as OC is not permitted. We don’t have any .06 or .07 signs but we were given notice by our pastor asking us not to OC but to make sure we are CC’ing. Others settings such as that I will CC. When I’m just out and about and know that I’m not going anywhere like that I tend to still CC but you may find me occasionally OC. I know most people I’ve talked to say “I don’t open carry I don’t want to be a target”. I feel like that’s just a blanket statement excuse not to do so because they are uncomfortable. If they are that’s fine it’s their choice as long as they carry. I don’t think people who don’t carry a gun have any room to speak on the matter. That’s like me telling my wife how to put on makeup when I don’t do it myself. I have OC’d plenty and find it much more comfortable. I use the Safariland 7TS ALS holster with the paddle attachment and it works great. I do think if you OC in public you need a retention holster of some sort. If I’m at home one of my regular Kydex friction holsters work. How do y’all feel about the subject?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thoughts on open carry

Post by Liberty »

For me, it is a non-issue. I wear my shirts untucked, I don't worry about my weapons being exposed, but they are always going to be pretty well hidden. My holsters are all older than the open carry laws.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

I OC the majority, of the time. I CC when at church, if I go into a 30.07 posted location, or if I am going somewhere, that there may be a large crowd, of people, just because I can't be as SA, when in a crowd. Most of my travels, don't involve going into large metropolitan areas, and I have never had a negative reaction to my OC.
In the winter, my gun is usually covered by a jacket, or coat, when outside, but I will remove it when inside.
I don't OC, to be obtrusive. In fact, either because of my style of dress, type of holster, my demeanor, or other's lack of SA, very few people even notice I am carrying.

To each their own. Not everyone, goes to the same places I do, nor do they encounter, the same people, so their method of carry is what they feel works best for them. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I CC most of the time because I like the element of surprise. There are cases where I do open carry such as hunting, on my property, on my motorcycle (don't really have a choice here cause wind always blows my shirt up), and the few odd times my wife makes me go to wallyworld as back up for her.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:46 am I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on open carry vs Concealed. I believe there is a time and place for both. Like when I’m working my security team at church I have to CC as OC is not permitted. We don’t have any .06 or .07 signs but we were given notice by our pastor asking us not to OC but to make sure we are CC’ing. Others settings such as that I will CC. When I’m just out and about and know that I’m not going anywhere like that I tend to still CC but you may find me occasionally OC. I know most people I’ve talked to say “I don’t open carry I don’t want to be a target”. I feel like that’s just a blanket statement excuse not to do so because they are uncomfortable. If they are that’s fine it’s their choice as long as they carry. I don’t think people who don’t carry a gun have any room to speak on the matter. That’s like me telling my wife how to put on makeup when I don’t do it myself. I have OC’d plenty and find it much more comfortable. I use the Safariland 7TS ALS holster with the paddle attachment and it works great. I do think if you OC in public you need a retention holster of some sort. If I’m at home one of my regular Kydex friction holsters work. How do y’all feel about the subject?
I agree with liberty in that how we carry is a non-issue. Our choices of self-defense tool and carry method are based on considerations that are as unique as are we. Pick what works best for you and carry. As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. I prefer to make my life choices based on evidence and logic rather than supposition and feelings because that works best for me. Your mileage will vary.

What works best for me and mine is for me to carry openly everywhere I can legally do so. My choices of tool and method are subject to change based on my continuous evaluation of my situation and abilities. I bought my first pistol, a Tanfoglio BTA90, in 2013, a month after getting my CHL. It came with a Fobus OWB paddle holster. My wife and I were on the way to CO. We stopped in Lubbock to visit her family and I bought the pistol from my wife's recently widowed aunt. I carried it concealed all the way to the NM state line. For three days in NM and CO I carried openly. First in the Fobus holster and then in a nylon Blackhawk OWB holster with a strap. Upon returning to Texas, I switched to a Galco King Tuk and carried concealed until 1/1/16, except for trips to AZ, NM, CO, OK, KS, and MO. To that point, my experiences have shown that I an best prepared to defend myself and mine by carrying openly.

My joining this forum has been a great help in the evolution of my self-defense techniques. I came to understand that, for me, my DA/SA pistol was not the best tool and that not having a purpose-built retention holster was an issue. After much research, I settled on the S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch which I now carry every day. It rides in a Safariland 7TS ALS holster, openly, for which I use the Safariland Quick Lock System to easily attach and remove the holstered pistol from my belt.

