Glock 21 (.45 cal.) Own One?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Glock 21 (.45 cal.) Own One?

Post by Lena »

Don't own one but a friend does and got to shoot it in his dad's junk yard at cars it shot well an older one it was, we both shot my Para P14 much better though both were flawless I did enjoy seeing what the performance did to cars compared to a 9mm we also had.
Stay Safe

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Lena wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 pm Don't own one but a friend does and got to shoot it in his dad's junk yard at cars it shot well an older one it was, we both shot my Para P14 much better though both were flawless I did enjoy seeing what the performance did to cars compared to a 9mm we also had.
Sounds fun- did you do some through door and windshield testing/shooting?? Curious as to the any differences you noted between the 45 and 9. (since I carry both at different times)

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

All we shot was ball ammo yes windshields and all, the 45 came closer to aim point on slanted glass than the 9 did the older the car less penetration on the doors especially pick ups like the 80's models compared to now the older ones we had a target in the drivers seat few of the newer trucks stopped the bullet unless something inside the door was hit most older almost did so, the 45's did better both on glass and metal, also shot 556, 762x39 and 44 mag. Most 44 went through the other door also.
All went through both windows 762x39 AP did excellent better than the 556 green tip on doors and glass, I wish I had my 357 sig with me then but did not take it. Of all shot the old Norma metal penetrating rounds were the most predictable. Other than the 44 the 45 did the best of the other 2.
Stay Safe

flechero

Post by flechero »

Sounds like a fun [and informative] day!! Thanks for the run down. :tiphat:

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

I had an old video ( beta if that gives you a hint) and at the time none of the pistol calibers did worth a hoot. 12 ga slugs were the only proectiled they tried which showed consistent penetration.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I have a grey Gen 4 Glock 21 that I've owned for close to 5 years now. Love the gun!

I have a couple of 1911's so I keep a lot of .45 ACP ammo on hand. I wanted a Glock in the same caliber that I could take camping with me and not worry about "dirtying" it up (I had problems with my Kimber rusting before I had it Cerakoted). It's a handful for my hands so I had the stippling done and had the finger groves removed and the the grip reduced some. Fits perfectly now and I can still use the back straps although I have never had the need.

No idea on the round count. But I've shot a couple of classes with it (usually around 500 each day over 1 or 2 days) and it's been 100% reliable with everything I've feed it.

When I go camping in bear country, I have a 10mm conversion barrel that I swap in that I keep loaded with hard cast lead bullets. I've shot a couple hundred rounds of various 10mm bullets with no hiccups so far. Forgot to mention that I upgraded the recoil spring once I started shooting 10mm out of it.

I love the 21 but it's expensive to shoot for classes, so I bought a 17 and I'm using that now. I've daily carried both the 17 and 21 IWB and OWB with no problems. The 17 is (obviously) noticeably lighter but never had a problem carrying either.

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Jose,

Thanks!

Great photo!!

flechero

Post by flechero »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:34 pm I have a grey Gen 4 Glock 21 that I've owned for close to 5 years now. Love the gun!

I have a 10mm conversion barrel that I swap in that I keep loaded with hard cast lead bullets.

I love the 21 but it's expensive to shoot
Jose, Who did the grip reduction and stippling? Seems a couple of the vendors that did them are now gone. If I ever bought a glock (forgive me Father, for even going there :lol: ) I'd need the reduction and grooves removed.

I like the idea of the 10mm conversion!

Sounds like you would also benefit from a reloading press... I reload 45acp for an average of $14/100 ($7.50 a box) and those are loads tailored to my purpose, not cheapo on sale alum or steel case ammo. And with a Dillon 550, I can comfortably load over 400 rounds per hour.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thanks Abraham!

flechero, message me and I'll give you his contact info.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

flechero wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:47 am I like the idea of the 10mm conversion!

Sounds like you would also benefit from a reloading press... I reload 45acp for an average of $14/100 ($7.50 a box) and those are loads tailored to my purpose, not cheapo on sale alum or steel case ammo. And with a Dillon 550, I can comfortably load over 400 rounds per hour.
Forgot to respond to this directly. I wasn't sure how the 10mm conversion barrel would work but so far it's been completely reliable. Don't shoot a lot of 10mm but eventually I plan to get a 1911 in 10mm. Regardless, I'll be looking into reloading sometime soon. Just working on getting some space together and a couple of good benches to work on.

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 1

Post by glbedd53 »

I have a G21 gen 2 for over 20 years. It went back to the factory twice for feeding problems when it was new. The second time they found the problem I guess. It's been perfect ever since. I like the 13+1 45acp. It's hard to conceal but it's a good truck gun.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”