Private sale safety

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Private sale safety

Post by PriestTheRunner »

1) Police station lobby is almost always a great place to transfer items (even firearms).
2) First option is to buy from someone who has upwards of 200 posts or more on a forum (for online firearm sales), because there is some level of trace that can be applied if anything went wrong.
3) Always deal in cash, never in cashiers checks or travelers checks. Personal checks are OK if you can immediately deposit (like at the bank). Even better (to avoid checks) is to wire the money from one account to another. Usually banks charge about ~$3 for this but the money is transferred as quickly as cash without driving around with thousands. This is the method I would use for 20k+ transactions, like vehicles.
4) Bring a buddy, or at least another set of eyes. The only time I have broken this rule is when buying or selling to/from forum members. Craigslist, bring two set of eyes and a AR-10... lol.
5) Always, ALWAYS do a bill of sale with two copies, and get both signatures on each. If that pistol you just bought was stolen, you HAVE to be able to prove that you did not know at the time. Proving a negative is quite difficult, hence Bill of Sale.
6) If they aren't willing to show ID, don't buy. That includes putting ID number down on paper or taking a photo of it.

If it is a FTF sale and you are a venerable population and alone (aka young woman, disabled, etc), you can ask an officer to step into the lobby and witness the transaction. Knowing the heart of most LEOs, they wouldn't have an issue. Typically, though, there is an officer at the front desk that can visibly see the lobby.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 pm
samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 pm You can sell in a police parking lot ?
The police dept in my city offered the use of the lobby, not just the parking lot. This is not limited to firearm sales. Any legal FTF transaction can be conducted there.
Even in tiny Elgin the PD has a designated parking spot directly in front for sales/exchanges.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

couzin

Post by couzin »

aaangel wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:26 pm just sell it here. if you meet up with any of us members here, you have nothing to worry about. we are all good guys .. :cheers2:
Yep - I never advertise anything on Dallas Guns or Texas Gun Trader anymore, here and other forums only, and I look at someone's posting history before I go any further. When I have to go the Craigslist route I have always taken extra precautions, public place (esp with video surveillance), photo of driver's license and mail/text it home.

Sad to have to be so paranoid/cautious...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I have had several transactions with members on this forum! Thank you all!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grundy1133 »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 am
samman2018 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 pm You can sell in a police parking lot ?
The police dept in my city offered the use of the lobby, not just the parking lot. This is not limited to firearm sales. Any legal FTF transaction can be conducted there.
Even in tiny Elgin the PD has a designated parking spot directly in front for sales/exchanges.
can you carry in side a police station? I mean, I don't see why they'd have it posted... you'd have to be pretty daft to try anything at a police station... and even if you were dumb enough to try anything, a sign wouldn't stop you.
NRA Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Grundy1133 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm
can you carry in side a police station? I mean, I don't see why they'd have it posted... you'd have to be pretty daft to try anything at a police station... and even if you were dumb enough to try anything, a sign wouldn't stop you.
I carried into the police station a couple weeks ago when I had to get finger printed for a background check for work. Being a government building, they are not allowed to prohibit licensees from carrying in the public areas unless it meets another statutory requirement.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Flightmare wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm
I carried into the police station a couple weeks ago when I had to get finger printed for a background check for work. Being a government building, they are not allowed to prohibit licensees from carrying in the public areas unless it meets another statutory requirement.
like a post office or a courthouse?
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”