Legit or gimmick?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Legit or gimmick?

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:57 pm
Rob72 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:42 pm I've come full-circle, coming back to using OEM springs, with a stainless rod. This is my set up (and likely to remain so)http://btguiderods.com/

I tried Sprinco, when they first came out, then again, a few years later. Sometimes good, but unless I consistently shot +P, I'd get short-strokes.

Dualie springs can help with really snappy loads, but IME, most loads under sub-gun (1600FPS) can be well addressed with working on your grip. The notable exceptions being arthritis, or some other significant manual deficit. Personally, I'd check with ~500 rounds of practice ammo, and ~200 of carry.
Yeah, I'm not personally, having any issues, that require me to change my factory spring. The felt recoil, and target re-acquisition, on my full size M&P 9mm, is very manageable. I just wondered, if there was enough of a difference, to warrant, the cash outlay, to maybe help my wife. And if it was a significant difference, I can always, use a little more speed on follow up shots,(who cant''t) but, if it is not enough to be worth the investment, I'll wait. I can see where it would probably be a better set up, in a .40, 357 Sig, or more powerful cartridges. That was why I didn't jump on it right away.
I am not in the market for this type of product either. After skimming the patent, this invention seems that it was designed for lighter framed [polymer] handguns.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:02 pm
Rob72 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:42 pm I've come full-circle, coming back to using OEM springs, with a stainless rod. This is my set up (and likely to remain so)http://btguiderods.com/

I tried Sprinco, when they first came out, then again, a few years later. Sometimes good, but unless I consistently shot +P, I'd get short-strokes.

Dualie springs can help with really snappy loads, but IME, most loads under sub-gun (1600FPS) can be well addressed with working on your grip. The notable exceptions being arthritis, or some other significant manual deficit. Personally, I'd check with ~500 rounds of practice ammo, and ~200 of carry.
Yeah, I'm not personally, having any issues, that require me to change my factory spring. The felt recoil, and target re-acquisition, on my full size M&P 9mm, is very manageable. I just wondered, if there was enough of a difference, to warrant, the cash outlay, to maybe help my wife. And if it was a significant difference, I can always, use a little more speed on follow up shots,(who cant''t) but, if it is not enough to be worth the investment, I'll wait. I can see where it would probably be a better set up, in a .40, 357 Sig, or more powerful cartridges. That was why I didn't jump on it right away.
I am not in the market for this type of product either. After skimming the patent, this invention seems that it was designed for lighter framed [polymer] handguns.
Yeah, all I saw were Glocks, H&K, and S&W that he had with him, at the show. I think this may be aimed more at the 40 cal,, in these guns. Like I said, It looked like a good idea, and I could see it for smaller framed, guns, especially, in more powerful calibers, or for people who are more sensitive to felt recoil, but I don't want to spend money, on something that won't make any noticeable difference. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:06 pm
WildBill wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Yeah, all I saw were Glocks, H&K, and S&W that he had with him, at the show. I think this may be aimed more at the 40 cal,, in these guns. Like I said, It looked like a good idea, and I could see it for smaller framed, guns, especially, in more powerful calibers, or for people who are more sensitive to felt recoil, but I don't want to spend money, on something that won't make any noticeable difference. JMHO
Yes, I think it is more for higher velocity loads.
If I thought it would help me with my 40 cal, I would probably buy one for my Sig. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

The lighter, broken in springs feel great, but the downside is they beat your gun up. This product is an interesting but probably unnecessary solution. And you know what, I'm crazy and curious enough to try it. :lol:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

WhoWouldGuess
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WhoWouldGuess »

"The allen head may just be for assembly, not adjustment... one would think if it was adjustable, he'd advertise that also."

It looks like he's giving Allen wrenches (they're in the photo) so they're probable not just for assembly. Or, maybe you vary the number of washers?

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Looks to be just for assembly purposes. No Allen wrench w/ mine. I'll give a range report tomorrow.

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

Scott B. wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:27 pm Looks to be just for assembly purposes. No Allen wrench w/ mine. I'll give a range report tomorrow.
Scott, which gun did you buy it for?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

My M&P9 Pro....and as far as I can tell, there's no difference between Gen 1 and M2.0 springs.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

...and more testing is required.

I took three recoil guide rod/spring assemblies with me for testing.

Left to right:

#1 is our subject aftermarket replacement
#2 is a brand new S&W stock replacement
#3 is a well used S&W original, long past due for replacement w/ over 14k rounds on it.

#3 shot very gentle, made me smile with regret that I cannot continue to run it.
#2 had a sharper and more noticeable cycle like you'd expect
#1....closer to #2 than #3, but I see potential.

I'm going to put another thousand rounds downrange this week as I'm in my final tune up for the School Safety instructor's course. Will continue to run the aftermarket piece and see if it breaks in a little more.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”