Range time (or lack of)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 1

Range time (or lack of)

Post by Odinvalknir »

I got curious this morning, are there any other guys here that don't have the time or money to go to the range every weekend or at least every other weekend? I maybe get to go to the range once a month if I am lucky. So obviously I am behind on my training and experience with my concealed carry weapon. I was wondering for guys like me who aren't able to go to the range all the time what do you do to train? Or work on proficiency with your weapon?

srothstein

Re: Range time (or lack of)

Post by srothstein »

I am lucky to get to the range once every three months right now (and for the past couple years). Money is always a factor, though I have enough ammo that it is not a serious factor. I just do not have time very often.
Steve Rothstein

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I'm not getting to the range as often as I'd like the last two or three months.

I supplement my lack of range time by doing dry fire exercises, utilizing snap caps.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Odinvalknir wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 am I got curious this morning, are there any other guys here that don't have the time or money to go to the range every weekend or at least every other weekend? I maybe get to go to the range once a month if I am lucky. So obviously I am behind on my training and experience with my concealed carry weapon. I was wondering for guys like me who aren't able to go to the range all the time what do you do to train? Or work on proficiency with your weapon?
Dry firing. Go to Amazon and search for Ben Stoeger dry fire. Google will find a plethora of dry fire articles.

If you are of the geekier persuasion, take a look at:
MantisX https://mantisx.com/
CoolFire https://coolfiretrainer.com/

A cheaper alternative is a dry fire magazine: https://www.dryfiremag.com/

If you like videos, go to YouTube and search for Active Self Protection. On the ASP page, search for dry fire.

I dry fire in addition to taking classes. I'm in the middle of Tom Givens' 2 day Dynamic Marksmanship http://rangemaster.com/training/dynamic-marksmanship/ at KR Training https://krtraining.com/.

Even when I am training, live fire practicing, or competing, dry fire is an invaluable part of my progression.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flechero

Post by flechero »

My lack of regular range time is driven by injury, not cash, but I understand your frustration completely.

In your situation, dry fire drills, dry draw one shot drills and reloads can be safely and effectively practiced at home. And honestly, you will see/feel significant improvement with as little as 5 minutes a day.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

I would echo the previous comments about dry fire. I don't always had the chance to shoot every week, but you can do a lot with just dry fire.

Building Trigger Finger Discipline

Online Dryfire Drills

If you are dedicated, you can do 3,000 dry fire draws from concealment in a weekend at no expense. I like to do that in conjunction with the online dryfire drills. The target appearing is a GO signal, just like real life.

If you get bored with dryfire, airsoft is cheap and you can practice with that in your backyard.

:txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Since changing jobs, in June, my work schedule, has limited my range time to, at best, once a month, I didn't go at all in August. I practice drawing and dry firing at home, at least two or three times a week, just to maintain muscle memory. Money has not been my issue, but time. I got about 2 hours and a hundred rounds in yesterday afternoon, before it started raining. I shot my carry gun, and 2 mags from my AR. I wish I could practice everyday, but that just isn't feasble for me, right now.

There are several practice excersises, you can do at home, As others have posted, working on trigger control, while dry firing, sight aqusition from the draw, etc..
Shooting is not cheap, but effective, qualty, practice, in my opinion, is better, than going out and throwing a lot of lead down range. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grundy1133 »

I havent been to the range in about 4 months and havent actually shot my gun (other than doing the test fire after cleaning) in about 3 months. I just started a new job and its kind of a catch 22... when i was unemployed i had all the time in the world to go shoot but no money. now that i do have a job i have money to go shoot but no time... I need to find a range close to me. I prefer indoor ranges because texas weather is so hot during the summer and bipolar the rest of the year (november-march) that you never know if it'll be 120 degrees or all of a sudden start pouring down on you. I live in such a small area that I currently have to drive to sherman or lewisville to go to the range. Another issue I face is not having anyone who will go with me. for me going to the range is like going out to a fancy restaurant or going to a movie theater. It's more fun if you do it with friend(s).. I'd love to go to the range every weekend if i couuld but unfortunately I cant as it is.

I definitely need to go tho I'm running out of room. my ammo box is full
43289638_2088059011239509_5303604562618220544_n.jpg
Last edited by Grundy1133 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Member

KLB

Post by KLB »

Once a month is an opimistic estimate of my range time. I doubt you are unusual, but I am going to check out the dry-fire drills.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Dry fire for sure! Just because it gets boring doesn't mean it's not useful. When you get a chance, once or twice a year(?), take a minimal costing tactical class to get more ideas on what/how to practice by yourself at the range. The indoor range I go to on the north side of Houston offers a $35 class which works on self defense / tactical shooting which I find to be very cost effective. I also just bought a DVD for $10, "Best 100 Round Practice Sessions" but have not watched it yet. Even if I get 10 good drills out of it it will be worth the money for more effective practice on my own.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

From mid-May to mid-November I don't go to the range.

Why not?

It's too darn hot even if I get there as soon as shooting is allowed.

I'll bet I'm not alone, but many (I'm of course guessing...) are loath to admit it...

I do find when once cool weather kicks in, my skills are still adequate, but no, not as refined as they become once winter sets in.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Abraham wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm From mid-May to mid-November I don't go to the range.

Why not?

I'll bet I'm not alone, but many (I'm of course guessing...) are loath to admit it...

I do find when once cool weather kicks in, my skills are still adequate, but no, not as refined as they become once winter sets in.
indoor ranges arent too bad during the summer.
NRA Member

proudpirate
Banned

Post by proudpirate »

Grundy1133 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm
Abraham wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm From mid-May to mid-November I don't go to the range.

Why not?

I've never been to fond of indoor ranges. No matter how much sound absorbing material they put up I always feel like I'm being blasted with muzzle concussion on either side of me. At least outdoors it's not as bad. But that's just my two cents.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

proudpirate wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:37 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Why not?

I've never been to fond of indoor ranges. No matter how much sound absorbing material they put up I always feel like I'm being blasted with muzzle concussion on either side of me. At least outdoors it's not as bad. But that's just my two cents.
fair enough.
NRA Member

rob777

Post by rob777 »

I've been doing the dry fire practice and drills using the MantisX (allows you to use your own handgun) and SIRT pistols from Next Level Training coupled with the LASR software. Pretty happy with both.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”