Legit or gimmick?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Legit or gimmick?

Post by Jusme »

I went to the gun show in Fort Worth, yesterday, took Mrs. Jusme and Jusme Jr. We we're looking for carry options for Mrs. Jusme, and giving Jusme Jr, a chance to look at what he may want, for a carry gun, when he turns 21 in a few months
. I ran across a booth for this guy's springs, designed to reduce felt recoil, and increase speed for follow up shots. He had charts, and info regarding the tests performed, on his spring assemblies. Since I don't do impulse buys, on things I haven't researched, or at least had unbiased, opinions, I wanted to reach out to some of the experts, here, to see, if anyone has used these, and if so, what your impressions are. He is based in Austin, and was very down to earth, but I knew that he is also, in the business of making sales.
Here is his website info: https://www.recoilrebound.com
I am thinking about ordering one, since me and Mrs Jusme, both carry a S&W M&P 4-1/4" 9mm, but it is a little bit of an investment, if it is waste of time.
If anyone has experience with these, even in a different brand/model gun, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Legit or gimmick?

Post by Grundy1133 »

Im also interested in seeing what others have to say on the subject. I carry a 4.25" M&P 40 so im curious as well. :)
NRA Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Pricey but legit

Post by flechero »

As I read your post, I thought Hmm... if it's a flat wire spring setup, he may have something. ...lol

Can't speak to him specifically, but a number of people on the 1911 forum say a Wilson or EGW flat wire spring, properly matched, reduces felt recoil pretty effectively.

These are a lot more expensive, but they also look different so there may be something more to it.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I thought this thread was going to be about Lupe Valdez.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

From what he told me, during our brief conversation, is that there is a heavier spring,, at the rear, that prevents "frame slap" He did, not mention, that it was adjustable, but looking at the photos,on the site, it appears that it may be.

I don't know how long he has been in business, and this may be a fly by night, operation, I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with these.

I may get one and see if I notice any difference. not that I have issues with felt recoil, in my full size M&P, but if it helps with follow up shots, and makes it easier to shoot for my wife, it may be worth it.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Doesn't look fly by night- he's got an issued patent, not a "pending." So at a minimum, he's got some serious time and effort into it.

That additional spring at the back could be short and heavy enough to stop frame impact (or lessen it considerably) without overpowering the return to battery. Interesting for sure.

The allen head may just be for assembly, not adjustment... one would think if it was adjustable, he'd advertise that also.

If you have the cash, try one first to prove it to yourself and let us know how it works! :tiphat:

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

This is interesting. Looks like you can lighten your recoil spring considerably without slapping the youknowwhat out of the frame. In theory, this should lighten felt recoil considerably. It would at least spread out the felt recoil and convert the "snappyness" of a 9mm or .40 into more of a push. Too bad they don't have one for the CZ Shadow or I'd be giving it a try.

Still may try it out on the M&P just for giggles. I don't compete with that gun any more, but it could be a good test platform to see if it's worth it to work with the guy on something for my competition rigs.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

canvasbck wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:41 am This is interesting. Looks like you can lighten your recoil spring considerably without slapping the youknowwhat out of the frame. In theory, this should lighten felt recoil considerably. It would at least spread out the felt recoil and convert the "snappyness" of a 9mm or .40 into more of a push. Too bad they don't have one for the CZ Shadow or I'd be giving it a try.

Still may try it out on the M&P just for giggles. I don't compete with that gun any more, but it could be a good test platform to see if it's worth it to work with the guy on something for my competition rigs.
DPM makes a set up for the CZ, this is one of the companies, he put his spring up against.
https://zahal.org/product/cz-75-b-full- ... m-systems/

I haven't seen any negative feedback on these, so I'm leaning towards getting one. I almost wish I had bought one Saturday, the gun show price was $10 cheaper. :grumble

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

canvasbck wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:41 am This is interesting. Looks like you can lighten your recoil spring considerably without slapping the youknowwhat out of the frame. In theory, this should lighten felt recoil considerably. It would at least spread out the felt recoil and convert the "snappyness" of a 9mm or .40 into more of a push. Too bad they don't have one for the CZ Shadow or I'd be giving it a try.

If you shoot IDPA you might want to check and see if this would be legal first. Based on what I know about IDPA rules (which ain't a lot), it might not be.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Shooters like myself, do light reloads and lighten up the recoil spring for their match pistols. For Carry and shooting +P bonded HP, it might help. Note that Glock is already the second in the test. You can just add a heavy spring enough and be done with it. Bonded HP ammo would cycle almost all pistols with no problem. They are hot loads to start with.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

And Variable rate springs are not a new thing...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 4778031882
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Jusme wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 am From what he told me, during our brief conversation, is that there is a heavier spring,, at the rear, that prevents "frame slap" He did, not mention, that it was adjustable, but looking at the photos,on the site, it appears that it may be.
That spring at the rear is actually a stack of Bellville washers. Have seen use of those in other industries going back decades. It's a series of cupped, spring-steel, washers, stacked opposite each other. Very good at absorption of load without the rebounding that coiled springs can have. Many applications are adjustable, but just up to the point of keeping slack out of the stack, as the stack is also very limited in travel.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Archery1 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm
Jusme wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 am From what he told me, during our brief conversation, is that there is a heavier spring,, at the rear, that prevents "frame slap" He did, not mention, that it was adjustable, but looking at the photos,on the site, it appears that it may be.
That spring at the rear is actually a stack of Bellville washers. Have seen use of those in other industries going back decades. It's a series of cupped, spring-steel, washers, stacked opposite each other. Very good at absorption of load without the rebounding that coiled springs can have. Many applications are adjustable, but just up to the point of keeping slack out of the stack, as the stack is also very limited in travel.
:iagree: A very interesting idea.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Rob72 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:42 pm I've come full-circle, coming back to using OEM springs, with a stainless rod. This is my set up (and likely to remain so)http://btguiderods.com/

I tried Sprinco, when they first came out, then again, a few years later. Sometimes good, but unless I consistently shot +P, I'd get short-strokes.

Dualie springs can help with really snappy loads, but IME, most loads under sub-gun (1600FPS) can be well addressed with working on your grip. The notable exceptions being arthritis, or some other significant manual deficit. Personally, I'd check with ~500 rounds of practice ammo, and ~200 of carry.
Yeah, I'm not personally, having any issues, that require me to change my factory spring. The felt recoil, and target re-acquisition, on my full size M&P 9mm, is very manageable. I just wondered, if there was enough of a difference, to warrant, the cash outlay, to maybe help my wife. And if it was a significant difference, I can always, use a little more speed on follow up shots,(who cant''t) but, if it is not enough to be worth the investment, I'll wait. I can see where it would probably be a better set up, in a .40, 357 Sig, or more powerful cartridges. That was why I didn't jump on it right away.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”