My wife had her own epiphany and now carries a Walther PPS M2 LE as her EDC. I have adopted her Ruger LCR .38 as my back up gun which I carry in a Remora RFT pocket holster. I have found that I like being able to quickly stow my M&P, when necessary, and still be armed.

I practice and train both for carrying concealed and carrying openly. Among other trainings, I passed a Texas DPS school safety/active shooter course https://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/C ... afety.html and the KR Training Defensive Pistol Skills Program https://www.krtraining.com/defensivepis ... ogram.html. I validate my techniques by competing in USPSA matches and force-on-force scenario training. I continue to train. My next class is Combative Pistol II with Tom Givens. http://rangemaster.com/training/combative-pistol-ii/

My point is that as I continue to learn, improve, and evaluate my skills, I will adjust my self-defense choices to best meet my needs.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
Last edited by oljames3 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

cmgee67 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:46 am ... I know most people I’ve talked to say “I don’t open carry I don’t want to be a target”. I feel like that’s just a blanket statement excuse not to do so because they are uncomfortable. If they are that’s fine it’s their choice as long as they carry.
I don't buy into the argument of being a target either. I have to CC at work, so most days you will not see my gun. However, on weekends I tend to dress differently because my activities get a lot more physical in nature when I am not at my regular job. So most of the time I OC on weekends. When I do the reactions are 98% positive. Not many people OC in my part of the state. I've seen a few people give me a surprised look, and seen a few whom appeared to be of questionable character walk away.

Since I both CC out of necessity and OC out of choice, I have thought about whether or not I act differently depending on the method of carry. The only thing I have determined through self analysis is that my SA tends to ratchet up a notch when I OC.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I've always CC, but I just acquired a 1911... Still trying to decide on a new pair of grips... One should never open carry until one has really cool grips...
Just Sayin....

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am really disappointed to see no noon-time draw and duel shoot at each other intersection as predicted by anti Open Carry folks.
That is drama no one has seen but on CRT tube.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

JRG

Post by JRG »

I have OC on occasions fewer than 5 or 10 times. It is not so much that I have gotten negative reactions, but that I feel better CC than OC. I guess since I started CC so many years ago that it is an ingrained habit that I cannot change readily.

Joe

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

My feeling on CC vs OC is purely one of practicality... since I started CCing about 12 or so years before OC was even an option and my work, volunteer & Church activities dictate CC, I have not invested in any OWB holsters. It's just easier for me to have one mode of carry and stick to it all the time.

The only time I OC is tucking in my shirt on the range, behind an IWB holster.
Tex1961 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 am I've always CC, but I just acquired a 1911... Still trying to decide on a new pair of grips... One should never open carry until one has really cool grips...
Just Sayin....
:iagree: but you must post pics when you get them!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I only OWB, but my shirt is almost always untucked, so it's not a particular choice, just the way I prefer to dress.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Jay2121
Banned

Post by Jay2121 »

I open carry when ever and where ever I can. I cc if I have to. I am in the camp that says: Carry which ever way you want but carry. I do not, however, want to hear excuses as to why you don't open carry. CMGEE67 already nailed that one with the reason why and I quote "I know most people I’ve talked to say “I don’t open carry I don’t want to be a target”. I feel like that’s just a blanket statement excuse not to do so because they are uncomfortable."

And using the reason is fine but the facts do not support that statement that you are not a target.

Anyway I have attached an excellent article on open carry. It might ask you to pause your ad blocker if you have one. It takes a second and is well worth the read.

https://dailycaller.com/2015/04/22/the- ... open-carry

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Beiruty wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:41 am I am really disappointed to see no noon-time draw and duel shoot at each other intersection as predicted by anti Open Carry folks.
That is drama no one has seen but on CRT tube.
Yeah, it seems the only people getting shot by open carry folks are criminals. Kinda hard to spin that into a gun control argument!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

I mostly CC. When I do OC I don't worry about being targeted because I don't believe 99% of criminals are smart enough to be checking out everyone around them to see who is open carrying. Same with wearing "tactical" pants, when I put them on I don't feel like more of a target either.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I don't often open carry, but when I do, I carry Dos Equis.... :coolgleamA:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”